Which PCI slot?

woolybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see anyyhing directly related?
My question is which PCI slot should I use with a Zotac 8800gts. It takes up 2 PCI slots. My MB is a Asus P5W DH Deluxe. As I can see there are 2 free slots together, dircetly above my power supply (Antec P180 case)...or there seems to be a 'solo' white pci slot (pci 11 it says)..
Does it make a difference which slot I use?
Never had a dual slot card before.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Dual slot card means that the card will physically take up two slots on your PC. This is generally done to accomodate the cooling apparatus. The card still interfaces through only one slot. Simply plug in the card on the PCI-E slot closest to your CPU. You seem to be new to this, so I'll mention that your card is PCI-E, not PCI, so you have to plug it into the long slot. Your motherboard has a second slot because it supports SLi, but this slot is for a SEPARATE card. Notice how the two PCI-E slots aren't right next to each other. That is done specifically to accomodate dual slot cards. You will, however, lose the ability to plug in anything into the slot immediately below your PCI-E slot - live with it.

Short answer.....use the top one :)

I have used both with no issues(separately).....so if you find it more convenient on the bottom slot you can do so with no problem....

If you ever put a card in both however, each slot will be cut in half....so you will run 2 8X slots. for now with one card, what ever slot you put it in will get full 16 bandwidth.....