Sign in with
Your question
Closed

WARNING!!!! about athlon black addition

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2007 3:46:17 PM

hi my name bill and i have got a athlon 5000 black and it says 5000 is 2.6ghz but warning it only runs at 2 ghz and you can set the multiplyer but it only maxes at 2ghz which isnt very good except theres 2 of them so that helps.

if anyone else has this problem tell me and ill make you in my letter to amd so they know!!! and maybe can help!!! or if you haven't boughten a processor yet get one that has intel inside!

December 19, 2007 3:56:11 PM

Have you tried updating your bios? Thats the first thing they will say. And what motherboard do you have?
December 19, 2007 4:00:36 PM

Can you post a screenshot of CPU-Z?
Related resources
December 19, 2007 4:21:50 PM

its not the bios i put in another processor a friends and now it doesn't work in his system but in mine it worked ok, his was a athlon 5600 and it worked ok

screenshots dont work in vista
December 19, 2007 4:24:15 PM

frys they have everything
December 19, 2007 4:26:59 PM

Something is wrong with your setup. I have a 5000+ black edition and can set my multiplier all the way up to 25x if I really wanted. Overclocks to just about 3.4 with effort, 3.1 with stock voltage.

Im currently running it at 3.0 at stock voltage.

15 x 200 MHz = 3000Mhz
All I did was raise the multiplier.

Be sure to check your BIOS settings for FSB and HTT. Or perhaps reset the BIOS to defaults, check for an updated one from the motherboard manufacturer, and check for Brisbane support for the board also.
December 19, 2007 4:28:06 PM

"screenshots dont work in vista"

Huh?!? I've never had an issue. Hit the printscreen key, paste the image in MS Paint.

-TyShoe
December 19, 2007 4:29:41 PM

my fsb is 1000, and hyperthreading transport is only on intel processors this is amd if you have one its got two processors but not hyperthreading transport

my multiplyer is already on, see in signature?

what is brisbane?
December 19, 2007 4:33:13 PM

HTT - HyperTransport not Hyper threading.

FSB and Hyper Transport are different

AMDs have a different linkup architecture than Intels do to their northbridge.

Set your multiplier manually if you have to 13 for stock speed of 2.6GHz

Set your VCore manually to 1.35 which is the highest stock voltage possible for the chip.

Set your FSB to 200MHz
HTT to 1000MHz

Brisbane is the name of the core design that the 5000+ Black Edition uses.
December 19, 2007 4:33:16 PM

:heink: 

This is his configuration:

I have a awesome computer for gaming!
-Intel 680i Chipset with RAM
-4GB SYSTEM RAM!!!!!!! (and 533!!!)
-eNvidia eGeForce 8800GTX 256MB (SUPER FAST)
-AMD Athlon 5000+ black addition (at 2GHZ with multiplyer)
-1 Tarrabite HD space with 2 400GB and a 80GB and a 120GB
-Odigy ex-fi external fidelity fatality addition
-Disabled onboard comports
-disabled onboard printer parallellport
-fullspeed USB 2 enabled!

Errr.. how the hell do ya run a 5000+ B/E on an INTEL (edit: oopp.. Nvidia) 680i chipset???????????????????

:pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
December 19, 2007 4:34:32 PM

irhealx0r said:
my fsb is 1000, and hyperthreading transport is only on intel processors this is amd if you have one its got two processors but not hyperthreading transport

what is brisbane?

Wrong way round mate ... AMD = HTT ... Intel = FSB

brisbane is the codename given to the 65nm K8 cores.

If your 5000BE isn't behaving, then it's going to be a bios issue. It probably didn't work in a friends because his motherboard may not support the 65nm chips without a bios update.

As others have asked, you need to take a screenshot of CPU-Z and host it somewhere so we can see what it's saying.
December 19, 2007 4:36:24 PM

Grimmy said:

Errr.. how the hell do ya run a 5000+ B/E on an INTEL (edit: oopp.. Nvidia) 680i chipset???????????????????

And a special edition 256mb GTX... I'm sure they only came in one flavour (768)
December 19, 2007 4:39:41 PM

im at work, i cant do a cpu-z plus screenshots dont work in vista

also if i did a screenshot would i look for a multiplyer for hyperthreading? i think it says i have 2 threads last time i saw it
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2007 4:39:45 PM

TyroneShoelaces said:
"screenshots dont work in vista"

Huh?!? I've never had an issue. Hit the printscreen key, paste the image in MS Paint.

-TyShoe

Then somebody *obviously* sold you a copy of XP with WindowBlinds installed. You should go beck to the vendor and demand your money back.

Meh...
December 19, 2007 4:43:24 PM

You may need to swap out your chair-to-keyboard interface.
December 19, 2007 4:43:31 PM

Grimmy said:

OMG i have got to get me a system like that... a 256mb Graphics card wow... costly.
December 19, 2007 4:44:30 PM

I have come to two conclusions:

1. You have no clue what you're doing / what you're talking about.

2. You're high.

Quote:

Yeah, buddy, they do.

Quote:
And a special edition 256mb GTX... I'm sure they only came in one flavour (768)
lol, I think by special, he means non-existant. That or he bought it from a flea market or something. Although... he could have been lied to at Fry's, the employees at the Fry's near me does that crap all the time.

Fry's Employee: "Yeah, you'll want a Pentium D 9xx at 3Ghz... it's way faster than that E6750 and 2.66Ghz"

*edit*
Quote:
You may need to swap out your chair-to-keyboard interface.
LOL! I concur. :D 
December 19, 2007 4:49:00 PM

Ahhhh HAAA... I see the problem:

His onboard printer is overloading his USB 2... sooo that's where hes getting only 2 ghz.

:oops: . o O (J/K!!)
December 19, 2007 4:49:45 PM

Hypertransport NOT hyperthreading
The link is usually 1000Mhz
You have a bunch of stuff to keep in mind...

You might want to google about overclocking the black edition 5000+ and learn something about the proper setup of these chips.

December 19, 2007 4:53:34 PM

Grimmy said:

Wow, how did I miss that? :sweat: 

I lol'd anyway

Maybe he needs more Tarrabites of High Definition space and obviously more than 537 RAMs
December 19, 2007 4:54:07 PM

The Athlon64 Black Edition is newer than the 5600+ you tried before and will need a BIOS update my friend. The motherboard has to recognize the new stepping and that is done through a bios update only.

Quote:
Grimmy wrote :

:heink:  :ouch:  :pfff: 
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2007 4:55:23 PM

/popcorn
December 19, 2007 4:56:23 PM

In order to flash the BIOS will he need C cell or D cell batteries in his flashlight?
December 19, 2007 4:57:21 PM

how bout you put a bananna in the flux capacitor and let someone that knows what they are doing fix your computer... lol
December 19, 2007 4:57:44 PM

Quote:
I missed that as well. Epic fail.

Also, you're obviously not using the correct Thermal Compound... place mayonnaise between the processor and HS and then you can achieve speeds greater than 5Ghz.
December 19, 2007 4:58:06 PM

irhealx0r said:

LOL!!!!!

I know exactly what your problem is! Your cpu has too many pins, try taking some out.
December 19, 2007 5:01:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
irhealx0r wrote :

I know exactly what your problem is! Your cpu has too many pins, try taking some out.

LOL
December 19, 2007 5:04:21 PM

Download more ram too.
December 19, 2007 5:04:34 PM

jnava121 said:
how bout you put a bananna in the flux capacitor and let someone that knows what they are doing fix your computer... lol

"I think I've found the capacitors, how can you tell if one is fluxing or not?"

December 19, 2007 5:05:14 PM

um some of u r jerks, im just try to overclock and i need help

so do I put it at 2000? i read that it needs 2000mts, is that like 2000mhz? what is the ts?
December 19, 2007 5:10:35 PM

First of all, you need a new motherboard that actually supports your proc. For 680i, the i is for Intel Procs, you need the 6xxa, but I'm not sure if that is only made for Quad FX.

Try listing the model of your motherboard and not just the chipset, then people can determine if you can even run that proc in your rig.
December 19, 2007 5:16:31 PM

Setting your HTT to 2000 will probably void every warranty on every item in your box if it ever boots up.
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2007 5:27:57 PM

Damn.... Ran out of Popcorn.... BRB....
December 19, 2007 5:41:03 PM

taking a screenshot in windows vista..

Quote:
Taking a screenshot in Windows Vista is quite easy. Free and commercial softwares do come do help you do this job, but you can do without them as the screenshot function is built into Windows. Just press the PrintScreen (or Prnt Scrn) button on your keyboard and Windows will copy the entire screen image to the system clipboard. Use Alt+PrintScreen if you want only the currently active window.

This done, we just need to get the screenshot image out of the clipboard and save it to a file. If you have a favorite graphics or photo editing program that you prefer, open that program now. If not, open the Microsoft Paint program. To do so, press Start, Run, type MSPAINT at the prompt, then press Enter key.

When MS Paint opens, click on Edit, then Paste. The screenshot image will be pasted from the clipboard into your MS Paint window. You may now save it as an image file, click on File, then Save As. Enter a file name that you can remember, then select JPG in the Save as type box (you may also select any other format like PNG, or BMP). Make note of the folder where you’re storing the file in and press Enter or click the Save button to save the file.

Other than the chair to keyboard interface problem, I assume the 5000 BE has AMD's Cool n Quiet feature on, which is probably throttling the cpu to 2ghz or below.
December 19, 2007 5:46:57 PM

Try, carefully now, pushing back from the keyboard. Put down the crackpipe...... and DON'T EVER MESS WITH STUFF YA DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT!!!!
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/hei...
Pick up a book, Lil Bro'..... DAMN!!! Ya hafta understand the architecture just a wee bit before just tearing into it. Take your time and you'll be rollin' in no time......http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/ouc...
:ouch: 

http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/pff...
:pfff: 
December 19, 2007 5:49:07 PM

Quote:
Other than the chair to keyboard interface problem, I assume the 5000 BE has AMD's Cool n Quiet feature on, which is probably throttling the cpu to 2ghz or below.
This is most likely the case.
December 19, 2007 6:09:59 PM

This is my favourite part:
eNvidia eVGA eGeForce, although the 'Odigy' is a close second.
I'd don't want to laugh, but it's quite a challenge.
December 19, 2007 6:10:16 PM

cool and quiet is off or it isn't as good for overclocks

and also there's a lot of noise coming from the power supply now, which wasnt the case yesterday when i was puting it together. could thee power supply be causing this?

plus i still crash alot
December 19, 2007 6:14:57 PM

irhealx0r

Seriously mate if you want people to help you have to give some more information. Power supplies making noise generally isn't a good sign.

Why don't you post your real specs?
December 19, 2007 6:15:32 PM

irhealx0r said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about because the multiplier is always "on" and can be set at broad range of values.

To everyone else: Are we sure this isn't just somebody "leading us on" for fun? I mean... you'd have to TRY to get system specs that far off and that poorly spelled... right?
<blames American Public Education System>

-mcg
December 19, 2007 6:18:30 PM

Wow.... Just wow.
December 19, 2007 6:19:30 PM

um sorry if i dont care about spellcheck in a forum, im at work i cant look at the boxes to see what i have and how its all spelled its all made up words anyway (odigy, athlon, hyperthreading, processor)

also my system specs are in my signature look at it there its all correct
December 19, 2007 6:20:35 PM

Quote:
This is my favourite part:
eNvidia eVGA eGeForce, although the 'Odigy' is a close second.
I'd don't want to laugh, but it's quite a challenge.

Golden.

Quote:
and also there's a lot of noise coming from the power supply now, which wasnt the case yesterday when i was puting it together. could thee power supply be causing this?

plus i still crash alot

What brand is your PSU? Cheap PSU's have crappy fans that will cause hideous noises. They also have other cheap parts that could be causing your crashes, although, I think that is due to an unstable OC.

One of the older PC's at work as a really, really cheap PSU, and it sounds like someone is running a hair dryer all the time.
December 19, 2007 6:22:40 PM

yeah i took the pwoer supply from my old system but it should be fine, my other system was stable 100% of the time except for popups would crash games, but i think i fixed that when i put the anti-virus software on

its a maddog powersupply 250W
a c 85 à CPUs
December 19, 2007 6:23:27 PM

I'm sorry dude, but I'm with the others on this. You OBVIOUSLY have no idea whats going on. Take the computer to a shop/friend and have them fix it. If you are serious about your sig, in addition to not knowing anything about vista, you don't have a clue as to whats in your computer. Give it to someone more knowledgeable so that they can fix it. If you are the smart one among your friends, send it to a shop.

BTW, you never try to overclock a chip if you "still crash alot". Overclocking is for stable computers that have all the bugs worked out. I would never overclock a brand new machine, as I have no idea if the parts work. My current computer has been stable now for over one year, more then enough time to start overclocking it. If you have a lot of crashes, going out and buying an overclocking chip isn't the answer.

For those who said it was cool and quiet, are you sure? I thought C&Q dropped the multiplier to 6, meaning it should run at 1.2GHz, not 2.0GHz. I agree with the earlier suggestion, its probably either a bios update thats needed, or manually setting the CPU up in the bios.
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2007 6:24:55 PM

I'm still stuck on the part where an Althon has been stuffed into a Socket 775... Did you use a waffle iron?
December 19, 2007 6:27:39 PM

I agree, cool and quiet.
@ OP: Don't let these people get to you. You need to stress the CPU to see the full speed, or disable cool and quiet in the BIOS.

Do NOT start changing settings in BIOS until you fully understand what you are doing, or you WILL fry your machine.
It will be a very expensive and aggravating mistake. Take a deep breath and read the manual slowly and completely. If you aren't sure that you know a term then Google it, things will go a lot faster and you will understand a lot better in the long run. Since this thread has degraded so much, I suggest you ignore any further posts and spend you time on research. Take my warning above seriously it's real easy to damage things.

Good luck.
a c 85 à CPUs
December 19, 2007 6:29:01 PM

OMG, this gets worse and worse!

Since when was "processor" a made up word? Your running all of this off of a 250W powersupply? Turn off your computer and send it to a shop! Do NOT turn it on when you get home. You are killing whatever is really inside of it. Someone who knows more about computers needs to have a look at it.
!