Installing Direct Contact Heat Pipe Coolers?

cyborg28

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
What is the best way to apply thermal compound to these coolers as the bases have large gaps between pipes and baseplate?

Also what sort of compound?

I am installing a Xigmatek s-1283 onto a Q6600 both stock (unlapped).

I have OCZ Ultra 5 TIM and the stuff that came from Xigmatek.

What should I use and how should I put it on.

I normally rely on the instructions from Arctic Silver.

Cyborg

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
i wondered about that as well, same processor and cooler. i just used my trusty ole' plastic grocery bag stretched over a finger method to apply a thin layer to the heatsink base and the cpu heatspreader. it seems to be working just fine. I didn't worry about trying to fill in all the gaps or anything, didn't really make much sense at the time, plus arctic silver 5 is kinda expensive to be wasting.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I was reading a review of the Xigmatek s-1283 (can't remember where) and the guy tried different methods. The best method he found was to apply a thin line directly along each heatpipe and then attach the heatsink. This ensured there was enough TIM between each heatpipe and the heat spreader. This method uses more TIM than usual, but the excess will find it's way into the gaps rather than squishing over the side.

The reviewer found the traditional method (line of TIM down the center of the heatspreader) did not allow the TIM to spread out to the outer heatpipes.

It's important to note that it's only important the the heatpipes have good contact on these types of heatsinks. The metal blocks between the pipes are there for stability; they transfer little or no heat.

Also, read this:
When applying thermal interface material to the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 exposed copper heatpipe 120mm CPU cooler, it's very important to understand that most TIM's used with aluminum coolers will cause oxidation to the copper heatpipes upon contact.

Unfortunately, Xigmatek did not include any special TIM for their exposed copper base, which is an accountable oversight. While nearly any TIM will suffice, it is recommended that you do not use a material based on silicone oxide for best results and product longevity.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...task=view&id=81&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=2

Edit: Oh, here you go. This isn't the review I was reading but it seems to be better and has some good pictures:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=4