Sign in with
Your question

Xps gen 4all diagnostic lights green but not booting up

Last response: in Windows XP
May 13, 2010 4:12:46 PM

Hello,
I have an Dell XPS dimention Gen 4.
Working fine then when switched on it wouldent boot up.
The four diagnostic leds at thr back are all green and stay on, which is correct.
It will not boot up in safe mode or from a cd.
When I put a windows XP cd in and try to boot from this it downloads data and then ask for a restart--but when the bios is finished loading and the screen changes to ask for to select windows XP home edition everything stops and the screen goes black.
Any ideas. I am technical but this a right pain.
May 13, 2010 5:26:10 PM

Diver_54 said:
Hello,
I have an Dell XPS dimention Gen 4.
Working fine then when switched on it wouldent boot up.
The four diagnostic leds at thr back are all green and stay on, which is correct.
It will not boot up in safe mode or from a cd.
When I put a windows XP cd in and try to boot from this it downloads data and then ask for a restart--but when the bios is finished loading and the screen changes to ask for to select windows XP home edition everything stops and the screen goes black.
Any ideas. I am technical but this a right pain.

The system has been infected by a virus. Reminds me of the iexploit virus. There are antivirus disks which can boot without starting windows, and will connect, update, clean the hard drive, and allow you to start a windows repair install without reformatting. Be sure to have your internet connection on. If you do manage to get the system repaired using that method, be sure to back up your files in case you are attacked again.
Another method is to remove the hard disk, install it in a computer that already has a working XP system hard disk, and a working high quality anti virus. After starting XP, scan your drive using the antivirus on the operational drive. Recover and save all your files from your damaged hard drive.
Then you can reformat your drive in the original computer, reinstall your OS, reinstall your saved files. But look out. Install a high quality antivirus in your computer to prevent future attacks. The antivirus you were using before the attack did not do such a great job, did it?
May 13, 2010 6:26:35 PM

Try pulling the CMOS batter for ~5 minutes to reset the BIOS.

If that doesn't help, boot off the XP disc, and into the repair console. Run the following commands.
chkdsk /r
fixboot
fixmbr
sfc /scannow
!