Hello ! I have a question about power supplies

My friend gave me two (8500GT's SLI) and i want to try them. My question is what kind of power supply would be enough to run them??

This is my rig
CPU: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI premium
Video Card: 7600GT 256 mb, pci-e
HD: SATA 160 GB
HD: ATA 40 GB
13 answers Last reply
More about hello question power supplies
  1. What have you currently got... They wont need much juice as the are a low end card... youll even find that they arent real good in performance either
  2. Pretty much anything 400W and over.
  3. They are only 80W peak, about 6.5A each. A good name 420W PSU should be fine, not a $50 no-name jobby!

Mike.
  4. Orgazia said:
    My friend gave me two (8500GT's SLI) and i want to try them. My question is what kind of power supply would be enough to run them??

This is my rig
    CPU: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI premium
    Video Card: 7600GT 256 mb, pci-e
    HD: SATA 160 GB
    HD: ATA 40 GB

You left out your PSU... Since that's what you enquired about, don't you think that's a bit that has some import to the topic?
  5. Just grab a Corsair 520, it should last you a while...
  6. croc said:
    You left out your PSU... Since that's what you enquired about, don't you think that's a bit that has some import to the topic?

Ohh.. shoot, forgot about it lol
    well, my power supply is some piss of s*** called Optimax 550W (link for that):
    http://www.cancomputer.com/index.php?sku=2992

As i understand its a generic PSU.
  7. Wow that's an Optimax?... Never heard of them. Based on this info on the website and the $36 cost I say dump it before it blows up your system.
    Quote:
    Highlights:
    An affordable 550W Power Supply Unit with two cooling fans.
    Try one of these, Newegg links for convienience.

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 12V @ 41A
    CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 12V @ 40A
    CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 12V @ 33A
  8. As far as i concern, newegg don't ship to Canada.

So what do u think about this one?
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974309&CatId=2036
  9. I said Newegg links for convenience, that is my convenience not yours. In other words look for those PSUs on a website that you like.

Nope, the Ultra is a tier 4. See Official XS Tiered PSU Manufacturer Brand Listing Phase III.

Try this Corsair VX450W 450-Watt. It's not on the list but it is good. See this review VX450W.
  10. The PSU is decent but Tiger Direct tends to be more expensive than other companies. I am American so I'm not totally sure of the best deals in Canada but I have seen positive remarks on NCIX and other's so I would shop around a little to find the best price. Ultra is ok but I would go with FSP, PC P&C, Seasonic, Corsair, Thermaltake (Toughpower), OCZ or Antec instead.
  11. Here you go, NCIX.com - Antec Earthwatts 430W. It's cheap and will do the job. I believe it is Seasonic built, at least the 500W Earthwatts is. Here is a review of it's bigger brother the Antec EarthWatts EA-500 500W. It scored well.
  12. Thank you very much!!! You saved me here ! Thanks again!
  13. Happy to help.

Good luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies SLI Components Product