Which P35 motherboard... Asus P5K or Gigabyte DS3?

zeroneleven

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I'm planning my first computer build but I'm having trouble choosing a motherboard. I need one with onboard firewire. I've narrowed it down to these two:

- Asus P5K-E

- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P

I'll be running an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, two WD sata HDD's, an Asus EN7300GT video card and a Corsair CMPSU-520HX power supply. Not sure what RAM yet, but it'll definitely be 4GB DDR2 800.

This is for a digital audio workstation. Stability is the most important consideration, followed by low noise level, and speed. I probably won't overclock, unless I can increase performance and still be stable.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on which board to go with.
Thanks very much.

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Same. Owned a P5K-E for some time now...just after they came out.

Ive had an E6700 on it for about 6 months or so now...maybe longer. It cools exceptionally well.

And it hasnt hiccupped once. In fact, I havent even had to think about it for some time, which is a good thing. I may upgrade to an E8400, but Im definitely keeping this mobo.

zeroneleven

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
ooh, 3 votes for Asus! Hmm.. maybe I won't have to flip a coin!

There's still two things that bother me.

1) multiple reviews that say Asus quality control is poor

2) the generic firewire controller.. "agere" or something, compared to Gigabyte's TI firewire

An extra PCI slot would be nice though. And better cooling it seems.

zeroneleven

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Most of those reviews were from newegg. But I've also read in some forums about Asus QC issues.

Does anyone know where I can find the memory QVL for the P5K-E? I couldn't find it on their website.

zeroneleven

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
from the Asus P5K-E website:

"Support Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-core CPU"

I believe you'll need to update BIOS to 0906.

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Dont listen to Newegg reviews.

Dont get me wrong...I buy a lot from them.

But I swear...their clientel must be 80% 12 year old kids that dont know what a driver is.

They expect to just plug something in and go...90% of the "complaints" that I see...are just people being morons.

Then when they blow something up, they give the product a 1.

Tards I tell you.

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Also...you shouldnt need a QVL for RAM on it.

Ive used OCZ, Kingston, Samsung, and GSkill.

While you may have to adjust the speed in the BIOS, I have not yet had a set that didnt boot right up.