Importing security certificates from XP

philip663

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hey all

Have a slight problem which after spending hours searching the internet trying to find answers and solutions iv decided to ask the question.

My situation, My documents on my old pc where encrypted/secure which ever one it is so that i could only see them and what not. One day my pc decided it didnt want work so i bought a new one. So naturaly i stick my old hard drive in my new pc (i had two hard drives in my old one, one for systems and program files, and the other for personal stuff) The one with personal stuff works fine in my new pc, although i cant accsess my documents which is what i want :(. Iv put the other hard drive in my new pc with the systems stuff on (running it as a second drive) and extracted what i thought was the security certificates. Iv tried placing them in there correct places, or what i believe is the correct places but it doesn't do anything to them. The files still appear green and says access denied.

Im stuck, what do i do?

Thanks phil

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It's a bit worrying that Documents isn't working for you - did your XP system have a password Vista doesn't have? Try right clicking the folder, click Security and take ownership of the entire folder, ticking also to take sub-folders.

I'm not too sure about Certificates but it should be sufficient to take both the IE folders from Documents and Settings>{yourname}>Application Data>Microsoft>Internet Explorer and from Local Settings>Application Data>Microsoft>Internet Explorer and put them into Vista C:\Users>{yourname}Local>Application Data.

Give that a go and post back if it doesn't do the trick. Someoone will have a better idea.

philip663

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hey thanks for the reply, iv already taken ownership of the files, but it says i dont have permission to view them. They are all highlighted green. I moved the files over like you said but its not done anything =[. Iv got my old system's hard drive in at the minute, is there anyway i could extract the certificates or what ever security i would need out of the hard drive and put them on too my vista system?

Thanks phil