Sign in with
Your question

dvd burner with ide and sata

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2008 12:22:19 AM

My memorex 3252AJI has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought the thing several years ago. I want to replace with a DVD burner. I want a sata drive and since I don't have any sata ports yet (old motherboard IDE only) I would use a sata to ide interface. Can any one recommend both a fast quiet burners and a sata to ide adapter?

More about : dvd burner ide sata

October 16, 2008 12:31:00 AM

I recommend purchasing a SATA controller card over using an adapter for performance reasons. Promise is a well known and widely used brand.
October 16, 2008 12:58:06 AM

+1 on the PCI SATA controller card. Those sata to ide adapters are a little picky about working or not working all the time.
Related resources
October 16, 2008 1:11:00 AM

Others will probably disagree with me but I would go with a Pioneer or Sony burner over a LITE-ON. I had a LITE-ON fail on me once while it was under warranty, and I was unable to get a response from LITE-ON via email or phone. No, it is perhaps not correct to condemn a company over a single bad experience, but I know I can return something to Pioneer or Sony without sacrificing chickens.
October 18, 2008 1:05:02 AM

That is what I thought about the adapters. The price difference between a PCI card and adapter is small so I will get a PCI card. Any recommendations? Linux support is a must. DOS too if possible.

I was leaning toward a samsung SH-S223. Comments?
October 18, 2008 1:11:58 AM

Looks nice but keep in mind that performance is all about media compatibility.

"Try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden for media. I have this drive and can confirm that it writes at 22x with Verbatim media.
by Firefly, XYZ, on May 30, 2008 07:10 PM" quoted from http://www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/Samsung_WriteMast...
October 22, 2008 7:40:31 PM

Quote:
Looks nice but keep in mind that performance is all about media compatibility.

"Try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden for media. I have this drive and can confirm that it writes at 22x with Verbatim media.
by Firefly, XYZ, on May 30, 2008 07:10 PM" quoted from http://www.techtree.com/India/Revi [...] 0-633.html

I will keep that in mind. Thanks,
!