HP Blackbird 002 Bios version 5.05 flashed on an Asus Striker Extreme

The_King

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
The Striker Extreme is a 680i chipset and supports Sli only not x-Fire. Hp have taken the Striker Exteme and added their own Bios that allows it to run X-Fire as Well !!! So i was thinking if i download the Bios from Hp site and Flash my Mobo maybe I will also have X-Fire and Sli supported on my Asus striker extreme. So has anybody done this with any success ?

The_King

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Yes here is the original article

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601277/hp-blackbird-kicks-the-living-crap-out-of-dell-xps--read-the-hp-interview.html

I must say Although the 8800 GTX / Ultra is still King of the Hill
To purchase two of these monsters is still very expensive.

We all know from reviews that two 8800 gt's are better than 1 8800 Gtx
And we also know that Two 3870 in x-Fire are better and cheaper than 2 8800gt's in Sli

With The 3870 X2 coming out soon it stands to reason the 2 3870 X2's in
X-Fire will be what most gamers will want. Since they should outperform 2 8800 Gtx in Sli !!!

I just spent alot of moola on my new system and not very happy that option
to run x-Fire on my Asus striker Extreme is deliberately disable by nvidia by them disabling peer writes in the BIOS since the board can support x-fire. (HP Blackbird 002 is proof of this)

The_King

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Obviously you have to use hacked drivers that goes without saying but if enabling crossfire on a 680i Mobo sounds stupid to you. Then YOU are clueless my friend.

The_King

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
I do have the BIOS from Hp, when you extract the installation file the HP BIOS rom 505.rom is is exactly the same size as the Asus BIOS 1305.bin. (1024kb)

I have loaded the BIOS with AsusUpdate and in the comments it reads ,

"BIOS image format correct , you can press button to update BIOS ROM."

I have two Asus striker MOBO one is RMA still never get it back yet its has been over a month. Really don't want to risk this Mobo until i get the other one is back. Plus I don't have any Ati cards to Crossfire yet.

But if some other Brave soul wants to give it a go let me know what happens. :)

richard_crl032

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Well, I took the plunge and flash mine with HP BB BIOS 5.06 that was recently released and installation of Vista 32-bit was fine.

However, when I tried to install the BB Nvidia driver, it reported error msg that my system does not meet the (hardware?) requirement. BB Networking driver installed without problem but the same error msg was reported on the BB drivers for Soundmax, SATA etc. One finding was that after I installed the Soundmax driver from Asus SE, I did manage to install the BB Soundmax driver over it but not for the BB SATA and Nvidia drivers.

After googling for weeks, it was also reported that you need the BB ATI or Nvidia drivers and the trick to use newer ATI gfx is to update only the driver but leave the CCC untouched. However, I need to be able to install the BB gfx drivers in the first place!

Look forward to some good news on getting their DIY BB running or confirmation that I should give up trying due to some unknown hardware restriction that HP BB has that prevent this. BTW I am using 9600GT SLI and not sure if I need to use 8800GTX or Ultra as in the original setup and that the error msg is telling me that the new 9600GT SLI is not supported.

Regards,

Richard@Singapore