wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
So today I decided that I was, just for the heck of it, going to run my system outside of my case. There was no problems, and it was actually a little cooler, but the question is, is it smart? I have it on a 1" thick piece of wood. I was just wondering if there is any adverse effects to running a system outside of its case.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I forget who, but there was a forum user that ran his system in a cardboard box for months with no adverse effects...

(Where did you find a 1" thich board?)

But for long-term safety, I'd recommend a case. Farady shield, ground plane, better airflow are just a few reasons.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Cats, dogs, small children, the wife, your best bud, snooping moms and dads, the next door neighbor, stupid cousin with a screwdriver in hand ..... did I leave anybody off of the list.

The list?

Reasons why cases are usually desired.

Shielding, Grounding, and protection from spliis and curious animals (yes, this includes friends and family....) are why computers live in cases.

But you are correct: It will certainly work perfectly well outside a case. And I bet could even be made to look really great *if* you got artistic with cables and routing. Especially with a water cooled system...

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[strike][/strike]Well this is probably only going to exist outside my case temporarily - just until I can finish my new system. Besides, the case I was using was heavy, even for an mATX case, and it was originally an HP computer so it had all these weird plastic things that were a pain to use. I'm planning on switching to an ATX board and leaving it outside of a case until I end up buying a case. I'm a cheapo like that.

sneeks

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
i intentionally built a case into a banana box once. i know one guy who built a media center into the wall of his house with just a screen showing. wireless keyboard/mouse.

pojomofo

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Yeah, with my luck, I would for sure end up with my mountain dew on all my components, I have actually spilled mountain dew on my case before, nice sticky mess

What happens if you stick a finger in a fan accidentally? OK, you've probably got 10 fingers, so one or two less won't be the end of the world, but still, it's messy. :)

Also, a decent case with filters would help against dust.

TRENDING THREADS