Jurassic Park question . . . kind of ;)

clumsypyro

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
So on newegg it says that the 150 GB 10k VelociRaptor drive is a "Bare Drive" here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=22-136-296&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=(keywords)&=0&=10&Page=3

my question is, what is a bare drive? do i need to do anything special to it? will the spindles be exposed and is that going to be bad for them if yes? logic tells me that it would be bad for the drive, but what do i know :kaola:

clumsypyro

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
that's what i figured but the pictures on newegg show a different story, thanks for the info and help though, much appreciated ^_^

:)

Bare or OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) just has no pretty box(plain cardboard) and manual. Its that way for system builders

It does not matter much anyway, not like you need a manual anyway. Screw drive in to case with 4 screws, plug in power and data cables :)

A retail box would have a manual/instructions and a nice picture on the box.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
why does the picture on the site show the drive in that way? is the top removable or something and why would it be?