inchiuvatu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
hey guys

I have been floating around the forum and i cant find any good info on the QX6700
if it's good for Oc'ing and the like i have managed to find a reasonably priced one and am upgrading from an E6600

the system setup at the moment is...

e6600 (3.4ghz 1.42v) running 30's avg (orthos stable for 20 minutes... will be checking 8-12hour run tonight)
striker 2 formula
2gb 800mhz ram

my alternatives are wait over a month for the q9450
or wait a week or two for an e8500

if anyone could share an oppinion on which one will have more success O.C. on my board i would appreciate it.

Also im sure it's a TOTALLY Stupid question but for the Extreme chips you can raise the multiplers as well as the FSB, do you have the raise the Vcore as much when you OC using higher multiplers and lower fsb?

Thanks

If you are a gamer go with the e8500. It should overclock to 4GHZ. It is also 45nm, should stay cooler.

Yes with any processor you have to raise Vcore at some point to continue overclocking.

inchiuvatu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
im doing it mainly for the laugh and getting some higher Cinebench and 3dmark scores, with my current video card setup i wont be looking to the future when playing games, ill be waiting for the next gen of card to come out.

my question about the Vlotages, are if i set my fsb to 376x9 and i need 1.425v to post.. but if i could set the it to 340x10 or even 310x11 would i need the same Voltage settings?

halcyon

Splendid
QX processors have unlocked multipliers which means you can overclock them easier without stressing the front side bus (FSB). However, today's enthusiast motherboards are designed to have their FSB's overclocked. So with a QX processor you have 2 ways to overclock, via the muliplier and the FSB...much more flexibility, and you typically pay a premium for the privilege.

However again, its hard to recommend a $1K processor when you can overclock a $300 processor to high levels too. There's so many variables to consider I won't waste your time with all of them.

If money is really not an issue consider a QX series processor for its overclocking flexibility. If money is not irrelevant you can get GREAT performance for a lot less money. You may not have as many bragging rights though.

inchiuvatu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
think i might go with the qx6700, i found on that is only €30 more expensive than the q9450 and it seems like i will be able to have more fun with it... thanks for the help guys
if only i can stablize the 3.4 i'll be happy!!

inchiuvatu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
i have it booting at 3.4 and runs well.. i can loads things like cod4, but orthos stops after 2 or 3 minutes.. im using speedfan 4 to read temps and using linpack to test throughput the temps hit 55-65c (but flucuate) the drop instantly to 32-35c

halcyon

Splendid

You may need to adjust your vcore, northbridge, or RAM voltage to get it stable if you don't want to back your over clock down.

inchiuvatu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
i took a look at another site to get a few suggested voltages for 3.4 and i was right with 1.425, i change my settings to 425x8 to get a porper 3.4ghz ... and just as i typed it crapped out orthos.. ill have to play around with voltages more... is it true that each cpu will act differently? and in some might be better and running at low voltages than others?

thanks for the info so far guys

inchiuvatu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
something wierd is going on ... in bios it set 425x8... in asus software it says 425x8.... in linpack it's 239x16... and in orthos it's 3.8ghz (239 x16) and everest-home it's 239x16...

anyone know which is correct?

halcyon

Splendid

:ouch:

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I have a QX6700 but I use the Intel 975xbx2 mb
Use CPU Z to verify your CPU clock speeds.

Doesnt a 425 clock speed translate to a 1700FSB (425x4). I havent seen a lot of success going past a 400 clock (at least on this mb) on this processor.

My experience is if it boots, runs for a while then hangs it is an issue with the FSB speed - mine did the same when I pushed it up to 3.8G. I fixed it by raising the voltage on the FSB but it was generating an incredible amount of heat when all cores were running.

To run at 3.4G set the clock to 340 with a 10X multiplier and see if it passes.

Good Luck