A7N8X-E deluxe -- fans on when power connected, no post

MrNatural

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I bought my son a Sandisk e280 mp3 player, and his 4-year-old computer wasn't able to recognize it (player works on other computers). Sandisk support said it was a USB power problem. I found a few posts around the 'net that suggested that changing the USB jumpers from +5VSB to +5 would give USB more juice. I tried this last night, and as soon as power is re-connected to the system, the A7N8X's light comes on and all fans (including CPU fan) turn on -- without touching the "power on" button. The computer does not boot. Pushing the power-on & reset buttons does nothing. I switched the jumpers back to +5VSB, but that had no effect: the fans still run as soon as the power-rocker is flipped.

I tried pulling the battery and jumpering the CMOS, but again this changed nothing. I also disconnected the power-on switch, to no avail.

There were no USB devices connected during that process.

I just pulled the motherboard out of the case, stripped down to RAM and processor. Again, as soon as power is connected, the A7N8X-E's light comes on and the CPU fan spins (without shorting the power pins).

I've built a number of systems over the years, including this one, and have never fried a motherboard before. Does it sound like this one is gone? Is there anything else I could try?

I wish I had a way of knowing whether a) the motherboard b) the XP 3200+ or c) both were dead. I would replace the mobo -- probably with something different; I guess whatever I can find -- if I knew the proc was okay.

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
It sounds like you tried everything already, unless you have another motherboard and/or processor to test with. I would bet it's the motherboard, and I would hope and believe that your processor is okay (I have the same processor, also used to have the same board a few years ago...until my 1st overclocking attempt fried the mobo). it may be hard to find a decent mobo for that processor nowadays, especially ones that support FSB400 for the Athlon XP 3200+.

I know it's a bit cliche to recommend upgrading, but the socket A platform is just too old. my desktop started freezing on me recently, and I have been looking at upgrading to a low-end socket AM2 system with dual-core processor. if you decide to go the upgrade route, you could get some okay parts:

ECS mobo (with basic onboard video): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135049
Athlon 64X2 4000 (free shipping): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103774
2GB of DDR2 RAM (1GB is only about 3-5 dollars cheaper, and it's free shipping): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066

these parts would be 149 after tax (for me at least) and shipping.

replacement Socket A motherboard (i don't suggest this brand, only because I don't know it):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813185074

MrNatural

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I had one other idea: somehow this +5/+5VSB jumper switch caused the mobo to think it's in a sleep mode?? I had hoped the CMOS-clearing would wake it up....
As for upgrading...well, I had wanted to keep using a very nice AGP card, and I could get another (used) A7N8x-e, or an MSI KT6 Delta, from ebay. On the other hand, I thought upgrading mobo+proc+RAM would cost more than your figure. (Well, I would have to throw in another 150 or so for an equivalent PCI-E video card.)
Thanks for your thoughts & links.

coldneutron

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Maybe u blew your psu. I had a psu fail, replaced it with a new one and had the same symptoms of all fans turning on when the ac power was switched on to the psu. exchanged the new psu for a different one and everything worked great. if u have a different psu on hand, i woul try it.

MrNatural

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Oh, one other thing: this has an OEM Windows XP license. I'm thinking I change out the mobo without too much grief from MS, but if I go replacing mobo+proc+RAM...they may balk.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I built alot of systems with that MB....and just like PSU's found that they all went bad near or just after the 3 year warrenty ran out for the same reasons...capasitors dieing.
Granted that those did did go bad were running basicly 24/7.

Asus repair center here in California takes about 2 weeks to repair the boards.

I even have two refurbished ones in boxs left over from when I moved up to the newer 939 systems (also changed to DFI and never had a problem).

You may also want to check your PSU as even with a VOM they will show currect voltages but under a load things change.

The old XP system is still good for alot of games and software with the mane issue being whatever GFX card you might have...but it could still be a fine home file server,home movie rig and/or torrent machine.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

MrNatural

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
<Maybe u blew your psu....>

Interesting. Originally this computer had an Antec 380 PSU, but a couple of years ago, after some flakey video behavior, I replaced that with an Antec 500, which cured that problem. I kept the old 380, and have tried it today with no difference. Both would have to be bad...but you had that. I'll scrounge around for another one.

MrNatural

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks everyone. You've given me confidence to take a shot at putting the proc & RAM in a new mobo, probably a MSI KT6 Delta, which is reasonably similar to the A7N8X-e in features, though VIA instead of nforce.