New computer just set up, what programs should i use to

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Everyone talks about watching the heat on the CPU and checking true speeds.

What do I use to

1. Check CPU temp

2. Check true CPU speed

I have to get rivatuna for my 8800gt.

Should I read my mobo and set BIOS settings manually? Or is auto ok since the computer is running

Thanks

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
the cpu temp usually isnt accurat in the bios... u can check the bios for the speed... nothing has to be changed if it hasnt been changed before

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Most people use any of the following:

Prime 95 - Stress test, use to verify stability of the system, stress for 24 hours recommended.

CoreTemp - useful program, shows temps on all cores. Useful to help calibrate SpeedFan.

SpeedFan - VERY useful tool if you configure it correctly. Shows all system temperatures, voltages, fan speeds w/software fan control, and a plethora of other system information.

Orthos - never used it personally, but it's just a different stress test, some swear by it over Prime95, up to you.

CPU-z - CPUID program, shows all information regarding your CPU configuration. Clock speed, voltages, multipliers, and other various useful info.

Everest Ultimate - Only one in the list that will cost you money, but nice to have. Of course, you can get it by other means, but support your software developers!! This is a benchmarking/system information/stress test/monitoring suite. It's a one stop shop.

That's a list to look thru. SpeedFan is a PITA to get accurate, but if you can, it's probably one of the more robust tools in the list. Read up on CompuTronix Temperature guide.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

It's very straightforward and will get your monitoring suite dialed in for accuracy if you plan to overclock.

I personally use CPU-z, Prime 95, and Everest Ultimate. Vista doesn't like Core Temp unless you disable driver signing and SpeedFan doesn't like the x38 chipset yet I think. I'll try it again on the next release.