Quick Lapping questions

halcyon

Splendid
I'm finally going to get off my lazy heiny and lap my TRUE (and perhaps the CPU as well).

Trouble is, @ Home Depot I was only able to buy 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit paper. Should I wait until I can find the 800 and 1200 grit paper or is the 600 grit paper high enough? I don't care about how it looks as far as the mirror finish I just want to get the best performance I can out of the TRUE.

Should I lap the CPU as well or just the TRUE?

Thanks all.

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I had the same problem finding the high grit wet sanding paper in Toronto. Instead I used a polishing compound after the 600 grit to get a mirror finish. Worked great for me and dropped CPU temps by 4-5C.

P.S. - Have you checked autoparts stores?

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
halcyon I hope your CPU is out of warranty becuase if you lap it you can kiss the warranty good bye. I lapped my CPU and now it is acting up and I cannot use that three year warranty I had to have when I bought the CPU.

From the experience I learned that lapping really doesn't give much better cooling. I would save your money. If you HAVE to lap something don't lap the CPU. Just do the heatsink. A five degree temperature difference is not worth voiding a $300+ CPU's warranty.

Just my two cents.

William

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
you can get 1000 - 2000 grit sandpaper at any car auto body shop or supplier there of...
i do not recommend using any polishing compound because it will fill the micro cracks with the compound and it won't conduct as well as AS5 or what ever you use.

my 2¢

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007

You are right about the polishing compound, thats why I cleaned mine w/ a sonicator and 100% acetone

sailer

Splendid
For what its worth, I lapped the TRUE that I have with 600 grit and got a very nice finish which looked better than the factory. The temps have run up to 48c while running Prime95 on all four cores, so the 600 grit seems to have worked fairly well for me.

halcyon

Splendid
Thanks. I used up to 600 grit and with my E6850 @ 3.6Ghz I'm currently @ 50C under Prime blended load in a 24C room with my lapped TRUE. Perhaps I need to spend some more time lapping it ...or start over.