Please help - online storage?

princessalissa

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Hi, everyone

I have a really quick question that I was hoping yall could help me with.

My office uses a particular program for client management which will allow us to link to documents online.

Instead of purchasing online file hosting (I would need a few hundred GB), I was wondering if its possible to simply create a URL to a particular file on my external hard drive.

The program requires it to be a URL, unfortunately.

I would sooo appreciate any help you can give me! Im not an IT person, but Im learning!

~Alissa~

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol". It's actually very easy to set up. Just get a ftp server program, then tell it to use the hard drive as storage, and you'll be able to access the files on that hard drive from anywhere.

Feel free to ask any questions.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Atention all Hackers...
Some sucker is about to make a PC accessable from the Web.

Yee Haa!. It's party time!

Princessalissa:
If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T DO IT! Find someone local who can do it for you, and make sure they can maintain it.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

The security person inside me just curled up into the foetal position. There are so many issues involved with your suggestion that it would probably take five pages to list them, then a further ten pages to suggest secure solutions. I can't believe that the company for which you work is implementing this as described, but if so are they looking for an IT / security person?