Sign in with
Your question

Reformatting Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows Vista
August 29, 2011 3:26:34 AM

I'm trying to reformat my laptop's hard drive because it's a few years old (around 2.5, I think) and I want to have a fresh start. It originally came with Vista, but I have since upgraded it to Windows 7 through an upgrade disk I got from my university. The laptop is an HP EliteBook 2730p, which don't happen to have built in optical drives. I have an Iomega "SuperSlim DVD/CD" external USB drive.

I went into the BIOS and set it to boot from CD/DVD drive first. I connected my external CD drive and put in the original OS disk that came with the laptop. I restarted my laptop, booted from the CD, and everything seemed to be going fine. However, after I picked the language/time format/etc. settings and clicked the "Install now" button a message pops up that says: "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

So I found the CD that came with my external drive and swapped it out for the OS disk. "No device drivers found." So I put the driver CD into my desktop and copied all the files onto a flash drive and tried that. "No device drivers found." I tried going to Iomega's website to see if I could get drivers, but I couldn't find any drivers for any external CD/DVD drives, and I couldn't even find any evidence of my particular drive's existence even being recognized by the company. Seriously, they have a thing where you can enter your product's serial number and it will tell you which model you have and all I got was an error message.

My roommate suggested trying to install a virtual drive on my flash drive, but I couldn't really figure out how to get that to work. I'm still not really sure what a virtual drive even does... Anyway, any suggestions from you lovely folks?

More about : reformatting hard drive

Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2011 9:06:08 PM

Why are you booting from the original Vista disk and not the Win 7 Upgrade disk ? --- IIRC once you have installed Win 7 trying to boot from the Vista disk will not work - if trying to reformat and reinstall Win 7 then boot up using the Win7 upgrade disk (it will find the current OS install and see that you qualify to use an upgrade disk and will run setup at which time you can select to reformat and do a clean install of Win7 from the Upgrade disk (No reason to go back to the Vista installation so no need to boot from the original Vista cd )
m
l
August 30, 2011 2:01:14 AM

Oh, I figured I'd have to first boot Vista and then use the upgrade disk for Windows 7. I'll try that first and see if I still get yelled at for not having CD drive drivers.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2011 7:41:50 PM

TGLumberjack said:
Oh, I figured I'd have to first boot Vista and then use the upgrade disk for Windows 7. I'll try that first and see if I still get yelled at for not having CD drive drivers.

No once you have done the upgrade you no longer need the Vista disk -- the upgrade disk just checks the HDD to ensure that a qualifying product is already installed on the system (which you have since it already has a copy of win7 installed) then when it begins the installation it will give you a chance to select whether to keep the existing install or reformat the HDD and install a fresh copy (the upgrade and full install disks contain the same files - the upgrade just also checks for an existing windows install on the system and will abort with an error if it does not find certain folders\files but once it has done the check it can be used to do a clean install instead of an upgrade so should work just fine on its own without having to first install the old VISTA copy again.
m
l
June 23, 2012 6:42:12 AM

JDFan said:
Why are you booting from the original Vista disk and not the Win 7 Upgrade disk ? --- IIRC once you have installed Win 7 trying to boot from the Vista disk will not work - if trying to reformat and reinstall Win 7 then boot up using the Win7 upgrade disk (it will find the current OS install and see that you qualify to use an upgrade disk and will run setup at which time you can select to reformat and do a clean install of Win7 from the Upgrade disk (No reason to go back to the Vista installation so no need to boot from the original Vista cd )

I am having a reformat problem too. Had Vista, became corrupt, so bought full windows 7, and a friend put in a boot ? disk first, reformatted the HD so I could do a clean install. But now I'm getting 'no boot manager' file errors when trying to install 7. I've run setup each time to direct the boot to the windows drive - tried the built in CD/DVD and tried an external, but I get the error every time.
Somehow was able to 'see' the computer on system repair tool and it shows 3 options - my 7 on the external DVD, a drive F on the hard drive (partition) with the old bootable system, and a bootable file I just made and loaded now sitting on Boot X drive (partition). I don't know what I'm doing, help.
m
l
!