new kid

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Hi everybody;
I need your advice about this new pc I’m planning to build.
Thanks.

CASE: Antec Atlas
MOBO: ASUS P5N32-E SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
CPU Cooler: GlaciaTech IGLOO 5700MC
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 PC6400
HDD: Westren Digital WD7500AAKS 320GB
Video Card: Nvidia 8800GT
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi XteameGamer
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W
Optical Drive: Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/_ RW w/ dbl layer write capable
TV turner & Video: ATI Theater 650 PRO
15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB
Wireless Networking: ?
Monitor: Samsung 19” w. Screen

akhilles

Splendid
So it's gonna be a gaming pc?

Looks to be a solid build. Any reason for nvidia chipset mobo? The cpu cooler is a question mark. Stick with known good ones like Freezer 7 Pro.

new kid

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I wanted this PC to be a very good PC, not necessary a gaming one, for general use, lots of digital pictures and kids programs to play.
Thanks.

Never heard of GlaciaTech. Don't get a cooler at all, use the stock cooler, don't overclock.

Since you are getting a small monitor and you're not a maniac gamer, you don't need SLI. Get a GA-P35-DS3R motherboard instead. There's also a cheaper model called GA-P35-DS3L, but it only allows 4 SATA devices and I can't recommend it because you're already planning to add 3 devices and with that TV tuner I bet you'll need more hard disks in the future.

WD7500AAKS has 750GB, not 320. It's an excellent choice, especially since you're planning to record TV and that fills up the space fast.

The 8800GT is overkill for that monitor. HD 3850 is cheaper and quieter and good enough IMO. Alternatively, get something faster than the 8800GT and also quieter, but more expensive: 8800 GTS (G92) 512 MB.
It depends on how much you like to play and what games and whether you want absolute max settings or don't really care.

Optical: I have two drives myself, but it's only because each of them is brilliant at a different thing and I'm very picky. I rarely use them at the same time. Most people can do with a single drive. For example copying a DVD to another is best done with a single drive because then you don't risk buffer underruns (i.e. source slower than target and the DVD is ruined). I'd pick a Samsung SH-S203B.

I'm not familiar with Antec Atlas. If you get the 8800GT I'd recommend you take a look at Antec 900 - it's got great cooling and the 8800GT needs it badly. If you get the HD3870 or the 8800GTS 512 MB then also take a look at Antec P182 - it's a very quiet and nice case.

Enermax makes some of the best PSUs out there. However, there are two schools of thought in PSUs. Some like Enermax give priority to cooling and others like Seasonic to silence. That is, an Enermax is more likely than a Seasonic to start spinning the fan and making noise when the heat levels are still OK and that wouldn't be absolutely necessary. If your priority is silence and you don't intend to overclock then you're probably better off with a Seasonic-designed product. Examples: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W, Corsair 520HX or 620HX, and of course products actually labeled Seasonic.