Dual core freezing problems...

ndl555

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I just bought a new processor (Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz - e6750) and a new Gigabyte motherboard bacause my old one did not support dual cores. After only a couple of minutes of being powered on, the computer completely freezes, and I have to turn off the computer. However, when I put my old Pentium 4 3.2ghz in, everything runs just fine.

I thought that the processor might be overheating, but it was only running at 31 degrees celsius when my computer froze... Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz e6750
2 A-data 1 gb 533mhz sticks of ram (Only thing I haven't upgraded recently... Could it be this?)
Gigabyte S-series motherboard (GA-P35-DS3L)
GeForce 8800 gts 320mb
Antec Truepower Trio 550 watt power supply

Thanks in advance.

ndl555

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
It seems to just freeze randomly, but always within 10 minutes of my computer being turned on.

I am using a freshly formatted HD with a fresh Windows XP Home install.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
After 10 min, means you're already in the OS. Check if screensaver is active, sometimes screensaver can make troubles.
Check other loaded background services/programs such antivirus, scheduled defragmenter etc, try to disable them.
Check the driver for all component, update them if newer are exists.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Enter "Safe Mode" and see if it freezes there as well, if it doesn't then it must be driver related. Also what is your Dram voltage and timings? It almost seems like a screen saver kicking in after ten minutes.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
i agree, sounds like the memory is trying to keep up but can't and freezes the computer. you could try bumping up memory voltage or underclocking the cpu a bit to see if the problem is resolved. if it is, you know your culprit. if not, it's something far less interesting.

dagoth_ur

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Agreed.
The lowest memory speed for FSB 1333 MHz processor, is 333 MHz, which gives DDR667 as DDR. You won't be able to sem lower frequency, so the only is to get rid of these 533 mhz modules and replace them with (at least) 667 mhz ones. Or, maybe, try to set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (I guess that the SPD of your RAM includes only settings for 533 MHz speed, which should be 4-4-4-12, and it doesnt set any higher)...and try to increase the voltage (I dont remember now but I think it's in the Memory Intelligent Tweaker submenu in BIOS. Try VDIMM +0,2 V or so..

ndl555

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll definitely try those things out. I know it's not something related to windows though, because it freezes no matter what I'm doing... Not just in windows. I spent hours trying to install windows with the dual core in before I figured out it was causing it to freeze. I'll definitely try out the other stuff and get back to you guys. Thanks again for the help!

Edit: Taking my memory speed up to 333 MHz and increasing the voltage by .2 v like Dagoth_UR suggested seems to have fixed the problem! Thank you all yet again, you've saved me so much time and frustration. It's sounding like it would be a good idea to upgrade my ram asap though, do you guys think something like this would do the job? Unfortunately I'm on a very tight budget.

ndl555

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
OK, I'm running Prime95 right now... How long should I let it run for?

Edit: Nevermind, it got to Test 3 and said: "FATAL ERROR: rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4.

The test ran for 4 minutes. Is this bad?

ndl555

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
OK, I raised the voltage by another .1 v, and it says it's at 2.1 v, so I'm guessing the standard is 1.8 v. I'm not really sure how to change the timings, I'm kinda new to this stuff. Think you could tell me how to do that, or is it just something I'll have to find in my BIOS?

Edit: Running Prime95 again without changing the timings, and it's up to test 5 now. I'll post the results tomorrow.

Boot the system in Windows and launch an instance of Prime95. From the menu select "Options" then "Torture Test…" and highlight the option to run the blend test (default). Now click "OK" to start the test. The blend test mode runs larger FFT values, meaning the processor must rely heavily on the memory subsystem when saving and retrieving intermediate calculation results. Although a true test of system stability would require many hours of consecutive testing, in the interest of time let the program execute for a minimum of 30 minutes.

If you encounter no errors (and the system is indeed still running), you can consider the memory subsystem "stable" at this point. If this is not the case, exit Windows, enter the BIOS, and try slightly increasing the MCH voltage. Repeat this process until you find you can complete (at least) a 30 minute run with no errors. If for some reason you find that increasing the MCH, voltage continues to have no effect on stability, or you have reached your allowable MCH voltage limit, you may be attempting to run the MCH higher than what is achievable under stable conditions. Setting Command Rate 2N - if available in the BIOS - loosening tRD, or removing two DIMMs (if you are running four) may help. If you find modifications to those items allows for completion of an initial Prime95 test, be sure to continue the testing by reducing the MCH voltage until you find the minimum stable value before moving on.

ndl555

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Well it has been running a blend test for about 5 hours now with no errors. So that's looking pretty stable to me. Is there anything else I need to do? Should I even bother changing the timings?

dud

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Hi, I tried testing my memory DDR2 patriot 2x1GB dual 4-4-4-12 2,2v (and that is the way i set them)
pc2-6400 (p5n-e sli mobo, c2d 2,33 mhz. evga 8800gts 512)

using Everest but it worked without problems for 50 min then I got bored ... . Windows memory diagnostic (using 12h) show me( lrand stride6 wstride-6 erand ) errors . prime95 looks to work fine with stress cpu

but it fail after 20 sec with psu an a bit mem test , and with the big mem test.

it also failed to check if it can run it`s own test. (code)

what more can i do to eliminate psu motherboard and make shure that is only memory issue?

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
is it losing input or freezing up? it can be hard to tell the difference ...

Check your BIOS -> Integrated Peripherals >

enable USB mouse support
enable USB keyboard

also try power management wakeup functions if that doesn't work -

power on by mouse / keyboard

clammypipes

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I have read a bit on this and could be your video card settings are not right. There is a compatibility mode in the nvidia panel and would try their first to guess. I'm assuming you are not overclocking anything, another driver update for nvidia.

YOUR POWER SUPPLY IS DRAINED, AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.