Very 1st New build....what should i add next?

lreyes66

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Well i ordered my parts for my very 1st build a couple of days ago..and now i must wait for them to come in (jeez i hate ups but it was free) It first started out as a budget pc but evolved to more...anyways heres what i got

■Processor: AMD Athlon 4000 x2 2.1ghz (Ive done research and its very easy to overclock it with its low temps... average ive seen is 2.7-2.8, ive seen as high as 3.2 ghz reported with stock heatsink/fan, but ill just got to 2.65 ghz when i get it and let it burn in for a bit)
■MotherBoard: ASUS M2A-MVP AM2 AMD 480X CrossFire ATX AMD
■Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Cross Fire Ready
■Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
CD/DVD Drive: SAMSUNG
■Case: XION Solaris (i bought a 92mm and a 120mm fan to addon to the case)
■PSU: CoolerMaster Extreme Power 600w
■Operating System: Windows Xp Home OEM edition (i wanted to get Vista 64bit home premium but my wireless pci adapter doesnt support it :( which is a linksys WMP54GX)
■All about, im guessing $650 ..not including rebates.

Well even though i havent even assembled my pc yet i have already started thinking about upgrading my pc. Things i considered doing is... buy another of the same video card for crossfire sometime this month maybe. I get my paycheck on friday, but might have to maybe wait to buy components cuz of christmas. But i was wondering if i should upgrade something else before i do cross fire. Like is it ok to get 2 or maybe even 4 more gigs of ram to add to my pc. I know 32bit edition os's only take about 3.5g but my friend has hookups and can get my vista ultimate(retail) for only $60. Or should i get a faster processor, like i had mentioned above, it can be overclocked very good and doesnt take much power. Ive been told and i've seen people stateing that the most important stuff for gaming is the video card and memory. I dont watch vid's on my tv much or encode vids either. I am a casual gamer, not hardcore (have school,a g/f, and a job) but on my free time i do play world of warcraft, and sources games like team fortress 2 but i wanna get ready for the future games.

CoolerMaster PSUs are on Tier-5 ("do not buy") of the list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon. I single 3850 shouldn't strain it too much, but before going SLI you might want to replace it with a model from Tier-3 or better. A Corsair 550VX, or even better, a 620HX, would be a good choice.