Sign in with
Your question

Computer randomly reboots

Last response: in Components
December 20, 2007 12:10:41 PM

I finally got my rig put together and windows XP installed.

Last night, while on the net downloading flash player, it rebooted. I thought "well that sucks" and just started again. I got flash player installed, then was randomly surfing the net and it rebooted again.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66
8800GT OC

Shortly before the reboot, I was looking at my core temp's for the first time, and they were 12-15. (cold in the house)

Any clues what this could be?
December 20, 2007 12:38:43 PM

alzarius said:
I finally got my rig put together and windows XP installed.

Last night, while on the net downloading flash player, it rebooted. I thought "well that sucks" and just started again. I got flash player installed, then was randomly surfing the net and it rebooted again.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66
8800GT OC

Shortly before the reboot, I was looking at my core temp's for the first time, and they were 12-15. (cold in the house)

Any clues what this could be?

Try using everest and watch the voltages. Maybe the PSU has a few bad rails.
December 20, 2007 12:47:41 PM

Try running MemTest86

You might be running default memory voltage (1.8) instead of what is specified for your memory modules. Might wanna set the timings manually as well.

If memtest86 fails with the right timings/voltage, then try one stick at a time if you have 2 1gb sticks. That way you can figure out what memory stick could possibly be bad.
Related resources
December 20, 2007 1:01:58 PM

What is the spec on your PSU? Make/Model.
December 20, 2007 1:28:03 PM

ok........whoa there boyz.....

Before we get into memtest and switching PSU's out , lets start at the basics.

Alzarius , here's what you wanna do ;

goto control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery>settings

Under 'system failure' Uncheck the 'automatically restart'.

This will stop the reboots.you will get bluescreens instead.

The next part is easy...wait till it bluescreens , then write down exactly what it says.

The machine code it prints out on that bluescreen will tell you what's failing.

A quick google of the first hex number will ususally tell you whats wrong and how to fix it.If not ,it'll at least point you in the right direction.

December 20, 2007 1:38:40 PM

Heh.. well that is a more direct approach... Though, if its a memory problem, you still have the chance of corrupting the boot up files, and may have to redo the installation. By using Memtest, you basically avoid doing that.

If its a PSU problem, not really sure if a blue screen would really indicate a bad PSU, but more then likely a memory or driver problem.
December 20, 2007 4:52:11 PM

I had this problem with a friend the other week and tried EVERYTHING so i thought.I was pulling my hair out and then tried something really simple and did i feel silly for wasting all that time. It turned out to be a faulty reset switch on the case.Could be a number of things but try the most simple first out of all the suggestions and then work your way up.Are you getting the BSOD or any error reports?
December 20, 2007 8:02:12 PM

Grimmy said:
Heh.. well that is a more direct approach... Though, if its a memory problem, you still have the chance of corrupting the boot up files, and may have to redo the installation. By using Memtest, you basically avoid doing that.

If its a PSU problem, not really sure if a blue screen would really indicate a bad PSU, but more then likely a memory or driver problem.

Hehe.......

You are totally correct.Bad psu can make basically any bluescreen appear , and memory errors , well they are bad in every way.. :D 

It's not so much what the bluescreen indicates , it's more like what it doesnt , or how it does.

-if you get different error messages every time , it can certainly be a bad psu or a fully failed component.

-if it tells you bad memory (page faults, etc) then , first examine bios carefully.Some memory does need to be manually set for voltage.

-if it tells you driver issue , well yer lucky.(Maybe) :sarcastic: 

-------------

Good luck.Keep us posted.
!