Sign in with
Your question

Anybody know anything about Nehalem?

Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2007 2:06:41 PM

I know that Nehalem will have an integrated memory controller, will have HyperThreading again, and will use a new socket. Does anybody know anything else about it?

More about : nehalem

December 20, 2007 2:54:05 PM

45nm, 4 cores on 1 die and apparently 40% faster IPC than Conroe. Intel also roadmapped an 8 core version of it and then a move to 32nm by 2009/2010.
December 20, 2007 2:54:30 PM

- Support only DDR3
- Native quad core (maybe native octo-core?)
- High modularity (e.g. dual core + 1 GPU on die)
- QPI (Quickpath, Intel's HyperTransport)
- Improved IPC over Core uarch
Related resources
December 20, 2007 3:09:13 PM

Also a completely different socket.
So you can't pop Nehalem in a current 775. Using LGA1567, LGA1366, LGA1160.
It will also use QuickPath, which is like the current AMD Hypertransport.
December 20, 2007 3:28:57 PM

Intel are copying AMD because they lack the skills to create something decent of their own. What we have here is a K10 clone, which is ripping off AMD technology In all but name. Intel are copying AMD because they realize Double cheese burger Quads are not good enough and AMD are the technical masters with a superior Quad design.
Intel as usual are cheating, but that’s what’s come to be expected of an evil company like that.

Buy Smarter, Buy AMD! Intel are evil!
December 20, 2007 4:03:50 PM

thunderman said:
Intel are copying AMD because they lack the skills to create something decent of their own. What we have here is a K10 clone, which is ripping off AMD technology In all but name. Intel are copying AMD because they realize Double cheese burger Quads are not good enough and AMD are the technical masters with a superior Quad design.
Intel as usual are cheating, but that’s what’s come to be expected of an evil company like that.

The last thing needed on this thread is a flame war :non:  By the way thunderman these guys will kick your a$$
December 20, 2007 4:15:20 PM

2 Sockets for Desktop.

Socket 1336 for "High End."

Socket 1160 something like that for "mainstream."

High end will get Quick Path Interconnect, Mainstream will not.

Native Quad, 45nm, IMC (some models), and a new version of hyperthreading supported on all processors.
December 20, 2007 4:56:33 PM

speedemon said:
By the way thunderman these guys will kick your a$$

What lol.... you can't see that Intel is copying AMD? face facts Intel are cheating.

Down with Double Cheese burger Quad designs! Buy Phenom a true Quad Core! Intel Nehalem is a poor AMD imitator! AMD Forever!
December 20, 2007 5:00:26 PM

thunderman said:
What lol.... you can't see that Intel is copying AMD? face facts Intel are cheating.

Down with Double Cheese burger Quad designs! Buy Phenom a true Quad Core! Intel Nehalem is a poor AMD imitator! AMD Forever!

If Intel is just copying AMD they are doing a horrible job. I mean just plain bad.. Their stock hasn't even dropped to a record low yet!

By the way, does this mean AMD is copying Intel by moving to the 45nm process node and trying to use HiK?
December 20, 2007 5:05:54 PM

thunderman said:
Intel as usual are cheating, but that%u2019s what%u2019s come to be expected of an evil company like that.

Well Intel made an IMC before AMD back when they were attempting to use rambus memory (As well as EM64T in server processors well before A64 was out). So is AMD in fact a cheater as well...OH SNAP! Oh and whats that? Is the cheeseburger from Intel faster than the "son of god" that you make it sound like AMD spawned...lmao, yea it is. Oops? lol, some people here are just pathetic.

Back to the topic, everyone else has pretty much nailed it, but hopefully AMD will get on the ball and get something competitve out so that Intel doesnt start to take their sweet time with Nehalem.
December 20, 2007 5:38:52 PM

And his grammar is awful to boot. Sheesh, if you're going to flame a poster or a company, at least flame with proper English...
December 20, 2007 5:49:58 PM

thunderman said:

Please, don't get me started about AMD vs. Intel. :non:  :non:  AMD has their advantages, such as price, and Intel has their own advantages, such as performance. We just don't need an argument. :non:  Thank you.

Thanks everyone, I know now a lot more about Nehalem than I did. I guess it is suiting of Intel's claim that it is the biggest redesign since Pentium Pro.

And why are there going to be so many different sockets? Sounds like it would make an upgrade much harder.
December 20, 2007 5:59:08 PM

cnumartyr said:
2 Sockets for Desktop.

Socket 1336 for "High End."

Socket 1160 something like that for "mainstream."

High end will get Quick Path Interconnect, Mainstream will not.

Native Quad, 45nm, IMC (some models), and a new version of hyperthreading supported on all processors.

hmm, all these different sockets will be quite confusing. I thought that only servers would be getting quickpath and would use LGA 1336. I also thought I heard something about an LGA 715 because having an IMC would mean that the chip would require less connections to the northbridge. Actually I'm confused already... :pt1cable: 

December 20, 2007 6:04:42 PM

turboflame said:
Actually I'm confused already... :pt1cable: 
I'm confused too. Let's be confused together :) 
December 20, 2007 6:08:09 PM

thunderman said:

but can't you see? you are copying me by posting on this forum, in fact, get out now! go on, since you would never copy ANYONE, go and go back to living in the stone age
oh, and btw, we aren't stupid, and the consumer isn't stupid, you have made it amply clear that you have an agenda, so stfu and go away
December 20, 2007 6:08:23 PM

turboflame said:
hmm, all these different sockets will be quite confusing. I thought that only servers would be getting quickpath and would use LGA 1336. I also thought I heard something about an LGA 715 because having an IMC would mean that the chip would require less connections to the northbridge. Actually I'm confused already... :pt1cable: 

Supposedly the high end "Bloomfield" for Desktop will also use the server socket and get the QPI.

All the sockets it almost seems like they want to tie you into a performance bracket and limit your upgrade options with price. Once you are tied into the LGA1336 socket they can release nothing but Extreme Editions and force that upgrade path or only release EE's for the LGA1336 socket.

I don't know, it's a lot of speculation and nothing is in stone... so it seems.
December 20, 2007 6:15:58 PM

But why buy a copy cat, when you can buy the real thing?(Phenom)

Everyone who preaches that the Phenom is an awful processor, well the jokes on you. Intel realize that the their masters AMD have the better design, hence they are copying. AMD move processor technology forward even if they are behind financially. If AMD went bankrupt the PC performance market would collapse because Intel lack the technical skills to be the originator of anything worthy. The fact's speak for themselves, so everyone show respect to AMD!

AMD for fast performance! Cheap! Intel overcharge!
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 128 } Memory
December 20, 2007 6:18:24 PM

Amd copied some Intel designs for years. I love the juevinile nonsense about such evil companies. I say, whoever gets to the marketplace first with the best products will get my business.
December 20, 2007 6:35:50 PM

thunderman said:

Everyone who preaches that the Phenom is an awful processor, well the jokes on you. Intel realize that the their masters AMD have the better design, hence they are copying. AMD move processor technology forward even if they are behind financially. If AMD went bankrupt the PC performance market would collapse because Intel lack the technical skills to be the originator of anything worthy. The fact's speak for themselves, so everyone show respect to AMD!

Sir! Please put the Crack pipe down. Just too many Die hard AMD fanboys, they only see one side of the coin
December 20, 2007 6:52:39 PM

you guys are copying letters I used in the English alphabet. I reserve the letters A through W!
December 20, 2007 6:59:21 PM

Xyzzy

Nothing happens. :( 
December 20, 2007 7:28:46 PM

Too bad they couldnt make it a socket 1337 that would be sweet.
December 20, 2007 7:31:59 PM

thunderman said:

Troll.
December 20, 2007 8:02:03 PM

thunderman said:

I love AMD, so don't try to accuse me of intel fanboyism; but if AMD doesn't get going, Nehalem is gonna rape AMD...
December 20, 2007 8:14:25 PM

monsterrocks said:
I love AMD, so don't try to accuse me of intel fanboyism; but if AMD doesn't get going, Nehalem is gonna rape AMD...

Maybe not...

Not the most credible.. but...

Skulltrail: CANNED
X48: DELAYED
Yorkfield: DELAYED
Investments: CUT

Maybe Nehalem will be out in 2011...
December 20, 2007 8:23:47 PM

Interesting find cnumartyr...if true it certainly shows the horrors we are in for if AMD sinks under and no one bus them. But I think they will be bought or come back, I doubt that they will just die off.
December 20, 2007 11:03:23 PM

I'm not that incredbly happy about the yorky delays but someday Nehalim is going to come out and I can guarintee you that I'm going to be the first guy in line, waving hundred dollar bills! I couldn't care less if by then AMD has a solar powered CPU that outpreforms the BlueGene/L System and comes free in a box of Rice Krispies. There! Who said fanbois are blind? :) 
December 21, 2007 9:38:37 AM

cnumartyr said:
Maybe not...

Not the most credible.. but...

Skulltrail: CANNED - Nope. The latest Fab revision was recently taped out and is expected to arrive for final testing in early January or so says my friend at Intel.
X48: DELAYED - Yes, because if memory serves me the chipset was supposed to launch in November.
Yorkfield: DELAYED - Nope. At least nothing as been proven at this point. The suggested launch in January was never put out by Intel as far as I can determine by doing a google search.
Investments: CUT - Exactly what investments are you saying here???? Need more clarification.

Maybe Nehalem will be out in 2011...

December 21, 2007 10:24:14 AM

thunderman said:

Thunderman you are a complete idiot! Intel has outperformed AMD without the on die memory controller with its current line up of processers. Intel has already created something a lot more decent than... Quit crying because you don't have one of these great processers! Thunderman, you are the most ignorant person I have ever seen on any forum! Just when you thought the human race was really going somewhere, then one of these idiots comes along, SAD.
December 21, 2007 12:52:13 PM

systemlord said:
Thunderman you are a complete idiot! Intel has outperformed AMD without the on die memory controller with its current line up of processers. Intel has already created something a lot more decent than... Quit crying because you don't have one of these great processers! Thunderman, you are the most ignorant person I have ever seen on any forum! Just when you thought the human race was really going somewhere, then one of these idiots comes along, SAD.
He's a troll looking for a flame war, nothing more. Please don't feed the trolls.
December 21, 2007 2:30:24 PM

can't wait to see how these perform! :) 
December 21, 2007 3:06:41 PM

I am curious if the XEON version will share the 1336 socket. That would be great as there there would finally be more selection for aftermarket coolers for people that run those instead.
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
December 21, 2007 3:45:25 PM

Having different CPU sockets for mainstream and high end is a bad idea. It forces you to define "High end" and "mainstream" even before you buy the 1st CPU, meaning you can't go from "mainstream" to "high end" with out a new motherboard. Hopefully some manufacture out there will build a dual socket motherboard. (Socket 1336 + 1160 on 1 motherboard) I would defenently buy a dual socket motherboard even if it is $100 over a "main stream" motherboard that preform equally.
December 21, 2007 3:49:09 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Having different CPU sockets for mainstream and high end is a bad idea. It forces you to define "High end" and "mainstream" even before you buy the 1st CPU, meaning you can't go from "mainstream" to "high end" with out a new motherboard. Hopefully some manufacture out there will build a dual socket motherboard. (Socket 1336 + 1160 on 1 motherboard) I would defenently buy a dual socket motherboard even if it is $100 over a "main stream" motherboard that preform equally.

The other thing is the X38 is the "high end" motherboard and the P35 is the mainstream.. Does that mean to get Crossfire we have to tie ourselves into the "high end" socket? What other features will be on the "high end" socket that we can't get because we tied ourselves into the wrong socket due to CPU costs?
December 21, 2007 4:56:36 PM

I love feeding trolls! and then capturing them in a giant tank so they cant escape.

Thunderman, look over there! its a burrito, go get it!

He also start other trolling threads (like the intel vs AMD guide), and then they got deleted, and then he started another thread in the "other" section complaining about how his thread got deleted.

He also makes outrageous claims like
thunderman said:
This AMD K10 bug problem is nothing to worry about to be honest, because the performance decrease is actually rather small. Even with the bug, clock for clock Phenom is better than Intel.

At least AMD treated their customers with respect and fixed the problem really quickly and efficiently. Intel on the other hand have failed to fix the big problems that Core2 processors have like stability and heat. C2D is well known to freeze Microsoft Vista, so many Vista users do regret not buying AMD.

Quad2Duo's double cheeseburger Pentium 3 knock off design is not cutting the demands of professionals.

So yes, he is a troll. And I will continue to feed him, in the hopes that I can eventually capture and exploit his monsterous (and ugly) troll self.
December 21, 2007 5:40:26 PM

cnumartyr said:
The other thing is the X38 is the "high end" motherboard and the P35 is the mainstream.. Does that mean to get Crossfire we have to tie ourselves into the "high end" socket? What other features will be on the "high end" socket that we can't get because we tied ourselves into the wrong socket due to CPU costs?
Isn't Crossfire (and SLI) "high end" too? Doesn't P35 already support Crossfire? I don't get it
December 21, 2007 5:49:55 PM

enewmen said:
Also a completely different socket.
So you can't pop Nehalem in a current 775. Using LGA1567, LGA1366, LGA1160.
It will also use QuickPath, which is like the current AMD Hypertransport.

That's right, but we had to expect this with the move to on-die memory controler.

I personally think that for now Intel has got there thing straight, and should deliver a very well performing NEHALEM. It's more on the VPU front that I'm worried. I'd be more then surprise if their first generation product perform close to what NVidia and ATI/AMD can deliver then.

Quote:
FROM THUNDERMAN:

What the hell is this? Right now, altough I don't like it, Intel C2D/Q is superior to AMD Phenom. It's just as efficient (more even in some test), consume less, and work at much higher frequency. What's to like about Phenom knowing this????? I don't like the fact, because I think it might get Intel complacent and we might see a not so phenomenal NEHALEM successor. Or worst, AMD going bankrupt. But even knowing this, Intel easily has the upper hand right now. Well, actually they're head and torso above AMD also, so... stop listening to stupid troll (a troll is stupid, so imagine a stupid one, see what I mean?)

Get your fact straight ans stop misinforming poeple asxhxle!!!! :fou: 
December 21, 2007 6:24:23 PM

can there be another socket 7?
December 21, 2007 7:02:30 PM

3Ball said:
Well Intel made an IMC before AMD back when they were attempting to use rambus memory

Uh, the Intel 4004 had an IMC back in 1971. _Removing_ the IMC was a major step during the development of the microprocessor, because they pretty much all had them until the 90s.
December 21, 2007 7:27:20 PM

drysocks said:
Isn't Crossfire (and SLI) "high end" too? Doesn't P35 already support Crossfire? I don't get it

You have 16/4 instead of 16/16?

You aren't going to get very good performance out of CF on a P35 motherboard (until it's P45 successor).

I was using it as an example though to illustrate the differences in highend/mainstream otherboards. I don't consider Crossfire that high end considering an HD3870's MSRP.
December 21, 2007 7:41:12 PM

thematrixhazuneo said:
Too bad they couldnt make it a socket 1337 that would be sweet.

no my friend, they would'nt be sweet, that would be leet :p 

cnumartyr said:
You have 16/4 instead of 16/16?

You aren't going to get very good performance out of CF on a P35 motherboard (until it's P45 successor).

I was using it as an example though to illustrate the differences in highend/mainstream otherboards. I don't consider Crossfire that high end considering an HD3870's MSRP.

yeah, these days i wouldn't consider crossfire, or sli highend, unless it is wiht two cards that cost over $450 ea. (well, i wouldn't consider 8800gts320 sli highend, however i would consider gtx sli highend)

also, they "could" create a universal 1336 pin LGA and have different pads on the two types of processor, highend one gets the extra pads, allowing the use of quick... whatever... lowend one doesn't have the pads so it doesn't get it? 1 socket, but 2 different LGAs

I still wanna see LGA 337 though :( 
December 21, 2007 7:45:00 PM

rammedstein said:
no my friend, they would'nt be sweet, that would be leet :p 

yeah, these days i wouldn't consider crossfire, or sli highend, unless it is wiht two cards that cost over $450 ea. (well, i wouldn't consider 8800gts320 sli highend, however i would consider gtx sli highend)

also, they "could" create a universal 1336 pin LGA and have different pads on the two types of processor, highend one gets the extra pads, allowing the use of quick... whatever... lowend one doesn't have the pads so it doesn't get it? 1 socket, but 2 different LGAs

I still wanna see LGA 337 though :( 

It's primarily because the highend will use a QPI and the mainstream will not...

On a side note..

P45 = PCIEe 2.0 8x8

Since we haven't even maxed out PCIe1.1 P45 is going to be a great board.
December 21, 2007 9:01:23 PM

dam, three sockets.... are only "extreme edition" processors considered high end or can q6700/q6600 be considered high end as well?
December 21, 2007 9:08:07 PM

thunderman said:
Intel are copying AMD because they lack the skills to create something decent of their own.

I stopped reading your post after the first sentence because of this. First things first, Intel might be using the technology of hypertransport and an IMC into Nehalem, but that does not mean Intel as a whole is a clone. If they lacked skills than explain the Core 2 micro architecture? That's not a clone or a copy. And it beats AMD's best. Saying such foolish things like "Intel copies AMD" or "Intel has no skills" is complete rubbish.

Be gone fanboy... :pfff: 
December 21, 2007 9:28:42 PM

I don't see the problem with multiple sockets "locking" you into certain segments any more than they do now. Already, we have Xeon MP (771) and Conroe (775) sockets for different types of memory and to distinguish uniprocessor from multiprocessor configurations. What's absent is a multiprocessor desktop configuration (2P, DDR2/3 RAM), and that seems enabled by one of the Nehalem sockets, giving rise to 3 different packages.

Would it be right of them to limit Crossfire or some high-end feature to 2P, 8-core systems? I think that's silly from a business sense, but for some more exclusive feature where a 1P system may be less appropriate, it may well be possible.

I have high expectations for Nehalem in general because the track record for Pentium/II/III and Conroe/Penryn is one of very competitive core execution potential somewhat hampered by memory bandwidth. This is in contrast to my expectations of K10, where AMD has historically had problems with raw execution yet nowadays has no issue feeding its cores copious amounts of data. Feeding the cores even more won't help if we don't overhaul the cores.
December 21, 2007 10:00:11 PM

to the great thunderboob
In the future please drink enough booze or smoke enough crack to pass out and not log into forums. Your lack of knoledge is alarming.
And btw double cheesburgers taste great
December 21, 2007 10:28:19 PM

Where the hell are the mods? I've seen way too many potentially good threads get ruined by trolls/fools like Thunderman.

What's the deal?
December 21, 2007 10:51:36 PM

thunderman said:

first of all hell no second of all you are just like a mac user stating that microsoft copied apple's OS and i feel sorry for you because you an ignorant
!