Help Can't log in as administrator

villageone

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I was trying to set up a small office at home connecting my husband’s pc with mine. I ran create an account and it asked me to reboot. Thinking this was ok I did. When it logged me back in it is asking for user name and password. I had a password set up so that the kids can’t log on my computer but I never had a user name. It will let me in with my husbands name as a guest. But I can’t even change the time. My virus protection wont even clean out the spy ware on my computer because it keeps saying only administrator can do this, It keep saying I need to sign in as administrator, I tried using ever name I can think of with no luck. I even tried to reinstall windows XP but it tells me the version on the pc is newer then the CD I have went to sites that help retrieve passwords and did everything it asked, but it came back as cant retrieve administrator password. Can anyone help me? I would like to have my administrator account back, but if I can get any help as to how to reinstall windows XP and wipe out everything that would be fine as well. At lease then I can change the time and run the virus program. Also note in control panel it only shows the guest user.

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
This will work...

On this link download the "CD Image" of the software.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
(The link for the CD Image of the software will be "cd070927.zip".)

You will want to do this on a PC that you can create a CD from. (Maybe with your Husband's Account you can still create a CD, or use a friend's computer.)

Once the CD is created boot your Husband's Computer using the CD. (There are instructions on the WEB site that tell you where to go.)

Basically, I ALWAYS choose to change the Administrator Password to "blank".

This program is a bit strange to use, but It ALWAYS works, and doesn't cause any issues that I have run across. READ the instructions carefully from the WEB site. Just do want you need to do, and you shouldn't have any issues.

(REMEMBER, once you change the "Administrator Password" to "blank" you need to write the change back to the computer.)