ApoX97

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Hello, I just have a configuration question about SCSI, I know a fair amount about computer building and what have you, but I don't have any experience with SCSI. all I know is its fast, and fast, is good. I am able to get my hands on 2 "Maxtor Atlas 18GB 68 pin U320 15K RPM SCSI Hard Drive" for $40 and I'd LOVE to raid 0 them for just my XP OS install. Now the question is, What am I going to need? my Motherboards has Pci-e 1x and normal PCI. Thanks a lot.

Rob

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I hate to rain on your parade here but those drives are not going to be as fast as you might think. Check to see what the transfer rate is on them. I have a few older 15k drives here and the only manage around 80mb transfer at best. Not too good compared to a regular SATA drive today. Then there is the consideration of having to buy a SCSI RAID controller. If you get a low end one it will only make matters worse. If you get an expensive one.... well you can see where this is going. Not a very good way to do this. There is also the idea of running RAID 0 for an OS volume. There are plenty of examples on this forum of why this is a bad idea. Those drives are already slow by todays standards, they are small, and the one thing they had going for them, access speed, you would lose in a RAID 0.

You would be much better off saving the $$$ of the drives and a controller and just getting a single fast SATA drive for your OS.