Need To Change Drive Letters

Windows Disk Management tools only allows the user to change the drive
letters of non-system, non active & non bootable drives/partitions on a hard
drive

QUESTION: Is there some third party DOS utility/tweak that will allow the
user to change the drive letter of a Windows System, Active or Boot
drive/partition ????

Thanks in advance for your replys
16 answers Last reply
More about need change drive letters

    Scroll down to Troubleshooting here...
    How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307844

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:67A1562F-71F3-49E7-BE67-D75368B0849E@microsoft.com,
    Howard <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Windows Disk Management tools only allows the user to change the drive
    > letters of non-system, non active & non bootable drives/partitions on a
    > hard drive
    >
    > QUESTION: Is there some third party DOS utility/tweak that will allow the
    > user to change the drive letter of a Windows System, Active or Boot
    > drive/partition ????
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your replys

    To Wesley:

    Nothing helpful here as far I can see

    Even the command line Diskpart utility is not capable of changing the drive
    letter of a system, boot or page file drive/partition

    Look at the following link for a discussion of Diskpart

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/

    Thanks for your suggestion

    You do realize that changing the drive letter of the boot drive/partition
    will render your system unbootable, don't you?

    You cannot change the boot drive with any utility.

    Bobby

    "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > To Wesley:
    >
    > Nothing helpful here as far I can see
    >
    > Even the command line Diskpart utility is not capable of changing the
    > drive
    > letter of a system, boot or page file drive/partition
    >
    > Look at the following link for a discussion of Diskpart
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion

    Is there someplace in the Registry that you might be able to change drive
    letters so that when the computer reboots it will take on a new assigned
    drive letter ???

    Just guessing ???

    I have three primary partitions and one extended partition - all three
    primary partitions are Windows XP C drive images - all bootable using a
    multiboot boot.ini file

    Depending on the C drive image and how the C drive image is installed on
    each partition - effects whether or not the booted partition takes the
    customary drive letter C or some other drive letter when the selected
    partition is booted

    After several months of working on this - there is only one specific problem
    that I have not been able to solve - when I try to restore a C drive image to
    a non C drive partition using ghost 9.0 from an image stored on a CD/DVD
    disk(s), the restored drive fails to take on the drive letter of C when it is
    booted - no problem noted when the restored drive is the actual C drive

    No problems noted at all when the restored images are taken from hard drives
    - the other two non C drives will take on the drive letter of C when they are
    booted

    The advantage of having each bootable partition booted with the Drive letter
    C is that you only have to have one set of images instead of seperate sets of
    images for each bootable drive letter!!

    This doesn't apply to system or boot volumes, disk management will not
    change these :-)

    > Scroll down to Troubleshooting here...
    > How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307844
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:67A1562F-71F3-49E7-BE67-D75368B0849E@microsoft.com,
    > Howard <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Windows Disk Management tools only allows the user to change the drive
    >> letters of non-system, non active & non bootable drives/partitions on a
    >> hard drive
    >>
    >> QUESTION: Is there some third party DOS utility/tweak that will allow
    >> the
    >> user to change the drive letter of a Windows System, Active or Boot
    >> drive/partition ????
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your replys

    Yeah, I missed that. I was thinking active/non active. ;-(

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23CB1QdajFHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    John E. Carty <jecarty@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > This doesn't apply to system or boot volumes, disk management will not
    > change these :-)

    >> Scroll down to Troubleshooting here...
    >> How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307844
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:67A1562F-71F3-49E7-BE67-D75368B0849E@microsoft.com,
    >> Howard <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Windows Disk Management tools only allows the user to change the drive
    >>> letters of non-system, non active & non bootable drives/partitions on a
    >>> hard drive
    >>>
    >>> QUESTION: Is there some third party DOS utility/tweak that will allow
    >>> the
    >>> user to change the drive letter of a Windows System, Active or Boot
    >>> drive/partition ????
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your replys

    There is. Read:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188#top
    I advise you not to use the info to change any drive letters, but I am
    providing the link simply to answer your question.

    > Is there someplace in the Registry that you might be able to change drive
    > letters so that when the computer reboots it will take on a new assigned
    > drive letter ???
    >
    > Just guessing ???

    Hi,

    Simply put, you cannot change the drive letter assigned to the system
    partition. The article Colin posts is only for someone who needs to restore
    the original drive letter assignment due to some attempt to change the
    original through disk management, it is not meant for someone trying to
    change it permanently from the original. There is no way that you can
    possibly change the tens of thousands of pointers in the registry and system
    files. You are stuck with the assigned drive letter, the only way around is
    to start with a clean system.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows Disk Management tools only allows the user to change the drive
    > letters of non-system, non active & non bootable drives/partitions on a
    > hard
    > drive
    >
    > QUESTION: Is there some third party DOS utility/tweak that will allow the
    > user to change the drive letter of a Windows System, Active or Boot
    > drive/partition ????
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your replys

    This is the solution that I have been looking for - solves the problem very
    easily - I really don't understand why Microsoft doesn't include more fixes
    like this when they program Windows to start off with. I know they are
    concerned with users who are not very experienced - why can't they simply
    include a couple of more warning screens rather than make the user search and
    read for hours and days until the user hopefully finds the right fix !!

    Microsoft needs to update their article on this fix - certain statements are
    incorrect and/or not applicable - the article link follows

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188#top

    Again, many thanks for your helpful reply !!

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > There is. Read:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188#top
    > I advise you not to use the info to change any drive letters, but I am
    > providing the link simply to answer your question.
    >
    > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there someplace in the Registry that you might be able to change drive
    > > letters so that when the computer reboots it will take on a new assigned
    > > drive letter ???
    > >
    > > Just guessing ???

    And what about the boot.ini file for each partition?

    It is different for each primary partition (1,2 or 3).

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff

    "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3797FD3-FCCC-4DA9-B3FB-F97D1E032ECA@microsoft.com...
    |I have three primary partitions and one extended partition - all three
    | primary partitions are Windows XP C drive images - all bootable using a
    | multiboot boot.ini file
    |
    | Depending on the C drive image and how the C drive image is installed on
    | each partition - effects whether or not the booted partition takes the
    | customary drive letter C or some other drive letter when the selected
    | partition is booted
    |
    | After several months of working on this - there is only one specific problem
    | that I have not been able to solve - when I try to restore a C drive image to
    | a non C drive partition using ghost 9.0 from an image stored on a CD/DVD
    | disk(s), the restored drive fails to take on the drive letter of C when it is
    | booted - no problem noted when the restored drive is the actual C drive
    |
    | No problems noted at all when the restored images are taken from hard drives
    | - the other two non C drives will take on the drive letter of C when they are
    | booted
    |
    | The advantage of having each bootable partition booted with the Drive letter
    | C is that you only have to have one set of images instead of seperate sets of
    | images for each bootable drive letter!!

    to mrtee

    (1) The boot.ini file can be the same on all three primary partitions or
    they can be different
    (2) Windows system files are also included on all three primary partitions
    (3) The exact boot.ini file which is used during bootup is determined by
    which partition you make active
    (4) The extended partition with one or more logical partitions are used
    for data purposes

    You can easily switch boot menus by having different boot menus for each
    partition and then selecting your desired boot menu by switching which
    partition is the active partition - simply a lot of different options
    available - for example - you can semi hide a bootable partition (make it
    more difficult for someone else to boot) by simply not including it on one of
    the boot menus - they may not know how to change one active partition to
    another - hopefully, they won't know how to change a boot.ini file either -
    the only clue they will have is if they happen to browse the partition and
    see a WINDOWS folder in it and figure out that said partition is probably a
    bootable partition !!

    "» mrtee «" wrote:

    > And what about the boot.ini file for each partition?
    >
    > It is different for each primary partition (1,2 or 3).
    >
    > --
    > Just my 2¢ worth,
    > Jeff

    I know. The article is very clear, provided he reads it. He wasn't
    listening to us up to now, and his response didn't sound any more promising.
    I suspect he will just have to find out the hard way. I hope not, but....

    > Hi,
    >
    > Simply put, you cannot change the drive letter assigned to the system
    > partition. The article Colin posts is only for someone who needs to
    > restore the original drive letter assignment due to some attempt to change
    > the original through disk management, it is not meant for someone trying
    > to change it permanently from the original. There is no way that you can
    > possibly change the tens of thousands of pointers in the registry and
    > system files. You are stuck with the assigned drive letter, the only way
    > around is to start with a clean system.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows Disk Management tools only allows the user to change the drive
    >> letters of non-system, non active & non bootable drives/partitions on a
    >> hard
    >> drive
    >>
    >> QUESTION: Is there some third party DOS utility/tweak that will allow
    >> the
    >> user to change the drive letter of a Windows System, Active or Boot
    >> drive/partition ????
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your replys

    I suspect your assessment is correct - blind to all but what he wants to
    see. I knew you only posted the article as it answered the question, Colin,
    but wanted to add the warning.

    Hope to meet you in Sept.

    --

    "" wrote:
    > There is. Read:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188#top
    > I advise you not to use the info to change any drive letters,
    > but I am
    > providing the link simply to answer your question.
    >
    > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there someplace in the Registry that you might be able to
    > change drive
    > > letters so that when the computer reboots it will take on a
    > new assigned
    > > drive letter ???
    > >
    > > Just guessing ???

    Here is my toil with windows and systemroot drive letters
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=384105&highlight=

    You should take time to at least skim it, it contains valuable
    information on what you are atempting, but basicly you should NOT
    change your systemroot drive letter, for (basicly) this is foolish,
    and it will not stop windows from booting, how ever it will stop you
    from loging on and all services from running, and you will have to use
    the method i used to fix it if you do so choose to change your system
    root drive letter, however, if you are using SP2, i canot say if my
    method of fixing the problem will work or not, but iv said what i
    wanted to say.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-Change-Drive-Letters-ftopict398623.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1316262

    To Rick & Collen

    Gentleman, Gentleman, what we have here is a serious failure to communicate,
    Paul Newman would probably say !

    I am an eye doctor by profession (practicing for the past 29 yrs) and it
    never ceases to amaze me how a party from the second part can compleletly
    misstate what the party of the first part has said. Judging from your
    hospital !!

    Anyway, for the benefit of anyone who might find this post relevant either
    now or at some future date, I will take a few minutes and clarify the issues
    which were discussed in this post

    (1) The original question presented to the forum was basically "Need to
    Change A Drive Letter of a System and/or Boot partition"

    (2) The reason for this request was because a normally functioning
    Windows XP Drive was booting up with a drive letter different than the drive
    letter in which it was installed

    (3) Again, to reiterate, this request was a request to fix something
    that was already broken - it was not a request to change the drive letter of
    a normally functioning Windows drive to some other drive letter than what it
    was originally install with - I hope we are crystal clear on this point !

    (4) Microsoft has acknowledged this problem and has published a fix -
    click on the following link for a more detailed discussion of this problem

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188#top

    Many thanks to Collen for providing the info on this link - I
    thought I did a good search on this topic but its quite apparent that I
    missed this one - don't know how, but I did !!

    (5) There are probably several events which might cause this problem to
    occur - the exact cause is not important unless its recurrent - whats
    important is that you realize what your problem is

    (6) Therefore, if you ever happen to boot up your computer some day and
    observe a bunch of unexpected error messages and further observe that your
    Windows drive letter has changed - click on that link and immediately solve
    your problem - hopefully, your problem is not of a recurrent nature

    (7) If some reason you want to change the drive letter of a normally
    functioning Windows partition to some other drive letter than the originally
    installed drive - make sure you make a backup copy of WINDOWS\System32 folder
    because you will defintely need it after you change the drive letter - YOU
    SIMPLYCANNOT CHANGE THE DRIVE LETTER OF A NORMALLY FUNCTIONING WINDOWS DRIVE
    TO SOME DRIVE LETTER OTHER THAN THE DRIVE LETTER FROM WHICH IT WAS ORIGINALLY
    INSTALLED - IT SIMPLY WILL NOT WORK !!!

    (8) On a final note, I would appreciated a fix to another unsolved
    problem which I posted on 7/15/05 under Windows General Discussions forum -
    the title is "Copying Bootable CD Disk To DVD Disk - Warning - the fix I am
    looking for is a 100 % clone from the very first byte to the very last byte -
    nothing else will solve this problem - my opinion of course

    Thanks again for your replys !!

Disk Management Microsoft Windows XP