Nook29

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
My Q6600 is currently idling around the 45 degrees celsius mark, which is far too high. The heatsink is connected correctly, and the thermal paste applied properly.

For airflow in the case there are two 80mm fans and one 120mm fans.

Other than buying a new heatsink (which I really can't afford) and re-applying the thermal paste again, what can I do?

Nook29

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I have used Speed Fan (least accurate), Core Temp and Intel TAT. Core Temp matches the BIOS much better than the other two.

Bah, 45 is nothing. get some load temps...
Make sure any fan control in the bios is off. since you want it to be as cool as it can be.....Also make sure speed step is on....and set your power management to laptop so the cpu will clock down and run cooler(when idle...it will spring back @ load)....

Is it a G0 stepping?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You should, if you can, tell us what your ambient temps are, even if you could get a ambient temp reading in or near the case.

So that would also help determine what would be an adequate idle temp.

As what nuke said, your load temps would be the more important temp to watch out for.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Huh? Core temp reads the Tjunctions, so you only get the core digital readings. TAT is not going to be accurate (only good for pushing the cpu to test thermal cooling), and speed fan needs to be calibrated, but should read the Tcase sensor like the bios for single temp.

The only thing wrong with core temp is the Tjunction Max... if memory serves, or if the C2D temp guide changed... again. :lol:

Nook29

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Gave Crysis and Oblivion a go (both on highest settings), and the temperature never went higher than 58C, and that happened once.

It now also seems that because the temperature in the room has dropped (heating has now gone off), so has the idle temp by 10C.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
45C idle for the retail heatsink sounds correct. A little high, but possible. You won't get much better temps changing the thermal paste, but you could try, and check your case's airflow as well. You should be more worried about your load temps.

Nook29

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I understand most stuff about computers rather well, but the stuff in there is not what I've ever researched into, so have little knowledge on the matter.

All I know is the better the thermal paste and the better the heatsink the cooler it should be.

Yep. But you don't have to worry. Speedfan shows mine at 40c while two cores run at 34c and 2 at 30c. Also my BIOS shows it at normally 32c at startup 34c idle.

And mine never gets above 51c even when Prime95ing it for 1 hour+. And I live in the Arizona desert with a OC to 2.7GHz and no change to the stock voltage. So you are good trust me.

One thing to keep in mind about speedfan, Any newer(newly created..Intels processor spec finder has info on the specs for each cpu) core2 cpu has a TJ(max) of 100 and speedfan was only written to use 85(what the core2 used for the first while...)

Since Q6600's are newer they have a TJ(MAX) of 100c so speedfan requires a 15c offset to be accurate.

Core2 temp readings work based on taking a TJ(MAX) number that never changed and subtracting how close you are to get the final temp.
So let use an E6600 as an example

Speedfan asks the cpu how far am i from my max and gets an answer of 40 so speedfan just does the math

85 - 40 = 45

Speedfan then reports the temp of 45

Now you get a newer cpu with a max of 100 and speedfan asks how far.... 55....speedfan just plugs the numbers again....

85 - 55 = 30

So speedfan reports 30, but on a TJ(MAX) 100 cpu the temp is clearly too low since it should have placed a 100 where the 85 is.

speedfanjd8.gif

The beta has this fixed......but its easy to add the 15 offset anyway in the current speedfan under configure -> advanced. just remember to check in "remember it"...
speedfanqn3.gif

Note: TJmax[or as i was calling it TJ(MAX)] is a fixed number(per cpu). TJ(Thermal Junction) is another story all together....go see the core2 temp guide :p