Please recommend a 3.5 internal SATA enclosure.

jhmac77

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Please recommend a 3.5 internal SATA enclosure. Enclosure for a desktop computer that does not have a direct connection with the hard drive itself. Many of the hard drive enclosures that I have seen seem to show that the hard drive have to be directly connected to the wires inside the case. I need one priced about $35 or less and is sturdy.

I find that by using my internal hard drive as an external drive that direct connection can weaken the connections on the hard drive itself thus damaging the hd.

Jim

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm not sure where you've seen so many enclosures that have them directly connected to the motherboard. Most that I see connect a HDD through USB, firewire, or eSATA.

I would recommend getting an enclosure that supports eSATA as well as USB. Most come with a SATA to eSATA connector and work at nearly the same speed as if it was connected internally. Just do a search at www.newegg.com and choose the features you want.

I have a Rosewill eSATA/USB enclosure like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173043. It usually goes on sale for $30 or less.