New HDD install, winXP will not boot up

kpax

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
Hey all, new to the forms,

Right well heres the issue, i recently got a new 750gb S-ATA HDD, i installed the hardware in the PC and went to boot up, the computer didnt get by the winXP boot up screen, the loading bar never started loading and instead rebooted, i examined the harddrive and it didnt appear to be spinning up, i tried it in another computer and it wasnt spinning up, so i sent it back as dead on arrival they sent out a replacement and ive installed it.
Now this time the hdd is spinning up but im getting the same issue, the computer reboots at the WinXP loading screen, i changed the setting to not reboot, the error i got was 0x0000007B.
I checked the BIOS to make sure the boot priority is right and everything seems fine.
i tried switching the s-ata connectors on the mother board, that didnt work it still booted to the winXP loading screen and again just restarted.
If i take the new harddrive out it will boot up as normal...

the hard drive is a samsung spinpoint 750gb
Motherboard is abit kv8 pro

Im out of ideas on this one and would appreciate any help !

Thanks

K

Hmmm. Only thing I can think of right off the top of my head to check first, is it an SATA II drive, your board only has an SATA I controller. If this is the case, make sure the jumper on the drive is set so that the drive is SATA I compatible.

kpax

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
ok, so heres what i did, i checked the manual and theres a small paragraph about the issues with sata I and II, it provides a link to samsung hdd website with software to change from 3.0 down to 1.5g , so i made the boot disc and ran the software but i think the issue is that its not picking up the harddrive at all,
when i ran the bootdisc it was picking up the 2 other WD harddrives inside and giving me the error - unavailable for non samsung drive
so it could well be a matter of changing the jumper, how i do that i have no idea!
there are four pins beside the power and motherboard connectors on the HD,

K

Well, I did a little research. What I got was not good. It seems that indeed the only way to change is with the software, and more not so good news.
Complaint after complaint after complaint........check this drive out on Newegg, for what it is worth. It seems that very few people who bought this drive actually got it to work, and if it did work, it did not work for very long.
I would return it and get something else, really.

kpax, I assume that you added a new disk and you still boot from the old one. Is the boot disk S-ATA or P-ATA? Are you sure the boot order is correct? Error 0x0000007B will occur if the boot.ini info no longer is valid once the additional disk is installed.

kpax

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
yeah im still booting from the old one, it gets me as far as the winXP loading screen when the HDD is hooked up, the problem is it doesnt appear to be picking up the new HDD.

jitpublisher and roadrunner, can u recommend another HDD which would work without this mess, keeping in mind the main issue seems to be that my motherboard will only recognise sata I

K

G