COMPUTER WON'T POWER UP

412t1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I have a weird situation. My power supply somehow blew while the computer was off...all the magic smoke came out. I bought a new power supply and bought one of those power supply testers and each lead checks out ok. The computer has an Intel D850MV motherboard, Intel 1.6 processor running windows 98. It will not turn on. I do have the light on the motherboard but pushing the power button does absolutely nothing. I replaced the motherboard and still nothing. Any suggestions? Could the processor have fried even though the comptuer wasn't on.

Thanks for your help!

Shawn

sneeks

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Try another wall outlet in your house.

Make sure the power supply is switched to 110volts and not 220 and that it is switched on.

Make sure your power button isn't melty or something weird. This is important, inspect the entire length of the wire. Make sure that you're connecting the button to the board correctly.

Are you using a PS/2 mouse or keyboard? If so, try turning it on with them unplugged. I have a mouse that stops psu's and frys mainboards when you plug it in.

Just hook everything up, and then unplug one thing at a time, pressing the power button each time. You'll eventually find the culprit. Even unplug the ram and ultimately the processor.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

I hope you're going to get rid of that soon. :)