Turion hits 2.4GHz

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Yes, folks, AMD can actually do something right as the venerable Turion X2 has now reached TL68 or 2.4GHz using a cool 35W.

The processor is available in HP notebooks. See hp.shopping.com for details.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
dude

this is not relevant to the world

al gore = 666 in computer code

co2 does not cause warming - its water vapor and rays from space

co2 is a by product of warming

we have no rise in temps for 7 years
we have no major hurricanes for 2 years
we have record low's on all continental areas

there is no global warming and few watts does not matter!

global warming is psudo religion lead by the anti-modern movement, the one world goverment people and mostly by the billion dollar global warming business (schools and gov. contracts)

we are in the middle of record lows in south america -

ice is melting due the uv effect and loss of the 03 layer - ozone

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Whether or not you believe in global warming, lower power use and heat generation in a laptop is good for users. It can lead to less fan noise and more battery life, both of which are very relevant to the real world.

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007

LOL , way to go environmental on BM. Thats a new one.

Hope you really aren't that narrow minded on global warming. The world climate can not be generalized as all warming, and right now S. America is in La Nina. The ocean conveyor belt has a lot to do with the spatiality of global warming. The modernized world has made mistakes, and is not trying to hold down the rest of the world (the US gov. still doesn't acknowledge global warming, and is basically unwilling to sign and obey any environmental accords!), just trying to preserve this world for our progeny before it is too late. I think I just broke one of my 2 major tenets about not discussing religion or politics.

randomizer

Champion

What do you mean? AMD has done lots of things right, just not recently. And you sound like an ad for HP :lol:

Funny thing is that our polution levels in truth are lower than even Chinas. Especially since they are in their "industrial" age and do not care about the air or anything. Look at some of the cities as you need mask to breath clean air. Our car companies are leading the way for hydrogen/fuel cell vehicles. Ford for instance have a hydrogen Focus being tested in 30 countries and so far with a turbo gets the same gas mileage, more power and spits out water purer than spring water.

On topic, is that based on AMDs new APD or is it their old TPD? Cuz if it is set for ADP you can tell its not really going to use that low amount of power over all. I can't wait till early 08 to see what the 45nm Core Duo for laptops will do. Might be interesting.

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

I was gonna say the same thing... only you had the huevos to do it. -)

I also didn't want to say that, if you wait like 15 days, you get a 2.6GHz Penryn for the same (or less, more likely, given intel's recent TDP history) wattage which will wipe the floor with the Turion....

Is this from Alex Jones?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Well, if I get around to upgrading my Turion TL56 - also from HP, I'll let you know.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What? So because of a hiccup after a "bloody" price war with a now more than 20x larger market cap, they deserve all of the horrible jokes and total disrespect they are getting now?

So, you all have some kind of weird "praise the giant, bury the underdog" mentality that is cathartically developing a new view of AMD; the supplier of around 25% of the world market for X86 CPU, as a bunch of lying idiots whose employees deserve to be out of work?

Besides, I was just providing a link to where a stupid buyer could get ripped off. I mean, hey I advised lots of people to buy NetBurst when they were debating it. Now AMD can sell a slower architecture, right? No? Why not?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

I think this is a totally wrong view on the majority of people's opinions. Most people into their CPU hardware respect AMD as a company, heck any company that compete with something as large as Intel gets my vote! However recently they have made some major ****-ups and then tried covering them up, that's what has peeved me slightly. If Intel did the same i would be mighty annoyed, probably even more so than if AMD did as it would just be a blatant abuse of their "monopoly*" power!

*In this context i am using monopoly to signify Intel's ,massively dominant position with the oligopoly.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
oh wow... so that's like... a 1.7ghz core2duo given intel's 40% architectural ipc advantage? cool. that's pretty good. they're out of diapers now? hmmm. i guess i'll go buy a laptop with a 2.8ghz core2duo... which is like a 3.9ghz amd chip. right.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I believe Global warming is a threat, but I don't want to get into a debate about it.

Low CPU power consumption means increased Battery life and lower bills

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Go for it. At least you can say that you have to time the differences to notice them. That's always a plus in any purchase.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I think half the time people just post anti-AMD stuff here to get a rise out of you because you are so passionate about it. It's pretty hilarious to see how much it gets to you then you cry out about how we're all corporate slaves to Intel.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
hehe, cnumartyr. i'm not sure why i do it, but you may be partially right. check my sig. i'm certainly not anti-amd. i wish they'd produce something for me to find worth buying. maybe my budget-conscious self WILL buy spider when i get some cash. not sure.

i'm still trying to justify spending 220 on a 3870 512mb instead of a 8800gt 256mb. in that case though, i think i'm justified. i do not think i'd be justified going for a 9600 instead of a q6600, no matter how cool 790X and 790FX are.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I can justify the HD3870 to myself by looking ahead to the P45 chipset and Crossfire. The 3870 gets great performance improvements from CF.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
mmmm, yanno i hadn't heard much at all about P45, but that looks positively TASTY! especially since 8x 2.0 lanes = bandwidth of 16x 1.1 lanes. i guess i'll be up for an upgrade sooner than i thought :-D

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

It looks like a great mainstream board.. now the only question is if it will have DDR2 support, I've heard yes and no... I would think they'd almost have to on a mainstream board at this point.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
god i hope it'll have ddr2. ddr3 is still pointless. i'm still pretty sure you can buy 8GB of good DDR2 for the same price as 2GB of good DDR3.

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

The why buy the 2.4 TL-68 in the first place? By your logic, the current offerings are good enough..

you don't get to loud AMD for progress and then slam intel for the very same thing. *thats* what riles people up. If you praise AMD (and good for them that they are improving their 65nm offerings!) you don't get to say "you don't need the C2D because you can't tell the difference in speed".

so, which is it? Do you need the "better" AMD chip, or was that just a waste of time on their part?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What makes you think everything I write isn't totally planned with a desired end?