looking for mobo and 8gb ram combo that works.

I am looking for a mobo that works properly with 8gb of ram.
With the low cost of an additional 4gb of ram, I am interested in how it might be used for a ramdisk to speed up everyday processes. That discussion will have to be part of another post. For purposes of this post, I would like to find a mobo that meets minimal requirements.
1) P35 or X38 based, capable of running new 45nm penryn dual processors.
2) Supports 8gb (4x2) of ram.
3) ATX size.
4) Minimal mobo features are required.

Something like the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L would be fine.

In theory, there should be many DDR2-800 kits out there that wil do the job. I would like to hear from someone who actually has this combo running properly with Vista-64 bit.

Exactly what mobo/ram combo works, and must it run at 667 instead of 800?

I second what Maziar stated. Good choice of working boards there to choose from, that should fit your needs. I have personally used 4 of the 5 boards he listed (All but the Gigabyte P35-DS3L), and they all have worked for my needs, including 8GB of RAM.

Although I use 1066 RAM and not 800 in my systems, I have not had issues with running at lower speeds.

mobo57

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
My main rig:
Q6600, IP35 Pro, 8 gig Patriot 6400 12-5-5-5 at 12-4-4-4 1:1(part number PDC24G6400ELK), Coolit Eliminator, 8800 GTX....
Running at 390x9 24/7. Os's: XP Pro, XP64, Vista 32 & 64. XP's are on one disk, 2 partitions, same with Vista.
Built mostly for 3DS Max-Maya, and Adobe Production Studio.
Even with the 8 gig I still use XP over Vista 99.9% of the time. Vista seems to average about 10 to 20% slower than XP. Even have my swap file running on it's own RAID 0.
My render farm is a couple of GA P35-DS3L's with Q's. 4 gigs of OCZ Platinum at 15-5-5-5 1:1 all at 350x9.

mobo57

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Not any "official" stuff. Some stuff here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mobo531&search=Search and here http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198883&page=1&pp=15. Right now I am maintaining my amateur status, have a "real" job that pays the bills. Most of my work is for the wife. She is a elementary school teacher. Make videos for her and her fellow teachers to help with their lessons, mostly math and science. Kids seem to pay more attention to an animation than a teacher at times. That TV is a hypnotic-addictive object to them. But if it gets the material through, so be it.
Have also done some work for non-profits, fund raisers and a "fun" video on a local politician for a special event.

mobo57

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007

Should not have any problems. When you first start up you may have to use only one module then raise the vdimm in the BIOS. My DS3L boards tend to have some vdroop. The one I have up one the screen right now is set at +.03, 2.1 v in BIOS but shows 1.97 v with Everest.
All of the OCZ I have had seems to like to run at the upper end of it's vdimm spec.

This is an old post, but I used corsair DDR2-800 C5 ram. It ran 8gb just fine at stock. I can't remember if it was at 667 or 800. The speed made little difference in performance. I had trouble overclocking with 8gb, so I did not bother.