Sign in with
Your question

Intel and the 45nm processors.

Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2007 10:12:44 PM

For those who don't know, I work at Intel in the OPD factory which stands for Oregon Packaging and Distribution. basically what I do is help to make and distribute product that you see at store shelves or at online retailers. Well today we made product that we had never before made. It was a new, lighter blue box with a green sticker on it. I asked a fellow co-worker to bring a box to me so i could see what it was up closer. Turns out that green sticker is the "45nm" sticker and the box is for all the Core 2 processors! So I looked at one of the chips we were helping to package and ship out. This processor was the Core 2 Duo E8400. The following specs were...

- 6MB Shared L2 Cache
- 1333MHz FSB
- 45nm (obviously)
- 3.0GHz clock

Interesting to note, is that the processor uses the latest Celeron fans. Which made no sense to me until i figured that these things must REALLY use a lot less heat. granted out Core 2 Duo E6600's and higher use a rather large, copper and aluminum heatsink.

I'll give you more information when i return back home, but right now I have to head out and take care of some errands. This is really interesting news as I seriously can not find this product out on the amrket right now. I asked my supervisor if it was a pre-packaging for unreleased product, and he said it was released on November 12th. So I don't know, but I would like to share this with you any ways and conclude that Intel is already packaging and distributing its 45nm products.

More about : intel 45nm processors

December 20, 2007 10:27:55 PM

Thanks for the head's up on this. I'm figuring on building in January, so will keep this in mind. The fan size seems small, but I always toss the factory heatsink/fans anyway and put on aftermarket stuff for overclocking.
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2007 10:40:45 PM

@OP: Are you allowed to disclose that info? :lol: 

Thanks for the heads up :) 
Related resources
December 20, 2007 10:45:15 PM

A.) Thanks for the info - although I don't know if your management appreciates you letting us know this (it's semi-public knowledge).
B.) I thought Intel did all it's packaging operations overseas since it's cheaper. Or are you the one who takes the boxed up all pretty package from overseas and puts a bunch of them together in a big box for a customer?
December 20, 2007 10:50:10 PM

nice, so from this asssumption they should be hitting the streets fairly soon?

or hitting the ground because they "fell off the back of a truck" ;)  if you kow what i mean?
December 20, 2007 11:08:42 PM

justinmcg67 said:
he said it was released on November 12th.

That is a surprising statment. That CPU wasnt anounced anywhere that I read.
December 20, 2007 11:17:13 PM

It's a Wolfdale (dualcore). The rumored delayed chips are the Yorkfield quads (Q9300, Q9450 and Q9550).
The E8400 was announced a while back, and is supposed to be out in early January. If you Google around, there are a few ES reviews:
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7096.html
December 21, 2007 12:00:03 AM

Granted my supervisor said it was "announced" I felt that disclosing this information was perfectly acceptable.

B.) I thought Intel did all it's packaging operations overseas since it's cheaper. Or are you the one who takes the boxed up all pretty package from overseas and puts a bunch of them together in a big box for a customer? said:
B.) I thought Intel did all it's packaging operations overseas since it's cheaper. Or are you the one who takes the boxed up all pretty package from overseas and puts a bunch of them together in a big box for a customer?

They make the processors overseas, we primarily have them located in Malaysia and Costa Rica. In fact if you look on any Intel CPU it'll have the S-SPEC than will either say MALAY or COSTA. That's how you'll know where the chip was actually made.

What we do however, is take those chips, put them in the boxes, put on all the fancy labels and security tags, than put'em on pallets and ship them out to customers. there's more to it but that's really it in a nutshell.

What shocked me though the most was the fan size. it is EXACTLY the same fan as the Celerons use. I deal with thousands upon thousands of these things on a weekly basis so I know it to be true. The only difference is the part number. The normal fans we use on most Core 2 Duo/Quad products have the D60188-001 product number, we also have D75716-001 which is the Celeron heatsink fan product number.

Also, the S-SPEC for the E8400 was SLAPR if I recall. Could have been SLABR, I had to memorize it kind of quickly. So forgive me if that is off. but it is one of the two!
December 21, 2007 1:26:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification, exit2dos. I'm one of the guys who was really waiting for a yorky on Jan 20 and is now very disapointed if its delayed!
December 21, 2007 3:15:09 AM

OlSkoolChopper said:
Thanks for the clarification, exit2dos. I'm one of the guys who was really waiting for a yorky on Jan 20 and is now very disapointed if its delayed!

While I personally do not know if it will be delayed or not, or if anyone at our campus would know, I will ask around and try to provide some sort of an answer for you.
December 21, 2007 12:25:52 PM

That would be great, Justin! I'm in limbo trying to make do with a P-D 915 and I'm ready just to hit it with a eight pound sledgehamer! :) 
December 21, 2007 2:14:58 PM

justinmcg67 said:

They make the processors overseas, we primarily have them located in Malaysia and Costa Rica. In fact if you look on any Intel CPU it'll have the S-SPEC than will either say MALAY or COSTA. That's how you'll know where the chip was actually made.

What we do however, is take those chips, put them in the boxes, put on all the fancy labels and security tags, than put'em on pallets and ship them out to customers. there's more to it but that's really it in a nutshell.

And by making the processors overseas, what you really mean is the wafers are manufactured in the US, Ireland, and Israel, then they go to the third world countries to be cut into the individual die and put in CPU packages (not the boxes, the actual packages that allow communication from the die to the socket). So then they come back to the US just to be put in colorful boxes? I wonder why they don't do that in the same place they cut up the die and put them in CPU packages - it would be just another little part of the assembly line.
December 21, 2007 7:14:56 PM

In light of some recent PMs I'd like to state the following...

• None of this is Intel Confidential. Reviews of the actual processor can viewed at these websites...

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=622892

http://en.expreview.com/?p=68&page=1

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=26...

• This does not breach any contract agreement whatsoever between Intel and Myself.

• With the help of a few members, and some Google searching, it turns out that the very information I posted can in fact be found on the internet already. Thus deeming what I posted as "null."

Hope this clears up some of the things people PMed me, and I hope you all find the reviews of the E8400 and it's spec to be of some use to yourselves; as the CPU is really interesting and will be available for purchase in the very near future. Thank you.
    December 21, 2007 11:20:13 PM

Thanks for the find. When i did a Google search on the CPU it did pop up a few sales results but I wasn't sure how accurate they'd be. But thank you for that find.
    December 21, 2007 11:31:11 PM

I know what I want Santy Claws to bring me this year! A Wolfy or a Yorky! :) 
    a c 126 à CPUs
    December 22, 2007 2:34:53 AM

Well Justin according to one guy who got his hands on a QX9650 he showed the SpeedFan temps and when OC'ed to 4GHz(on air non the less) compared to a QX6850 it was about 20c cooler. The QX6850 was running at 50-55c and the QX9650 was running at 30-35c if I remember correctly.

So the heatsink fan makes sense. But imagine pairing that with a nice Zalman CPNS 9700. Could get it to 4GHz on air and keep it at 30c all the time. Well don't forget the Arctic Silver 5. I want the specs on the Q9450. Its my dream to get me one of them and OC it to 3.2GHz at least. It would go great with my Corsair XMS2 PC1066 since that ram OCs really easily(has 2.2v max memory voltage).
    December 22, 2007 1:21:47 PM

So no more need to water or phase change? Woot!!
    December 22, 2007 5:56:11 PM

What’s the difference between these part numbers:
    BX80570E8400A
    EU80570PJ0806M

They are both Intel E8400’s
    December 22, 2007 10:46:09 PM

drysocks said:
    BX80570E8400A
    EU80570PJ0806M

Manufacturer is sometimes the case.
    December 22, 2007 11:23:31 PM

drysocks said:
    BX80570E8400A
    EU80570PJ0806M

Most likely one is Retail and one is OEM. (CPU fan vs No CPU Fan)
    December 23, 2007 12:07:09 AM

Justin-
    Are you a gren badge or a blue badge? While this information may be out you have no authority to be out speaking about intel product which you clearly know little about. I would bet you are a green badge as any OM or E-GL would have not said it was fine for you to be posting about products that don't ship to channels for another month.

I will finish on a lighter note......those that are waiting for the rest of the product launch will not be dissapointed.

happy holidays....>)
    December 23, 2007 12:53:11 AM

fletch, any way you could kinda secretly wink at us to tell us that Yorkies are coming in Jan? Please? I really want one bad! I'd be geting a Wolfy just because I can't wait unitl March!

spentshells, good on you to not do the X2 deal. the Wolfies are going to eat Athlons like if it was fresh deer meat! :) 
    December 23, 2007 1:21:01 AM

jimmysmitty said:
    Well Justin according to one guy who got his hands on a QX9650 he showed the SpeedFan temps and when OC'ed to 4GHz(on air non the less) compared to a QX6850 it was about 20c cooler. The QX6850 was running at 50-55c and the QX9650 was running at 30-35c if I remember correctly.

And the E8400 then would be exactly half of a QX9650 (which is two 3GHz dies on a MCM). These are going to be awesome processors.
    December 23, 2007 1:42:01 AM

OlSkoolChopper said:
    That would be great, Justin! I'm in limbo trying to make do with a P-D 915 and I'm ready just to hit it with a eight pound sledgehamer! :) 

Pentium Ds were great fun chips. Me and a mate had a few laughs trying to get one to reach 5ghz. We never managed it in the end, only got to 4.6!
    December 23, 2007 1:56:26 AM

quantumsheep said:
    Pentium Ds were great fun chips. Me and a mate had a few laughs trying to get one to reach 5ghz. We never managed it in the end, only got to 4.6!

I have one right now at 3.8ghz at stock volts and my temperatures (30C-43C, 18C ambient) haven't changed a bit :pt1cable: .
    December 23, 2007 2:05:33 AM

jbj190 said:
    I have one right now at 3.8ghz at stock volts and my temperatures (30C-43C, 18C ambient) haven't changed a bit :pt1cable: .

I have one right now at 2.8ghz at stock everything and it sucks big ****** :( 
    a b à CPUs
    December 23, 2007 2:24:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up Justin.

I am sure Intel won't get pissed as these products are much anticipated items.

:) 
    December 23, 2007 2:41:34 AM

so whats the new qquad that will work my my 680i? I grow tired of my q6600.
    December 23, 2007 2:44:32 AM

enewmen said:
    Yup, that looks like a Yorkie! Good find!

The only question now is just how acurate or not is that claim of shipping in 1 to 2 weeks! That's way before Jan. 20!
    December 23, 2007 2:58:48 AM

OlSkoolChopper said:
    The only question now is just how acurate or not is that claim of shipping in 1 to 2 weeks! That's way before Jan. 20!

I am not sure if they can ship in 2 weeks. I'm just happy to see them for sale ANYPLACE.
    December 23, 2007 10:05:53 AM

Shopbot.ca shows Yorkies from a couple of other retaliers. they show out of stock and don't have a delivery date though!
    December 23, 2007 2:27:20 PM

fletch420 said:
    Justin-
    Are you a gren badge or a blue badge? While this information may be out you have no authority to be out speaking about intel product which you clearly know little about. I would bet you are a green badge as any OM or E-GL would have not said it was fine for you to be posting about products that don't ship to channels for another month.

I will finish on a lighter note......those that are waiting for the rest of the product launch will not be dissapointed.

happy holidays....>)

It's not Intel Confidential, read the whole thread before posting, thanks you.

I have NO idea if they're delayed or not, Intel hasn't confirmed it and I know absolutely nothing about it.
    December 23, 2007 2:45:35 PM

Justin, I know it may not mean much since I thought a blue badge was Intel and a green badge was AMD, :)  but I really apreciate your heads-up and encourage you to keep 'em comin'!
    December 23, 2007 3:18:05 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:
    Justin, I know it may not mean much since I thought a blue badge was Intel and a green badge was AMD, :)  but I really apreciate your heads-up and encourage you to keep 'em comin'!

Yeah, I'm actually going over to one of my supervisors' house today, who coincidentally is my Uncle. So I'll see what's going on. Once again, what I disclosed earlier was NOT Intel Confidential. It's been on the web for awhile now and was announced November 12th.

EDIT: As for the colored badges, Blue Badges are people hired directly by Intel, Green Badges are hired to work at Intel via some sort of agency, we're contractors basically.
    December 23, 2007 9:16:52 PM

My badge is 10w30 colored now :)  Hey if you find out anything you can tell me by PM and I promis I wont tell anybody! :) 
    December 24, 2007 2:33:46 PM

It does not have to be intel con for you to not be running around running your trap and I have been rather nice about it actually. I read the whole thread.

To the other ?...all i am willing to say is....you can expect no delays in parts being available when claimed....so yes I can say the relaes date will stick.

pennys will have never looked so god....>)
    December 24, 2007 2:38:05 PM

fletch... I know you can't just outrite state it, but I'm tryin to build a system that the future of my own company may very well depend on. Am I corect in reasonably expecting Q9550 on Jan. 20 or not?
    December 24, 2007 3:01:59 PM

fletch420 said:
    It does not have to be intel con for you to not be running around running your trap and I have been rather nice about it actually. I read the whole thread.

Trap? You're an idiot. And yes, it HAS to be Intel Confidential, if it's not confidential than it's of no concern. THATS THE POINT OF CONFIDENTIALITY!!

a b à CPUs
    December 24, 2007 4:01:09 PM

^Duh. fletch420's just a nub :lol:  . He could be irhealx0r in disguise. :lol:  (see my sig).
    !