Ideas for HUGE display?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 26, 2005 2:42:29 PM

At 47 my eyes and bones aren't what they used to be.

I spend LONG hrs in front of a PC sometimes. My butt
gets sore, my posture gets bad, etc.

What I really want is something like a movie theater
experience when I set down to use the PC or Internet.

I want to set back from the display on say a couch with
my feet propped up on a stool. I want the display to
be BIG...... can see it fine from 8 feet back.

I want to be able to use the PC in above manner for
surfing, newsgroups, and even TV watching.

Is a projector the only device that will give all the
above? Or can I by a big plasma or LCD tv that will
let me use it as a PC display as well as for TV
watching?

Or...... can I get a big tube TV/monitor that is HD
ready and use THAT as a PC display somehow?

Bottom line.... what display technology fills all
functions above and is the best bang for buck?

More about : ideas huge display

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:33:52 PM

http://www.largescreenvideo.com/

--
- Lee
Anonymous

You have a ton of options. You can buy any type of HDTV
system...projection, CRT, plasma, or LCD. You really don't need to
worry about the HDTV set as much as your computer equipment. You can
either buy a bad ass video card designed for home theatre or just use
this ATI adapter:

http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/

Then just get yourself a wireless mouse and keyboard or a remote
control for your PC:

http://www.ati.com/products/remotewonder/

I use a desktop computer to record programs. It's free compared to a
monthly subscription to Tivo. You can even record programs in HDTV
quality:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1771212788933180/

--
hdtvnut
This post originated from http://www.hdtv-info.org/forum/

hdtvnut wrote:
> You have a ton of options. You can buy any type of HDTV
> system...projection, CRT, plasma, or LCD. You really don't need to
> worry about the HDTV set as much as your computer equipment. You can
> either buy a bad ass video card designed for home theatre or just use
> this ATI adapter:
>
> http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/
>
> Then just get yourself a wireless mouse and keyboard or a remote
> control for your PC:
>
> http://www.ati.com/products/remotewonder/
>
> I use a desktop computer to record programs. It's free compared to a
> monthly subscription to Tivo. You can even record programs in HDTV
> quality:
>
> http://www.engadget.com/entry/1771212788933180/

He should make sure that the HD TV has a VGA port for easy computer
connectivity. Not at all of them do as some new models are dropping the
VGA port from the basic models to save a few bucks.

The original poster did not state what his budget was. The only way to
get a really big screen, say 70" or bigger, for less than 4 to 5K is a
front projector. Until 1920x1080 FPs become common, the resolution of,
say 1280x720 on a 80" projection screen for regular PC use might be a
hindrance.

The biggest direct view LCD TV widely available is the Sharp 45"
1920x1080 Aquos which is currently listed at $7K (USD) after a $1000
price drop. The 46" Samsung LCD may be showing up in larger quantities
soon with better picture quality of the "R" models. We are supposed to
see a 57" LCD TV from Sharp by the end of the year, but I suspect it
will be out of the price range for most of us.

The biggest plasma currently available is the 65" Panasonic which has
gotten high marks for picture quality. The commercial version, the
TH-65PHD7UY, can be had for less than $10K from discount dealers.
However, while the Panny plasma is fine for watching TV and movies, I
don't know how well it would hold up for regular PC use.

My suggestion would be to go www.avsforum.com and read some of the
postings in the TV and HTPC forums there.

Alan F
May 27, 2005 5:33:25 AM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:42:29 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>Bottom line.... what display technology fills all
>functions above and is the best bang for buck?

Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD 1920x1080 resolution.
Hooks up to your video card effortlessly.

MSRP ~$2500

Best Buy has them.

You can sit a little closer for the browsing and back off for movies.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:10:45 PM

santa wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:42:29 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>Bottom line.... what display technology fills all
>>functions above and is the best bang for buck?
>
> Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD 1920x1080 resolution.
> Hooks up to your video card effortlessly.
>
> MSRP ~$2500
>
> Best Buy has them.
>
> You can sit a little closer for the browsing and back off for movies.

I have seen the Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD TV. The picture quality is
not very good - motion smear, poor black levels, washed out colors. The
Sharp Aquos, "R" series Samsung, Panasonic LCD TVs to name some, while
not 1920x1080p pixel resolution, all have much better picture quality
than the Westinghouse. The only advantages to the Westinghouse is the
cheap price and the pixel resolution. It might be acceptable for PC use,
but not for much TV watching unless you can live with being unable to
see any details in dark scenes in movies.

The OP is asking for a really big display. He may be several years
early. We will have 1080p DLP RPTVs hitting the market this summer.
Several years from now, in the flat panel category, we should have
"affordable" 60+" 1080p plasma and 50+" 1080p LCD TVs widely available
at the Best Buy type stores.

Alan F
May 27, 2005 1:10:46 PM

> The OP is asking for a really big display. He may be several years
>early.

Yes I may be early on this.
May 29, 2005 3:54:14 AM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:10:45 -0400, Alan Figgatt
<afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:

>santa wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:42:29 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>>Bottom line.... what display technology fills all
>>>functions above and is the best bang for buck?
>>
>> Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD 1920x1080 resolution.
>> Hooks up to your video card effortlessly.
>>
>> MSRP ~$2500
>>
>> Best Buy has them.
>>
>> You can sit a little closer for the browsing and back off for movies.
>
> I have seen the Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD TV. The picture quality is
>not very good - motion smear, poor black levels, washed out colors. The
>Sharp Aquos, "R" series Samsung, Panasonic LCD TVs to name some, while
>not 1920x1080p pixel resolution, all have much better picture quality
>than the Westinghouse. The only advantages to the Westinghouse is the
>cheap price and the pixel resolution. It might be acceptable for PC use,
>but not for much TV watching unless you can live with being unable to
>see any details in dark scenes in movies.

I know what you mean, the factory settings are pretty bad. But if you
crank the backlight from 90 down to 9, and crank the sharpness and
contrast up, it starts to look a LOT better. You can do all this with
the buttons on the side of the set. Biggest problem I've had is I
couldn't get the color adjusted the way I'd like, but I might give it
a try after reading the owner's manual. The killer though is it lacks
the snappy contrast and color richness that the Samsung sets have.
Adjust the set properly and take away the Samsungs, and it's in the
ballpark with everything else. I think with it's much higher
resolution, it's lacking in the edge sharpening tricks department.

I think you really have to consider the price though before writing it
off. It's cheap for a 37" LCD, and it will always make a great PC
monitor, in a year or two when you've moved on to something else for
your DVDs.

Of course the wise thing to do is wait for the other 1080p 37" sets
coming out and pick the best of the litter.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:11:51 AM

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:o q8e91dst24glp7i9uqh801fo5bu007ekv@4ax.com...
>> The OP is asking for a really big display. He may be several years
>>early.
>
> Yes I may be early on this.

You might want to check out the Panasonic 50" and 60" LCD projection models.
They have are simple to connect to computers, and moderate in cost (~$2500).
By all means go look at the 45" Sharp LCD. It is an amazingly detailed and
bright picture, but rather expensive at $5k. Front projectors will give a
larger picture, but would require a darkened room.
!