Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I want Dvorak keyboard, but it isn't there....

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 21, 2005 8:26:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I go to the regional and Language Options >Languages > Details. Here I have
English (United States) - US. The drop-down menu doesn't give any other
choices.
The Installed Services box contains the following: English (United States,
below that is Keyboard and below that is .US
When I click on ADD, I get two drop menus: the first is Input Language -
right now it is Afrikaans
Below that is the keyboard Layout/IME box. In this is US.
No matter what language I put in the first box, the keyboard remains US..
How can I get the US keyboard to offer Dvorak??
Thank you,
Waldo
win XP sp2

More about : dvorak keyboard

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:21:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Perhaps you should load the drivers for the keyboard.

"Waldo" wrote:

> I go to the regional and Language Options >Languages > Details. Here I have
> English (United States) - US. The drop-down menu doesn't give any other
> choices.
> The Installed Services box contains the following: English (United States,
> below that is Keyboard and below that is .US
> When I click on ADD, I get two drop menus: the first is Input Language -
> right now it is Afrikaans
> Below that is the keyboard Layout/IME box. In this is US.
> No matter what language I put in the first box, the keyboard remains US..
> How can I get the US keyboard to offer Dvorak??
> Thank you,
> Waldo
> win XP sp2
>
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:17:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

[[In Windows XP, the route is: Start | Control Panel | Regional and Language
Options | Languages | "Details" button | add (under Installed services)
"English (United States) - United States Dvorak". Windows may then ask for
the Windows install disk to grab the layout. Click "OK" until you're out,
and you're done! ]]
The Dvorak Keyboard -- a Primer
http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/convert.html

Dvorak Keyboard Layouts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;95141

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CtFDe.10494$YD3.239@trndny03,
Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> hunted and pecked:
> I go to the regional and Language Options >Languages > Details. Here I
> have English (United States) - US. The drop-down menu doesn't give any
> other choices.
> The Installed Services box contains the following: English (United States,
> below that is Keyboard and below that is .US
> When I click on ADD, I get two drop menus: the first is Input Language -
> right now it is Afrikaans
> Below that is the keyboard Layout/IME box. In this is US.
> No matter what language I put in the first box, the keyboard remains US..
> How can I get the US keyboard to offer Dvorak??
> Thank you,
> Waldo
> win XP sp2
Related resources
July 22, 2005 3:17:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thank you for your quick response.
I did all that, but there is nothing in the list of languages that has
the word Dvorak in it...The keyboard that is selected is English (United
States)...No choice of Dvorak.
The instructions assume that I have the Dvorak keyboard available. Is
there some way of getting it and installing it into the system?...The
computer does not ask for the disk, so that doesn't help ...
Thanks
Waldo

> [[In Windows XP, the route is: Start | Control Panel | Regional and
> Language Options | Languages | "Details" button | add (under Installed
> services) "English (United States) - United States Dvorak". Windows
> may then ask for the Windows install disk to grab the layout. Click
> "OK" until you're out, and you're done! ]]
> The Dvorak Keyboard -- a Primer
> http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/convert.html
>
> Dvorak Keyboard Layouts
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;95141
>
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:18:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Waldo,

According to...
The Dvorak Keyboard -- a Primer
http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/convert.html

[[Dvorak has been built in to Microsoft Windows since version 3.0. ]]

I have these listed: United States-Dvorak, United States-Dvorak for left
hand and United States-Dvorak for right hand.

I don't know what if any of the following makes a difference.

Here is what I have under:
Regional and Language Options...
Start | Run | Type: intl.cpl | Click OK |

Regional Options tab: English (United States)

Languages tab | Details button | Settings tab:
Default input language: English (United States) - US
---

Clicking the Add button brings up Add Input Language:
Input Language: English (United States)
Keyboard layout/IME: United States-Dvorak
-----

Advanced tab:
Language for non-Unicode programs:
English (united States)
The following are checked under Code page conversion tables ( I have no idea
why. Nor do I know what half of these languages are):
? 10000 (MAC - Roman)
? 10006 (MAC - Greek I)
? 10007 (MAC - Cyrillic)
? 10010 (MAC - Romania)
? 10017 (MAC - Ukraine)
? 10029 (MAC - Latin II)
? 10079 (MAC - Icelandic)
? 10081 (MAC - Turkish)
? 10082 (MAC - Croatia)
? 1026 (IBM EBCDIC - Turkish (Latin-5)
? 1250 (ANSI - Central Europe)
? 1251 (ANSI - Cyrillic)
? 1252 (ANSI - Latin I)
? 1253 (ANSI - Greek)
? 1254 (ANSI - Turkish)
? 1255 (ANSI - Hebrew)
? 1256 (ANSI - Arabic)
? 1257 (ANSI - Baltic)
? 1258 (ANSI/OEM - Viet Nam)
? 1361 (Korean - Johab)
? 20127 (US-ASCII)
? 20261 (T.61)
? 20866 (Russian - K018)
? 21866 (Ukrainian - K018-U)
? 28591 (ISO 8859-1 Latin I)
? 28592 (ISO 8859-2 Central Europe)
? 28594 (ISO 8859-4 Baltic)
? 28595 (ISO 8859-5 Cyrillic)
? 28597 (ISO 8859-7 Greek)
? 28599 (ISO 8859-9 Latin 5)
? 28605 (ISO 8859-15 Latin 9)
? 37 (IBM EBCDIC - U.S./Canada)
? 437 (OEM - United States)
? 500 (IBM EBCDIC - International)
? 50220 (ISO-2022 Japanese with no halfwidth Katakana)
? 50221 (ISO-2022 Japanese with halfwidth Katakana)
? 50222 (ISO-2022 Japanese JIS X 0201-1989)
? 50225 (ISO-2022 Korean)
? 50227 (ISO-2022 Simplified Chinese)
? 50229 (ISO-2022 Traditional Chinese)
? 51949 (EUC-Korean)
? 52936 (HZ-GB2312 Simplified Chinese)
? 57002 (ISCII Devanagari)
? 57003 (ISCII Bengali)
? 57004 (ISCII Tamil)
? 57005 (ISCII Telugu)
? 57006 (ISCII Assamese)
? 57007 (ISCII Oriya)
? 57008 (ISCII Kannada)
? 57009 (ISCII Malayalam)
? 57010 (ISCII Gujarati)
? 57011 (ISCII Gurmukhi)
? 65000 (UTF-7)
? 65001 (UTF-8)
? 702 (Arabic - Transparent ASMO)
? 737 (OEM - Greek 437G)
? 775 (OEM - Baltic)
? 850 (OEM - Multilingual Latin I)
? 852 (OEM - Latin II)
? 855 (OEM - Cyrillic)
? 857 (OEM - Turkish)
? 860 (OEM - Portuguese)
? 861 (OEM - Icelandic)
? 862 (OEM - Hebrew)
? 863 (OEM - Canadian French)
? 865 (OEM - Nordic)
? 866 (OEM - Russian)
? 869 (OEM - Modern Greek)
? 874 (ANSI/OEM - Thai)
? 875 (IBM EBCDIC - Modern Greek)
? 932 (ANSI/OEM - Japanese Shift-JIS)
? 936 (ANSI/OEM - Simplified Chinese Big5)
? 949 (ANSI/OEM - Korean)
? 950 (ANSI/OEM - Traditional Chinese Big%)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:h2WDe.11683$SZ3.7404@trndny02,
Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you for your quick response.
> I did all that, but there is nothing in the list of languages that has
> the word Dvorak in it...The keyboard that is selected is English (United
> States)...No choice of Dvorak.
> The instructions assume that I have the Dvorak keyboard available. Is
> there some way of getting it and installing it into the system?...The
> computer does not ask for the disk, so that doesn't help ...
> Thanks
> Waldo
>
>> [[In Windows XP, the route is: Start | Control Panel | Regional and
>> Language Options | Languages | "Details" button | add (under Installed
>> services) "English (United States) - United States Dvorak". Windows
>> may then ask for the Windows install disk to grab the layout. Click
>> "OK" until you're out, and you're done! ]]
>> The Dvorak Keyboard -- a Primer
>> http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/convert.html
>>
>> Dvorak Keyboard Layouts
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;95141
July 23, 2005 12:24:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Wesley,
Thank you again for trying to help me with this.
I have everything you've listed, EXCEPT the Dvorak configuration... It's
a mystery to me as to why it isn't in there...I'm wondering how I can get
it into the system...
I'll keep looking ...
Thanks,
Waldo


> Hi Waldo,
>
> According to...
> The Dvorak Keyboard -- a Primer
> http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/convert.html
>
> [[Dvorak has been built in to Microsoft Windows since version 3.0. ]]
>
> I have these listed: United States-Dvorak, United States-Dvorak for
> left hand and United States-Dvorak for right hand.
>
> I don't know what if any of the following makes a difference.
>
> Here is what I have under:
> Regional and Language Options...
> Start | Run | Type: intl.cpl | Click OK |
>
> Regional Options tab: English (United States)
>
> Languages tab | Details button | Settings tab:
> Default input language: English (United States) - US
> ---
>
> Clicking the Add button brings up Add Input Language:
> Input Language: English (United States)
> Keyboard layout/IME: United States-Dvorak
> -----
>
> Advanced tab:
> Language for non-Unicode programs:
> English (united States)
> The following are checked under Code page conversion tables ( I have
> no idea why. Nor do I know what half of these languages are):
> ? 10000 (MAC - Roman)
> ? 10006 (MAC - Greek I)
> ? 10007 (MAC - Cyrillic)
> ? 10010 (MAC - Romania)
> ? 10017 (MAC - Ukraine)
> ? 10029 (MAC - Latin II)
> ? 10079 (MAC - Icelandic)
> ? 10081 (MAC - Turkish)
> ? 10082 (MAC - Croatia)
> ? 1026 (IBM EBCDIC - Turkish (Latin-5)
> ? 1250 (ANSI - Central Europe)
> ? 1251 (ANSI - Cyrillic)
> ? 1252 (ANSI - Latin I)
> ? 1253 (ANSI - Greek)
> ? 1254 (ANSI - Turkish)
> ? 1255 (ANSI - Hebrew)
> ? 1256 (ANSI - Arabic)
> ? 1257 (ANSI - Baltic)
> ? 1258 (ANSI/OEM - Viet Nam)
> ? 1361 (Korean - Johab)
> ? 20127 (US-ASCII)
> ? 20261 (T.61)
> ? 20866 (Russian - K018)
> ? 21866 (Ukrainian - K018-U)
> ? 28591 (ISO 8859-1 Latin I)
> ? 28592 (ISO 8859-2 Central Europe)
> ? 28594 (ISO 8859-4 Baltic)
> ? 28595 (ISO 8859-5 Cyrillic)
> ? 28597 (ISO 8859-7 Greek)
> ? 28599 (ISO 8859-9 Latin 5)
> ? 28605 (ISO 8859-15 Latin 9)
> ? 37 (IBM EBCDIC - U.S./Canada)
> ? 437 (OEM - United States)
> ? 500 (IBM EBCDIC - International)
> ? 50220 (ISO-2022 Japanese with no halfwidth Katakana)
> ? 50221 (ISO-2022 Japanese with halfwidth Katakana)
> ? 50222 (ISO-2022 Japanese JIS X 0201-1989)
> ? 50225 (ISO-2022 Korean)
> ? 50227 (ISO-2022 Simplified Chinese)
> ? 50229 (ISO-2022 Traditional Chinese)
> ? 51949 (EUC-Korean)
> ? 52936 (HZ-GB2312 Simplified Chinese)
> ? 57002 (ISCII Devanagari)
> ? 57003 (ISCII Bengali)
> ? 57004 (ISCII Tamil)
> ? 57005 (ISCII Telugu)
> ? 57006 (ISCII Assamese)
> ? 57007 (ISCII Oriya)
> ? 57008 (ISCII Kannada)
> ? 57009 (ISCII Malayalam)
> ? 57010 (ISCII Gujarati)
> ? 57011 (ISCII Gurmukhi)
> ? 65000 (UTF-7)
> ? 65001 (UTF-8)
> ? 702 (Arabic - Transparent ASMO)
> ? 737 (OEM - Greek 437G)
> ? 775 (OEM - Baltic)
> ? 850 (OEM - Multilingual Latin I)
> ? 852 (OEM - Latin II)
> ? 855 (OEM - Cyrillic)
> ? 857 (OEM - Turkish)
> ? 860 (OEM - Portuguese)
> ? 861 (OEM - Icelandic)
> ? 862 (OEM - Hebrew)
> ? 863 (OEM - Canadian French)
> ? 865 (OEM - Nordic)
> ? 866 (OEM - Russian)
> ? 869 (OEM - Modern Greek)
> ? 874 (ANSI/OEM - Thai)
> ? 875 (IBM EBCDIC - Modern Greek)
> ? 932 (ANSI/OEM - Japanese Shift-JIS)
> ? 936 (ANSI/OEM - Simplified Chinese Big5)
> ? 949 (ANSI/OEM - Korean)
> ? 950 (ANSI/OEM - Traditional Chinese Big%)
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:24:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Waldo,

I haven't given up yet. :-)

I did a search for dvorak in my registry and I found these entries.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00010409]
"Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
"Layout Id"="0002"
"Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00030409]
"Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
"Layout Id"="001A"
"Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00040409]
"Layout File"="KBDUSR.DLL"
"Layout Id"="001B"
"Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for right hand"
"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5028"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00010409]
"Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
"Layout Id"="0002"
"Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00030409]
"Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
"Layout Id"="001A"
"Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
Layouts\00010409]
"Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
"Layout Id"="0002"
"Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
Layouts\00030409]
"Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
"Layout Id"="001A"
"Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
Layouts\00040409]
"Layout File"="KBDUSR.DLL"
"Layout Id"="001B"
"Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for right hand"
"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5028"

Now, here's a question for ya, do you have any of those keys?

Do you have any of the following files?

KBDDV.DLL = Dvorak US English Keyboard Layout
KBDDV.DLL is in ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

KBDUSL.DLL = Dvorak Left-Hand US English Keyboard Layout
See a pattern here yet?
KBDUSL.DLL is in ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

KBDUSR.DLL = Dvorak Right-Hand US English Keyboard Layout
KBDUSR.DLL is in ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Text Input DLL = Text Input DLL
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:0CcEe.36$3p2.15@trndny04,
Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
> Thank you again for trying to help me with this.
> I have everything you've listed, EXCEPT the Dvorak configuration... It's
> a mystery to me as to why it isn't in there...I'm wondering how I can get
> it into the system...
> I'll keep looking ...
> Thanks,
> Waldo
>
>
>> Hi Waldo,
>>
>> According to...
>> The Dvorak Keyboard -- a Primer
>> http://www.dvorak-keyboard.com/convert.html
>>
>> [[Dvorak has been built in to Microsoft Windows since version 3.0. ]]
>>

<snip>
July 23, 2005 6:44:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The answer is "Nope" to both questions.... It'd ironic that people who
have never heard, nor care about, the Dvorak keyboard have it sitting on
their computers, while I don't have a trace of it...lol
Is there someplace I can get the .dll's to install that you know of, or
is it more complicated than that...?
I have the install disk, but I have no idea as to how I can get those
dll's from it to the computer.
Waldo

> Hi Waldo,
>
> I haven't given up yet. :-)
>
> I did a search for dvorak in my registry and I found these entries.
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00010409] "Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
> "Layout Id"="0002"
> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00030409] "Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
> "Layout Id"="001A"
> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00040409] "Layout File"="KBDUSR.DLL"
> "Layout Id"="001B"
> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for right hand"
> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5028"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00010409] "Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
> "Layout Id"="0002"
> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00030409] "Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
> "Layout Id"="001A"
> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00010409]
> "Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
> "Layout Id"="0002"
> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00030409]
> "Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
> "Layout Id"="001A"
> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00040409]
> "Layout File"="KBDUSR.DLL"
> "Layout Id"="001B"
> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for right hand"
> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5028"
>
> Now, here's a question for ya, do you have any of those keys?
>
> Do you have any of the following files?
>
> KBDDV.DLL = Dvorak US English Keyboard Layout
> KBDDV.DLL is in ...
> C:\WINDOWS\system32
> and
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>
> KBDUSL.DLL = Dvorak Left-Hand US English Keyboard Layout
> See a pattern here yet?
> KBDUSL.DLL is in ...
> C:\WINDOWS\system32
> and
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>
> KBDUSR.DLL = Dvorak Right-Hand US English Keyboard Layout
> KBDUSR.DLL is in ...
> C:\WINDOWS\system32
> and
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>
> Text Input DLL = Text Input DLL
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:44:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Waldo,

Bear with me, I have no idea what might be wrong. I am winging this.
Hoping that someone who actually knows what might be wrong will jump in.

Moving right along...

Did you actually Search for Hidden files?

HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

Oops. input.dll = Text Input DLL. Not what I originally posted.

Make sure that you do a Search for Hidden files first.

If you still can't find the three dvorak dlls...

KBDDV.DLL, KBDUSL.DLL and KBDUSR.DLL are all three in the I386 folder on the
XP CD. And the good news is that they aren't even compressed. All you have
to do is copy all three to...
C:\WINDOWS\system32
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Check these out...

US-Dvorak Keyboard Layout
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/kbddv.htm

Windows Keyboard Layouts
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards....

Windows Keyboard Layouts Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/kbdfaq.m...

Alternative Keyboard Layouts
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/altkeyboard.as...

Select a Dvorak Keyboard Layout
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/keyb...

If all else fails...
The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D aiEe.71$S72.9@trndny06,
Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> hunted and pecked:
> The answer is "Nope" to both questions.... It'd ironic that people who
> have never heard, nor care about, the Dvorak keyboard have it sitting on
> their computers, while I don't have a trace of it...lol
> Is there someplace I can get the .dll's to install that you know of, or
> is it more complicated than that...?
> I have the install disk, but I have no idea as to how I can get those
> dll's from it to the computer.
> Waldo
>
>> Hi Waldo,
>>
>> I haven't given up yet. :-)
>>
>> I did a search for dvorak in my registry and I found these entries.
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00010409] "Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
>> "Layout Id"="0002"
>> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
>> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00030409] "Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
>> "Layout Id"="001A"
>> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
>> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00040409] "Layout File"="KBDUSR.DLL"
>> "Layout Id"="001B"
>> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for right hand"
>> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5028"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00010409] "Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
>> "Layout Id"="0002"
>> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
>> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00030409] "Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
>> "Layout Id"="001A"
>> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
>> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00010409]
>> "Layout File"="KBDDV.DLL"
>> "Layout Id"="0002"
>> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak"
>> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5092"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00030409]
>> "Layout File"="KBDUSL.DLL"
>> "Layout Id"="001A"
>> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for left hand"
>> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5027"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00040409]
>> "Layout File"="KBDUSR.DLL"
>> "Layout Id"="001B"
>> "Layout Text"="United States-Dvorak for right hand"
>> "Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5028"
>>
>> Now, here's a question for ya, do you have any of those keys?
>>
>> Do you have any of the following files?
>>
>> KBDDV.DLL = Dvorak US English Keyboard Layout
>> KBDDV.DLL is in ...
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32
>> and
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>>
>> KBDUSL.DLL = Dvorak Left-Hand US English Keyboard Layout
>> See a pattern here yet?
>> KBDUSL.DLL is in ...
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32
>> and
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>>
>> KBDUSR.DLL = Dvorak Right-Hand US English Keyboard Layout
>> KBDUSR.DLL is in ...
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32
>> and
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>>
>> Text Input DLL = Text Input DLL
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:51:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Waldo" <Waldo@yeahright.com> wrote in message
news:D aiEe.71$S72.9@trndny06...
> The answer is "Nope" to both questions.... It'd ironic that people who
> have never heard, nor care about, the Dvorak keyboard have it sitting on
> their computers, while I don't have a trace of it...lol
> Is there someplace I can get the .dll's to install that you know of, or
> is it more complicated than that...?
> I have the install disk, but I have no idea as to how I can get those
> dll's from it to the computer.
> Waldo
>
In my XP Pro install disk, the DLL's are in the I386 folder.
July 23, 2005 11:19:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Wes,
Not to beat a dead horse, but I noticed something interesting. When i
searched for the 3 dll's, I found only mention of them in various .inf
files that were found, but not the files, themselves.
When i looked(by eye) in the directory(WINDOWS/system32) I found
them...Curious thing is that they were in blue. As a matter of fact many
files on my computer seem to be in blue. I have no idea how that
happened, nor whether there is any significance in relation to the dvorak
situation. I copied the files from the disk to the System32 folder( I
have no folder called "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache". I overwrote the
dll's that were in there, but to no avail.
This is driving me crazy..I'm sure there is a simple explanation :-)
Btw, those other links you gave me look very useful, as soon as I get the
layout working. :-)
Thanks for your help, again...,
Waldo
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:19:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Waldo,

When you were using Search you used the Containing text window instead of
the Search for files and folders named window.

Compressed NTFS files are displayed in blue. Encrypted are displayed in
green. You either compressed them on purpose or used Disk Cleanup with the
Compress Old Files option.

Compress Old Files
[[Windows can compress files that you have not used recently. Compressing
files saves disk space, but you can still use the files. No files are
deleted. Because files are compressed at different rates, the displayed
amount of disk space that you will gain is approximate. An Options button
permits you to specify the number of days to wait before Disk Cleanup
compresses an unused file.]]

On my next post I am going to attach a zip file of the eight reg files that
I found in my registry. Before I do that, can you see attachments with
Xnews/5.04.25?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:gLwEe.2021$iR2.287@trndny02,
Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
> Not to beat a dead horse, but I noticed something interesting. When i
> searched for the 3 dll's, I found only mention of them in various .inf
> files that were found, but not the files, themselves.
> When i looked(by eye) in the directory(WINDOWS/system32) I found
> them...Curious thing is that they were in blue. As a matter of fact many
> files on my computer seem to be in blue. I have no idea how that
> happened, nor whether there is any significance in relation to the dvorak
> situation. I copied the files from the disk to the System32 folder( I
> have no folder called "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache". I overwrote the
> dll's that were in there, but to no avail.
> This is driving me crazy..I'm sure there is a simple explanation :-)
> Btw, those other links you gave me look very useful, as soon as I get the
> layout working. :-)
> Thanks for your help, again...,
> Waldo
July 24, 2005 1:42:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in
news:e636#U8jFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Hi Waldo,
>
> When you were using Search you used the Containing text window instead
> of the Search for files and folders named window.
Actually, I used the "advanced" setting, which takes away the "containg
text" box, so i did it correctly....

> Compressed NTFS files are displayed in blue. Encrypted are displayed
> in green. You either compressed them on purpose or used Disk Cleanup
> with the Compress Old Files option.

Ok. I probably did do that. I looked at the dll's and, sure enough, they
were compressed. I decompressed them, but that did not do anything.
I clicked on the Registry Library choice in the right-click menu, but I got
a message that it could not find an entry point(?)
I think that because I have no keyboard layouts in my registry, except for
US standard, this is why only US standard is showing up in my choices in
the control panel.....

This is the ONLY entry under Keyboard Layouts in the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000409
(Default) (value not set)
Layout Display Name = @%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5000
Layout File = kbdus.dll
Layout Text = US

> On my next post I am going to attach a zip file of the eight reg files
> that I found in my registry. Before I do that, can you see
> attachments with Xnews/5.04.25?

Yes, I can - at least in the binaries groups..as long as there's a link in
the main body.
I think that those reg keys should do the trick....

Waldo
July 26, 2005 6:42:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Wes,
You did it! I now have it working. I only had to put in the last three
keys (current control). It seems the other six are backups and I was
advised not to mess with them...If needs be, they will be created
automatically...Whew!...
I want you to know that I very much appreciate your patience and
determination in seeing this through...
If you're ever in Manhattan, drinks are on me :-)
Ciao,
Waldo

> Hi Waldo,
>
> There nine keys related to dvorak keyboard layout, not eight like I
> posted earlier.
>
> These are the keys...
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard> Layouts
\00010409 > Layouts\00030409
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00040409
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00010409
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00030409
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00040409
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00010409
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00030409
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
> Layouts\00040409
>
> Save the attachment dvoreg.zip, unzip dvoreg, Edit each one to look at
> them if you want. Then double click each*.reg file and click Yes or
> OK (I don't remember which) to merge into your registry.
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:35:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Waldo,

I am really happy to hear that. Keep having fun! :-)

Manhattan, Kansas? I've been there. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:zqhFe.6414$Sr2.1072@trndny03,
Waldo <Waldo@yeahright.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
> You did it! I now have it working. I only had to put in the last three
> keys (current control). It seems the other six are backups and I was
> advised not to mess with them...If needs be, they will be created
> automatically...Whew!...
> I want you to know that I very much appreciate your patience and
> determination in seeing this through...
> If you're ever in Manhattan, drinks are on me :-)
> Ciao,
> Waldo
>
>> Hi Waldo,
>>
>> There nine keys related to dvorak keyboard layout, not eight like I
>> posted earlier.
>>
>> These are the keys...
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard> Layouts
>> \00010409 > Layouts\00030409
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00040409
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00010409
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00030409
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00040409
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00010409
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00030409
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard
>> Layouts\00040409
>>
>> Save the attachment dvoreg.zip, unzip dvoreg, Edit each one to look at
>> them if you want. Then double click each*.reg file and click Yes or
>> OK (I don't remember which) to merge into your registry.
November 29, 2011 4:06:51 AM

I got the fix:
download the file KBDDV.DLL (from anywhere. I got mine from a DLL website). Install it to C:\windows\system32
should work now.
I use Dvorak Assist (dvassist.exe) to easily switch from dvorak to qwerty.

I ran into this problem in the first place because I installed a LITE version of windows XP onto a tablet computer. Dvorak was stripped from the OS. Simply download this DLL and you'll have it back.
!