Sign in with
Your question

All folders readonly

Last response: in Windows XP
May 15, 2010 3:02:49 AM

I had a probelm with my PC. Out of nowherre I had the message that the windows fails to lunch and will restart in 60 sec. I stopped the times but all the files and folders chnaged to "read only".
Moreover, I cannot connect to the internet, so I cannot update or upgrade or download files.

I cannot move, copy,..any file or folder...

Any Help

More about : folders readonly

May 15, 2010 6:00:51 AM

alqud1ma said:
I had a probelm with my PC. Out of nowherre I had the message that the windows fails to lunch and will restart in 60 sec. I stopped the times but all the files and folders chnaged to "read only".
Moreover, I cannot connect to the internet, so I cannot update or upgrade or download files.

Any Help

[#0005ff]You need to run the Attrib command so go Start then Run and type incmd then hit Enter. At the Command Prompt, type
attrib -r +s C:\ and hit Enter. If that doesn't do it for you, you'll have to run the same command for every affected folder so teh syntax will be the same as far as C:\ but after that you'll have to input the whole path to the folder concerned and then that folder name.

Therefore that command would then be attrib -r +s C:\Documents and Settings\{your username}etc\etc.
[/#000ff]
m
l
May 15, 2010 6:14:42 AM

alqud1ma said:

Any Help

Did you recently install any software in the computer? Uninstall that software. A. The first thing to try is a scan of your system using a high quality antivirus. A good antivirus program disk can be started from the CD drive before windows starts. Make sure the internet is connected. The disk can update, scan, and hopefully neutralize any malware. B. You can use system restore to try setting the system back to the last restore point, before the problem started. If that does not solve the problem:
C. I would personally reload the operating system using the original operating system disk, in repair mode, without reformatting the hard drive. Hopefully that would correct the corrupted operating system files. D. I have seen a lot of systems go bad lately after loading automatic updates for the operating system, I personally would shut off the automatic updates permanently, and recommend that all XP users do the same. I have seen 3 computers this month corrupted after an OS automatic update downloaded two XP and one Vista.
If you can back up your files before doing a repair install, this would be advisable, because there has also been a virus going around that prevents the repair install from working. The virus is a new version of iexploit. It removes files from the antivirus and disables the antivirus from functioning, disables internet, disables system restore. It's a really nasty virus, one of the worst I have ever seen.
In two cases I was able to remove the bad hard drive from the PC, install the bad hard drive on another functioning XP computer, use the functioning computer to scan the bad hard drive, copy the files off the bad hard drive to make a back up. Then I reformat the bad drive, reinstall the OS, put the backed up files back on the drive. Actually it's a lot of trouble but it works when nothing else will work. Like I said, it's a really bad virus. At least you can save your files using that method.
m
l
!