USB PCI Card's and USB ports on motherboards?

Ulty1985

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Hello. I have bought a Xbox 360 wireless receiver for my PC to use with my Xbox 360 controller. It requires a USB port and my mouse & keyboard are already connected into USB ports. Even though I have 4x ports in my motherboard, when I connect the receiver it shuts off power to the mouse.

After doing some research on forums, it turns out that the receiver is very "power hungry" and drains all of the power from the USB ports. I can get the mouse/keyboard/receiver all working if I disconnected them all and reconnect them, but I have to do that every time I turn on my PC and I will end up damaging the connections in the end. Also, when they are all connected my mouse gets a weird kind of "lag", which really bothers me.

Anyway I have seen the Belkin 5-Port USB 2.0 PCI Card and I was wondering if I bought it and connected the receiver into that instead, would I still get the same power problem? I'm guessing it's only to do with the USB ports and not my PC specs. My PC specs are:

Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.00GHz
Kingstonn HyperX 2Gb DDR2 PC6400 (800MHz)
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC2 640Mb
Western Digital Raptor 74Gb 10,000RPM
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1
Akasa Ultra Quiet 650W Power+ iQ Active PFC PSU
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Any help/advice will be appreciated, thanks!

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I can't guarantee it but it sounds like that may work. I'm surprised you didn't get any USB expansion cards with your motherboard, as most Asus mb's come with a USB and firewire card that just take up an expansion slot and then plug into the blue USB or red firewire sockets on the motherboard.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Quick reply: get a USB external multi port with a PS that connects to an AC outlet. That will ensure you have enough USB power. I use a Belkin with a AC adaptor. It's prolly the feedback circuits.