Recommend me a mobo

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
I have 4 1 gig sticks of Crucial Ballistics Tracer DDR2-800, will be getting a Q6600 and a 8800GTS, and have a IDE dvd burners and a Sata hard drive. I would like to run the Q6600 at 3 ghz so I will have to be able to adjust the FSB (hmm do all mobos allow this?). I dont know what you need to overclock past 3 but having that ability wouldnt be bad either. I was looking at the Asus P5KC for $140 on newegg but I looked at other companies and they seem to have almost the same board for cheaper. What would you recommend? I dont need any crazy features except the basics and I dont want to pay for the name. Thanks a lot guys, there are a lot of choices. Oh yeah dont care about SLI either but I would like the ability to get a dual slot card if they turn out to be decent in February.

rogue6

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Pretty much all of the Asus P5-series MBs are good for some overclocking, but I wouldn't skimp on the MB. I have the MSI P35 Platinum, also around $140 on newegg. I chose it on the recommendation from this very site for it's extreme OC'ing abilities, and wasn't dissappointed. It will easily get your cores past 3Ghz, but you'll probably have to get an aftermarket HSF for the CPU, as the quad-cores all run fairly hot when OC'd.

Ztoney

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I have never paid much attention to MSI boards. Will have to look into them a bit more. If looks count for anything though, thats one of the nicer cooling pipes i've seen.

ThepiliGrim

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Just go and take GA-P35-DS3R from GIGABYTE! I don't think you could be disappointed. Gigabyte's MoBos are among the best on the market and MORE IMPORTANT - you don't have to spend all your bugs on it!

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Hmm Newegg has open box P5K-E for a little under a hundred bucks. Im thinking I could save that 40 dollars and save $20 by getting an oem Q6600 and get a nice $60 cooler for the CPU.