-help OC'ing striker extreme and q6600 for med student

ok guys, i know i'm a douche for doing this; but i'm a med student that doesn't have much time to look around to learn how to OC nor to experiment with settings. I need my system to be stable so i can study and have my nightly 1 hour dose of CoD4/crysis. Could someone please help me and let me know what cpu/fsb/memory settings to use to maximize my performance?

I just want a mild overclock, 2.8 or so. I don't want too much noise or heat because money and procurement issues would prevent me from buying any new parts right now.

this is my system:
q6600 (old revision, i think b3)
striker extreme (old one)
4gb of corsair dominator DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
8800gtx
xfi
coolit freezone (i idle at 12C and game at 24C!)

i'm really confused about memory timings and what to set it at. wth is command rate? lol. i know there are threads on this, i looked around a little, but i couldnt find what i was looking for. seems everyone wants 3.2ghz or greater. i want reliability and a few more fps in my games (and honestly, to put that expensive cooler to use).

thanks for the help in advance guys. back to pathology for me now.
11 answers Last reply
More about help striker extreme q6600 student
  1. oh, btw:
    vista 64

and.. i'm the type of person that leaves his system running 24/7
  2. Here is the easy way. Set your FSB to 333 from 266. That = 3.0ghz without any voltage changes. DDR2-1066 will allow higher clocks, but this is the easy one.
  3. what rubix said
  4. thanks guys, i'll try it tonight after class.
  5. Be a tad cautious with the Freezone. If your comp is left on for a long time with cpu stressing progs it will gradually increase in temp. Well at least mine did.

The TEC is just enough for a dual CPU, but i've found it has slightly less thermal performance than a TRUE with a good fan. With it running a quad I'd personally watch the temps like a hawk for the first day of running it, to see if it's up to the task.
  6. While you're at it, monitor the vidcard temps as well. Run 3dmark06 on loop and leave it there for an hour or so.
  7. ok guys! thanks for the advice. i'm going to try the fsb thing later tonight.
    yeah, i've read that about the freezone. i'll keep an eye on it.

-thanks again guys.
  8. melt?...joke?
  9. well, thats some hot water.
  10. whoah, no way. melting point of that plastic has to be far beyond 100C and water boils at 100C. ..then again, is it water in there? maybe some glycol mix but i doubt it. have a link to that thread?
  11. I use shark blood in my water cooling unit, so i don't know.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Striker Extreme Overclocking