Sign in with
Your question

Having to allow access to RealTemp and PrecisionX every time?

Tags:
Last response: in Applications
February 18, 2013 11:17:56 PM

First of all, I am a complete noob to this site so please forgive me for any nooblike behavior...

Anyway, I just finished my first custom build yesterday. I immediately downloaded RealTemp and EVGA PrecisionX to monitor my CPU and GPU temps. I can use them fine, but every time I try to open either of the applications a window titled "User Account Control" appears with the dialogue "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" and I have to manually approve the application every time to get it working. The apps do run fine, but it's an irritating extra step to take every time I want to open them up. Anyone have a workaround to this problem? Any suggestions are much appreciated :D 
February 18, 2013 11:18:35 PM

Oh, and I am on Windows 8, if that changes anything..
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2013 9:55:53 AM

Thanks, although I don't usually run the programs at startup I guess this way I won't need to allow them every time. So there's no way to set my preferences to always allow the programs to run, regardless of whether it's at startup or not?
m
l
February 23, 2013 11:02:54 AM

I just tried that, followed every step exactly as written (making necessary changes to fit W8 of course), and now RealTemp won't open at all unless I right click and select "Run as administrator." If I try to run it as usual an error window pops up that says "Driver not loaded." I deleted the database files and uninstalled Windows Compatibility Tool, but it still won't open.....guess it's time to reinstall RealTemp *sigh*

Why does this (UAC problem) happen? Is this some kind of compatibility issue with Windows 8? Or does this always occur even on different OS's, because programs always need permission to access internal sensors?
m
l
February 23, 2013 11:10:00 AM

I'm sorry that caused problems for you. You should probably uninstall the database you created before going further.

UAC is basically there to stop malware doing nasty things, but it would be nice if there were a simple way to disable it for individual programs. On the other hand, it's just one more mouse click s doesn't really bother me.
m
l
February 27, 2013 8:19:02 AM

I completely agree....and yes I guess that's true, I can live with it if there aren't any simple working options. Thanks for at least trying to help!
m
l
!