Sign in with
Your question

First Build - Retail Heatsink Fan - Seated correctly?

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2007 1:58:33 AM

Hi,

I tried searching the forums but didn't see anyone else that had this issue, so I hope this isn't a duplicate. I am attempting my first build, and have a retail core 2 duo with the included heatsink/fan. I followed the directions to mount it to the motherboard (evga nforce 630i matx). Strangely, only three of the plastic mounting screws seem totally secure. One is still connected but slightly loose (it giggles a little). I disconnected it and reseated it, this time putting down the one that was loose first. This connected fine. The last one (now the opposite corner) connected slightly loose. I believe that I installed the processor correctly (I would hope so, otherwise I'm sure I would have killed it when I put the plate down and locked it in).

Is this normal or could something about the fan or motherboard be defective?

Thanks for the help.

Chris
December 21, 2007 2:23:31 AM

Update - there's definitely something wrong somewhere. I can see that the fan is at a slight angle and really only three of the connectors are tight. Any recommendations for how I should correct this? I'm assuming that there's either something wrong with the fan, or the way that the socket was installed on the motherboard.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2007 2:53:59 AM

Well, are you starting all 4 screws before you tighten any of them? If you tighen one or more before getting them all started this can cause this problem. Also, start 1 and slightly tighten and go in an X pattern and slightly tighten them all until you get them all tightened evenly. This keeps you from "jacking" one corner and causing a seating problem.

If this doesnt help you need to remove the CPU, (actually remove it in the 1st step) and reseat it to make sure that you have it correctly seated and then tighten the screws as suggested above.

Remember! Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy! ;) 

This should fix the problem...
Related resources
December 21, 2007 3:07:22 AM

Er, it's the damn push pin install, not with spring screws.

OP: You need to make sure all the arrows are pointed towards the locked position and that the the pins are fully extended before you push in. Here's what to do: Unlock the pins and remove the HSF, extend all of the pins if necessary, turn the arrow to the locked position, and then reinstall.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2007 3:31:04 AM

775 socket? Do the Core 2 Duo CPUs have a different installation method than say a P4 Presler? I have not purchased the Core 2 Duo series Intel CPUs, only the AM2 CPUs.

My Media Center System is the 940 3.2 Intel Presler CPU and I am using that as a reference...

If you have the back plate that goes on the rear of the motherboard it could be the screw in type. Im sure theres several types out there so Im sure either way could be right.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2007 4:52:53 AM

Are you installing the heatsink with the Mobo out of the case? You can check the pin locks on the bottom. The pin needs (all 4) to be sticking out of the side peices on the bottom. Keep trying, but do it with the Mobo in your hands, not in the case.
December 21, 2007 11:48:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

This is a push pin install. I did carefully make sure that all were in the locked position before starting it. I've checked the cpu and it seems to be seated correctly (it doesn't seem that there would be a way for it to miss with it fitting snuggly in the slot provided... I'm also assuming that I shouldn't feel any resistance when I push it in, although there was some resistance when I put the load plate down)

I also mounted the fan when the board was off of the motherboard tray on a flat surface.

I will try again with each of the pins fully lowered before I start, but I believe that's how I've been starting it. Does it make a difference if they're not fully lowered?

Here's the real kicker though. Last night I was looking at it and noticed that with the three pushed in the board was actually down toward the motherboard tray because of the pressure on it. I didn't want to leave it like that, so I released one of the push pins and it basically sprung back out. It seems to me that this is too much tension.

This is my first build so I can't compare this to what is should be normally.
December 21, 2007 1:59:05 PM

Ok, I placed the pins each down fully and put each into the board before pressing down on them. I got three in, and the fourth went in hard. At first I thought that this worked and then realized that one of the other pins had popped out.

Screws sound really appealing right now...
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2007 10:50:02 AM

Doesn't sound like it should be that hard to install. Something could be defective. If you got it locally I'd take it back and see if they will swap with you for another one.

RMA otherwise. Get a credit and stop into a local store and get another. If your like me at that point I don't want to wait a week and a half for a replacement.
December 22, 2007 9:09:11 PM

When you pushed them in did you hear a click? It's a pretty faint click and it's audible nonetheless. Then try pulling it out: if it pops out, turn the arrow and try again.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2007 9:36:03 PM

Turn each counter-clockwise, away from the direction of the arrow. That is the lock position. I am concerned you may be doing this backwards. With arrow, release. Against arrow-lock.

Turn them into lock position first then push them down.

If they are in release position they will still snap down but one will always snap back out.
December 23, 2007 7:02:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. I did check to make sure that they were in the locked position before pushing them down. I sent an e-mail to evga starting the rma process, they wanted to see pictures of the board to see what I meant, so I'll send those in and perhaps rma the board. Meanwhile, I'm noticing that there are others who are having problems with these push pins as well, I had thought I might change from stock anyway to get one that's quieter. Anyone have good experience with fans with a more flexible installation procedure?

I'm not going to attempt to put down the pushpins again, unless someone tells me that it's totally normal for the motherboard to warp under the stress... (see above post) I can't believe that would be the case.
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2007 7:30:46 AM

Is it always the same pin that pops back out or does that vary depending on the sequence you pushed them in?

Yes, they are so tight the MOBO warps. This does sound crazy, I know, I can only assume the once the motherboard is screwed down on the chassis floor this will not be a problem..

I can only tell you that I had the exact same problem, three would go down but when I put in the fourth, one would pop back out - in my case it did turn out to be that the screws were not turned all the way into lock position. This is why I harped on it so much above. Who would know to turn those screws in the opposite direction of the arrow to lock them? Read the directions, right? In my defense I had an aftermarket sink with crappy directions.

Naturally you also want each pin to be fully pulled out, i.e. extended, before pushing down on it. It also may help to push them down in the sequence 1, 3, 2, 4.

I'd also try it after screwing down the MOBO to the case floor, just in case the warping is so extreme it's forcing the pins out.

Thing is, the pins are so darn tight when locked that it is hard to imagine them popping out unless something, somewhere is wrong.

After the fourth pin has popped out - what condition is it in, locked, unlocked, extended or not? In other words is the pin itself is malfunctioning or does it seem the hole is just to big to hold it, or what? Will it push down and lock perfectly when you are testing it by itself, not on the mobo, such that you cannot pull it back by hand without turning back to release position?
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2007 1:49:46 PM

Quote:
I will try again with each of the pins fully lowered before I start, but I believe that's how I've been starting it. Does it make a difference if they're not fully lowered?

OK, now it all makes sense. Please read carefully:

You start the pins fully extended! Not lowered. The misunderstanding is in this 'locking position'. This does not mean to lower the pins ahead of time. It refers to the BLACK PIN TOPS which screw either right or left. Look close, there is an arrow pictured on top of the black pin. First extend the pins (you may have to put the arrows in release position if they are currently locked, do this by turning with the arrow direction) then turn that pin all the way opposite to the direction indicated by the arrow, push them through and you're done.
August 15, 2008 5:31:51 AM

Hello all respected members!

@notherdude
did u sort out the mobo bending thing? mine is still warping after installing the HSF and securing the mobo with the chassis, it doesn't seems that i'll be able to install any aftermarket cooler in the future b/c the mobo will be so curved that it won't accept any cooler other than the stock ones...
!