Overclocking E6750 Help

xbadwolfx

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
This will be my first time overclocking a CPU. I already overclocked my graphic card. Here are my specs.

Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3L
Intel Core 2 duo E6750
4GB gskill ddr2 6400 memory

I am very skeptical about this, I am trying to push my CPU far without going over the edge. I heard some people got theirs to over 3.5ghz.

Mondoman

Splendid
And your question is?

PS - chances are your system will also need a CPU cooler, a power supply, a video card, a hard drive, an optical drive, and video monitor to work correctly... ;)

xbadwolfx

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007

I'm trying to find out how to safely overclock. Do I only have to raise the FSB, Multiplier and vCore?

Also, please don't treat me like a retard, It's just that I have never overclocked a CPU. I don't appreciate being disrespected for no reason. ;)

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
for ocing, the most you can do is raise the fsb, as you cannot increase the multiplier unless you are running a core2extreme processor. There are many bios tweaks that cannot fit in my post, although you could probably find the information you require just by searching for some ocing guides according to your motherboard. And as for you hearing about ppl that run the e6750 @ 3.5ghz+, they have the appropriate memory and mobo that can handle that fsb.

infotech2112

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
FWIW I was runiing an E6750 at 3.6 GHz with the same mainboard.
That was about the limit I could get out of it.
I started out with 2X2GB GSkill DDR2 PC 8500
and then 2X1 GB Patriot DDR2 PC9600.

Mondoman

Splendid

No retardation implied -- it's just that you only listed a few items in your "specs" when you need to list the model numbers of everything in your system to help give us an idea of your setup. It'll also help a lot if you could clarify your meaning of "safely" OCing. If you need pretty much absolute assurance that the CPU won't be damaged and that wrong calculations won't be made, then OCing is not for you. Otherwise, good first steps are to download various "standard" tools, including:
1) memtest86+ (basic memory test, any errors during an overnight run indicate a problem)
2) Orthos (or similar Prime95 variant setup to automatically test multiple cores), to be run in both "small FFT" and "blend" modes.
3) CPU/system ID/setting reporting tools such as CPU-Z (this will also help you figure out your CPU VID).
4) Temperature reporting tools such as coretemp.

Also, realize that your CPU does not have the best OC potential because of its 1333MHz FSB. Briefly, how fast you can OC the *core* of the CPU depends mostly on the design of the CPU; with 65nm Core2Duo CPUs like yours that *core* potential is probably in the 3-3.5GHz range without heroic efforts. However, the circuitry involved with the FSB places another limit on OCing potential, and this involves the MB design and RAM as well. Running the FSB up to 1333MHz shouldn't be a problem on any recent MB, as they were designed for that speed, but running faster than that could cause problems. You have an excellent-quality MB, so this risk is lessened. However, your CPU has a native 1333MHz FSB, so OCing it (which involves increasing the FSB further) may run into FSB/RAM related OC limits even if your CPU *core* could otherwise handle the speed.
That's why CPUs with 800MHz or even 1066MHz native FSBs are better OC candidates, as OCing them to a 1333MHz FSB (a 66% or 25% core speed increase, respectively) should avoid FSB/RAM issues.