• Configuration
  • Wireless
  • Security
  • Ethernet Card
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 18, 2009 11:00:12 PM

Hi,
I currently have a wireless USB broadband modem from '3'.They also have a WiFi Router (D100) which is compatible with their USB modem.

I have Gigabit LAN on Motherboard (LOM)which can provide 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet connection on my desktop PC.

I am not sure what Security level is present on this (LOM) Ethernet adapter ie.WEP/WPA/WPA-PSK/WPA2/WPA2-PSK ?

Also what Encryption level does it support ie.AES / TKIP etc. ?

If I set WPA2-PSK Security level and AES Encryption level on the D100 WiFi Router together with any Firewall settings,MAC Address Filtering settings and ANY other security settings available, IF I HAVE A HARDWIRED CONNECTION FROM (LAN) PORT ON MY DESKTOP TO ETHERNET PORT ON ROUTER USING ETHERNET CABLE PROVIDED WOULD I GET ALL THE SECURITY FEATURES AND SETTINGS DESCRIBED ABOVE ?

HOW DO I KNOW THAT I AM GETTING ALL THE PROTECTION FROM THE SECURITY FEATURES CONFIGURED ?

DO I NEED TO HAVE A WIRELESS ADAPTER CARD IN MY PC TO COMMUNICATE WIRELESSLY WITH MY ROUTER ?

DOES THIS ENSURE THAT I WILL HAVE ALL THE WIRELESS SECURITY PROTECTION THAT HAS BEEN CONFIGURED ?

Regards
Anand

More about : wireless networking security issues

March 22, 2009 11:53:50 AM

The answer to your "How do I know wireless security is configured" question is if you don't properly configure those security stuffs between wifi rotuer and wifi card, it won't work in the first place. If it works, then they are configured. Being said that, make sure on your wifi router, only one security feature is configured at a time, no fall-back mechanism, to test one feature at a time. For i.e WPA2-PSK with AES as encrption only available; not like if AES isn't supported in client, then fall back to WEP/RC4, etc.

For your wired connection, you don't need any of those wireless security stuffs
March 23, 2009 3:27:13 AM

JustAGuy51 said:
The answer to your "How do I know wireless security is configured" question is if you don't properly configure those security stuffs between wifi rotuer and wifi card, it won't work in the first place. If it works, then they are configured. Being said that, make sure on your wifi router, only one security feature is configured at a time, no fall-back mechanism, to test one feature at a time. For i.e WPA2-PSK with AES as encrption only available; not like if AES isn't supported in client, then fall back to WEP/RC4, etc.

For your wired connection, you don't need any of those wireless security stuffs

Thank you (JustaGuy51) for your prompt email reply.

I probably did not know how to put it more clearly but myquery still remains :-

(1) I do all these various security settings (ie. WPA2-PSK with AES Encryption level) which is operational if I have a wireless adapter card in my desktop communicating wirelessly to my WiFi Router.

AS YOU SAID I DON'T NEED ANY OF THE WIRELESS SECURITY STUFF.

IF I HAVE THE ROUTER HARDWIRED TO MY DESKTOP VIA ETHERNET CABLE WHAT IS ACTUALLY GIVING ME THE SAME SECURITY LEVEL AND ENCRYPTION LEVEL PROTECTION INDICATED ABOVE ???

AM I GETTING ANY FIREWALL PROTECTION ???

ANY MAC ADDRESS FILTERING PROTECTION ???

SO THE USE OF THE WIRELESS PROTECTION IS ONLY APPLICABLE FOR ANY OTHER PC'S COMMUNICATING WIRELESSLY WITH MY ROUTER ?

Regards
Anand
March 23, 2009 6:54:01 AM

anand rao said:
Thank you (JustaGuy51) for your prompt email reply.
IF I HAVE THE ROUTER HARDWIRED TO MY DESKTOP VIA ETHERNET CABLE WHAT IS ACTUALLY GIVING ME THE SAME SECURITY LEVEL AND ENCRYPTION LEVEL PROTECTION INDICATED ABOVE ???

Wired connections are different and more secure by default since attacker need to have physical access to attack.

said:

You are not unless you configure firewall rules at the router. AND you are in the wrong context: firewalls are supposed to prevent Internet from accessing internal network.

said:

You need to enable it in Wifi admin pages.

SO THE USE OF THE WIRELESS PROTECTION IS ONLY APPLICABLE FOR ANY OTHER PC'S COMMUNICATING WIRELESSLY WITH MY ROUTER ?
said:

Yes.

!