Sign in with
Your question

Audio latency problem with P35-DS3R

Last response: in Motherboards
January 10, 2008 2:21:47 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some help on a problem I'm having with my Gigabyte P35-DS3R. I use my computer for audio production, and consequently need excellent audio performance.

There is a program called DPC_latency checker, (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml), that checks how well one's computer can handle real-time streams, such as realtime audio or realtime video. When I run the program on my computer, I get periodic spikes every 5 seconds or so which spike up to about 600us. Even though this number is within the program's acceptable limit, it is no good when I'm trying to run my audio applications at extremely low latency, as the problem gets worse as the CPU gets loaded, and I start to hear little audio pops and clicks.

I've tried disabling every possible device (including the soundcard) and stopped every service from MSCONFIG, but the problem persists. I'm almost sure it is not caused by my soundcard, which is a pci RME9652.

Another interesting thing that happens is the problem gets worse if I change the motherboard BIOS from f9 to f10. My latencies go up to 750us with f10.

I had my friend run this little program on his Asus P5K and he gets latencies of ~30us, which is what I would expect from a modern motherboard/CPU. I've also tried using a Q6600 (I have a e6750), and the problem is worse - I get ~760us. This seems suspiciously proportional to the decrease in fsb speed.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight to share, and if anyone can try running the program on their computer and posting the results. I'm in contact with Gigabyte, but so far they refuse to try to duplicate my problem and instead are trying to tell me that it's my setup.

Thanks!
Erik
January 10, 2008 2:27:23 PM

Oh yes, my computer config is:

Gigabyte p35-ds3r
Intel e6750
2GB ddRII 800mhz
nvidia quadro fx550
dual monitors ( 1x dell 2560x1600, 1x samsung 1920x1200)
Seagate 500gb SATA
rme hdsp9652 sound
Windows XP home
1 ide DVD burner, 1 SATA DVD burner
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 10, 2008 3:23:07 PM

What are your temps? Is the chipset getting toasty? Have you reset your BIOS to defaults, especially after flashing it to another version?
Related resources
January 10, 2008 4:32:02 PM

Temps are normal. Everything is running at stock frequencies. I've tried BIOS revisions F6, F7, F8, F9, and F10. All are the same, except for F10, which is worse than all the others.
January 11, 2008 3:34:43 PM

You could try the latest F11 bios. The changelog is:
1. Added new super I/O code
2. eliminated memory adress bug

maybe it helps.. the bios is released jan.9.2008
January 11, 2008 4:06:47 PM

hehe, nevermind. updated my bios and went from 880us to 1150us maximum... Not exactly an improvement I guess..
January 12, 2008 1:55:25 AM

wow.... 1150us is really bad especially considering the Asus board did 30us. I think I'll stick with F6! (or maybe I should try F1 and it will be better???)

Gigabyte thus far has still not confirmed that they think this is an issue. I guess most users wouldn't notice this type of problem, so they are choosing to fix other bugs.

Has anyone else measured their system?
January 12, 2008 1:15:28 PM

I've doing some more searching on this subject and found a german gigabyte forum. it contains a thread with the exact same problem. a lot of people are experiencing this.

here is a google translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2F62...

(I know it's hard reading, but it's easier that german ;)  )

I think these spikes are my main cause for my creative audio card to crackle. I'm having there spikes on my p35-ds3 and p35-ds3r.

Maybe trying F1 bios ins't a bad idea.. could you try that estauber?
January 12, 2008 4:24:59 PM

Success!

I tried F2,F3,and F4, and the problem goes away with all of them. So whatever Gigabyte did between F4 and F6 (F5 isn't available), that was when they broke something.

Thanks for the link to the German post. I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one with this problem. I should have enough ammunition now to write Gigabyte and convince them that they've got a problem. I would like to be able to continue to use Gigabyte boards - I like them otherwise.

Thanks for the help, janwillem!
January 12, 2008 4:52:52 PM

YES!! SUCCES HERE AS WELL!!

I have the P35-DS3 (non-R) and was experiencing these kind of DPC spikes:

Above picture is with the F11 bios.

Changed the bios to F4 and got these results:

So, estauber! way to go for us!! mny thnx for your effort! I have a P35-DS3R with a lot of audio crackling and haven't tried updating a f4 version of the bios yet. Are your audio cracks gone now?
January 12, 2008 5:54:56 PM

yes, much better! I hope that solves your problems

And yes, I can now run reliably at 128 samples (3ms) on my m-audio profire lightbridge - and I'm going to test my other computer once I go to the studio later today (same motherboard, but with a Q6600 and a RME HDSP9652 PCI sound card). I'm expecting I'll be able to go to even lower latencies with that since RME has written the driver to go all the way down to 32 samples (0.7ms) - that's really low! I'll post the result tonight.

Thanks again for the help!
January 13, 2008 12:46:20 AM

OK, measured my system with the Q6600 and RME HDSP9652:

Wow - it works all the way down to 0.7ms without any popping. The BIOS made a huge difference. It barely worked at all before with F6

January 19, 2008 7:14:19 PM

I have a P35c-DS3R rev 1 motherboard. I'm getting the DPC spikes which make Cubase unuseable. I reverted to the F4 BIOS and the spikes went down a bit but are still hitting 1000us and up regularly and Cubase is still popping. Next I tried BIOS F2 (F3 is not available) and the spikes went way down to where they normally stay at 30us but every minute or so I still get a smike around 500us.

I've disabled everything else I can. Anyone have succes eliminating the spikes with the P35C motherboard? On my old ASROCK motherboard I always ran at .6 latency without any pops and I did a major upgrade to a Q6600 and fast RAM but the DPC spikes are killing it.

best!
Paul
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2008 11:00:18 PM

Here are my results on a P35-DS3L:
January 31, 2008 11:09:18 PM

I wonder if Gigabyte is working on a fix for the future BIOS revisions for this DPC spiking problem. I found the F1 BIOS works best for me with latencies usually below 12us which is great for Cubase. I did however notice that when I open CPUID that I get the spikes again which tells me whatever BIOS calls CPUID is making is triggering the problem.

It strange that later BIOS versions are getting progressively worse when Gigabyte only reports basic fixes for each version.

March 5, 2008 4:03:16 PM

On my P35-DS3R Rev. 1, the problem was solved by going from F11 back to F5 (original BIOS that came with the board). F11 added a High Precision Event Timer in the system devices, so maybe that's the source of this latency issue...

Maybe someone could try disabling the High Precision Event Timer to see if it fixes the problem. I can upload F5 later if anyone would like to try it. BTW, I also had higher NB temps with F11 for some reason.
March 11, 2008 7:27:49 PM

I've been trying for months now to get Gigabyte to fix this issue - I finally made it past the tech support, who said they'd forward my issue to the BIOS team, but still no response.

I've since started using Asus boards, and they don't show this bug.
April 12, 2008 10:32:14 PM

OK, so I have an EP35-DS3P and after reading your post, I decided to check my latency. When I first started DPC latency checker, I was regularly having spikes in the 4000-8000us range with an "Absolute Maximum" btwn 50000-60000us!!! Somehow, I noticed that it seemed to be related to the voltage/speedstepping done by the "Dynamic Energy Saver" software I had running. As soon as I stopped it, I got one last spike around 60000us, and then it came down closer to the ranges you're talking about.

Thinking there might be more "enhancements" like this in the BIOS, I checked through and found that the only thing that made any real difference was disabling "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology." Disabling it finally got me to where you started - btwn 500-1000us.

Hoping I could further reduce my latency, I tried your solution of flashing older BIOS versions, but for my mobo, there are only three versions, not 11. The board shipped with F2, and neither F3 or F1 made any noticeable difference in latency.

Ultimately, I don't think latency will be a huge deal for me, but it sure would be nice to figure out the problem! For now, I'll just hope Gigabyte starts taking notice and be jealous that your mobo "goes to 11." :pt1cable: 
April 15, 2008 6:01:56 AM

I have an EP35-DS3R revision 2.1 with this problem. It has audio dropouts/glitches/pops roughly every 5 seconds in all applications. After reading this thread I checked with DPC Latency Checker and sure enough there are latency spikes of > 26000us every 5 to 6 seconds. Every now and then the spikes will stop for 30 seconds or so but start up again.

Like HoratioHB says there are currently only two versions of BIOS for this motherboard, so I reverted to F1. At first, no difference, but then I unplugged my external eSATA backup drive. THAT FIXED IT!!! Zero spikes above 1000us and the audio became smooth.

I was happy until I noticed that I was having issues with my DTV tuner card and memtest started reporting errors on modules I know are good. So thinking the latency error was purely eSATA/SATA/RAID/AHCI related and not BIOS, I switched back to the F2 BIOS. Well that fixed the memtest errors, but the latency issue returned. @#*!

I am using the (yellow) Intel SATA ports for 2 Seagate 320GB hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration, 1 DVD reader, 1 DVD RW, and one eSATA port. The RAID setting automatically turns on AHCI which I highly suspect to be the culprit. The moment I disconnected the eSATA cable from my external Seagate Free Agent Pro backup drive, the latency problem disappeared, using the older BIOS. So, at least in my case, something about SATA/AHCI is part of the problem. The other part is related to the BIOS. The older version worked better than the new, even on the EP35 where there are only two versions.

I hope this info helps someone zero in on the problem and find a solution. I'll try to figure out how to communicate this to Gigabyte as well.
April 15, 2008 7:29:57 AM

Well the gigabyte BIOS team actually sent me a beta BIOS (12n), which at first I was quite excited about. I asked them exactly what the problem was and how they fixed it, and I got a short reply "we just used the old code". Not exactly very descriptive, and they still haven't released it after about a month.

Maddog2k - that'd be great if you could press Gigabyte to fix this properly.
April 15, 2008 1:26:58 PM

I just got a rev. 2.1 of this same mobo - it shipped w/ F2 - there's F3 on their web site, but they say it's a beta. I haven't done my XP reinstall yet, so no data from me, but I'll keep watching this thread as I've got pretty sensitive ears.

related(?) note - I built an older system w/ an old gigabyte mobo that did the same thing if you used a digital speaker output, the analog one worked tons better, so if you're using the coaxial output to feed a speaker system that takes analog or digital, try switching to analog.
April 16, 2008 2:10:35 AM

Another Gigabyte P35-DS4 revision 2.1 user with the IDENTICAL problem.

DPC latency monitor shows the same off-beat, 'staircase' type pattern:-

The mobo is paired up with a Q9450 2.66GHz CPU, which, because it's a new Yorkfield chip with 1333MHz FSB, cannot use BIOS revisions earlier than F9.

Full system specs:
* Intel Q9450 2.66GHz CPU
* Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 revision 2.1
* 2 x 1GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400 CAS4
* 512MB MSI nVidia-based NX8800GT Zilent graphics
* 2x500GB WD Caviar RE2 SATA-II drives
* Samsung SH-203P DVD-/+ Rewriter
* Mitsumi FDD with multi card reader.
* Corsair 520W HX PSU
* Windows XP + SP2.

I've put mine through the mill. That same pattern is there right after a clean Windows XP install (absolutely nothing else installed), and remains like that at any time onwards (after all chipset/graphics/LAN/audio etc drivers are installed, and after any of the usual XP tweaks are carried out).

Oddly, if I start the DPC monitor ASAP after the Windows desktop has booted up, the latencies are nice and low for a good few seconds before the spikage starts (as shown in the following screengrab), which may be important (before a certain Service is loaded/executed at startup)?

However, I've already disabled every non-critical Service, and disabled every non-critical device from Device Manager (including the usual ethernet/LAN, DVD-RW, onboard audio etc.) to no avail. Have even gone as far as completely disabling USB and firewire, and using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Also disabled System.ini and Win.ini from Windows startup.

Already contacted Gigabyte today (waiting for a response). The motherboard is still currently within its short 7-day RMA period too, so I've gotta move quick.
April 16, 2008 4:11:29 AM

Timo79,

I'd be VERY happy with the results you are getting. You should have smooth audio with that.

Here is what my Gigabyte EP35-DS3R rev 2.1 is currently doing....

Those big red spikes indicate delays long enough to cause the audio glitches - and most likely delay other processes as well, its just that the audio is easily noticed. It's not a subtle thing, you will hear the problem in any app that has sound. The audio will stutter every 5 to 6 seconds. It's extremely annoying and pretty much ruins games, movies, music, media center etc.

system specs:
* Intel E6750 2.66GHz
* Gigabyte EP35-DS3R rev 2.1
* BIOS F1 (also tried F2)
* 2 x 1GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-8500 C5, 5-5-5-15
* EVGA 8800GTX GPU
* 2 x 320GB Seagate SATA2 HDDs in RAID 0 config using the Intel ICH9R controller
* Asus DVD-E616A3T DVD-ROM, SATA
* Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1L, SATA
* ATI TV Wonder 650 HD Tuner/PVR
* Seagate 600GB FreeAgent Pro external (tried USB2.0 and eSATA)
* Corsair 620W HX PSU
* Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

April 16, 2008 1:11:26 PM

>>It's not a subtle thing, you will hear the problem in any app that has sound. The audio will stutter every 5 to 6 seconds.

Yes, I've noticed even when playing certain games it locks up occasionally and creates a "BRRRR" loop in the sound, but worse the graphics jerk every second making it unplayable (I'm specifcally referring to the game Wolfenstein Enemy Territory). Even gaming PING times are increased. The game Trackmania Nations initially seems to work ok, though.

The music production I'll be doing will be merciless. 1.5 millisecond latency (a buffer of 64 samples) on all 16in/out channels at 24-bit/44.1KHz via firewire (Motu Traveler) to closely integrate it with my hardware mixer (S/Craft Ghost) and external synths, as well as sequencing software synths, and processing incoming audio with VST effects in realtime, so I'd be happier knowing everything else was up to scratch to avoid limitations elsewhere in the system. I wont be able to test it under full load until I start a decent project with the new setup, which will be too late to RMA it if it's found not worthy due to the DPC spikes.

But if it's not even good for gaming, let alone music...

(PS > You have disabled ethernet/LAN, wifi, etc. via Device Manager? They are often a separate/additional cause for the dreaded spikes. Yours are terrible! See this thread: http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Num...)
April 17, 2008 6:23:53 PM

Moba said:
On my P35-DS3R Rev. 1, the problem was solved by going from F11 back to F5 (original BIOS that came with the board). F11 added a High Precision Event Timer in the system devices, so maybe that's the source of this latency issue...

Maybe someone could try disabling the High Precision Event Timer to see if it fixes the problem. I can upload F5 later if anyone would like to try it. BTW, I also had higher NB temps with F11 for some reason.

I would like to have your opinion on whether the F5 BIOS would work on a P35-DS4? I get DPC spikes about every 3 seconds right around 1000u while the others are around 250u and an occassioanl 500-600u.

Can you post this BIOS somewhere?

April 18, 2008 3:34:30 AM

I solved my severe latency issue for a second time, maybe this info will help others having similar problems.

As a reminder, I have the EP35-DS3R rev 2.1, Vista Ultimate and was getting audio dropouts/stutters/pops roughly every 5 or 6 seconds in all applications with audio. DPC Latency Checker confirmed big (> 40,000us) latency spikes at fairly regular intervals. Using Device Manager, I tried disabling every device I practically could and also tried disconnecting all USB peripherals, but none of those things helped.

The first time I "fixed" the problem, it happened when I downgraded my BIOS to version F1 and unplugged the eSATA connection to my external hard drive. As soon as I unplugged that connection, the spikes and the problem disappeared.

Blaming SATA/AHCI (which I still do), I switched back to BIOS F2, the latest non-beta BIOS for this motherboard, and the spikes returned. So I switched back to F1 but the spikes didn't go away that time. WTH?

After lots of beating my head against hard things, I decided to try moving my memory modules to different slots. While doing so, I noticed the power cable to my SATA DVD reader was not fully inserted. I guess it had gotten loose around the time I first reinstalled the F2 BIOS. As soon as I re-seated the DVD drive's power connector, the problem disappeared again.

I've now gone back to the F2 BIOS and the problem has not come back. DPC Checker shows the max latencies at 1000us, which still seems a little high, but its not enough to cause the audio problems anymore. Woo hoo!!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I know, I'm a dumbass for a loose cable to be the problem the second time, but I'm sharing the info anyway because both solutions point to issues with the SATA interface and/or devices connected to it.

To summarize: Check all the hardware you have plugged in to the Intel ICH9R SATA ports. Make sure they are getting power and all cables and connections are good. Don't assume. Try disconnecting non-essential devices or switching them to USB, Firewire or IDE if you have those options.

I am running 2 internal SATA harddrive drives in RAID mode (which automatically activates AHCI). All my drives are SATA, but I'm curious if people not running AHCI, like those with only IDE drives, are having the latency problems.

Despite these two fixes that worked in my situation, it seems clear that there is some deeper problem with latencies on Gigabyte boards. My much-improved results may still not be good enough for those doing high-precision work like recording/mixing etc. I hope someone smart can take all our info and figure out the root cause and solution.
April 18, 2008 3:50:35 PM

Update! Gigabyte personally issued me a fix, BIOS version F13b. I understand the "b" is beta, and not an official version. Just to recap, I have the GA-P35-DS4 revision 2.1 with an Intel Q9450 2.66GHz Yorkfield CPU.

Their words:

"Attached special bios is modified to support Q9450 and also keeping bios codes from F5 bios to avoid DPC issue."

So it's similar to what they've given others.

Whatever, it's fixed the problem completely.

XP 32-bit BIOS version F12:

XP 32-bit BIOS version F13b:

Anything from 4 microseconds to 22 at idle. I get an occasion lone spike at 129 microseconds every 15 seconds or so. But the average toggles between 5 and 12 microseconds.

I used a hard-wired PS/2 mouse for the above screengrab. My Microsoft wireless optical mouse was taking the latencies anything up to 42 microseconds whenever I moved it, but switching to a hardwired PS/2 mouse cut these latencies by half.

I've just emailed Gigabyte back to see if the new F13beta BIOS version is a universal update for all Intel Q9xxx and Q6xxx CPU users, but I suspect it's just version F5 with Q9xxx support.

But for now I've zipped and uploaded it for any other P35-DS4 users with specifically the Q9450.

http://www.gobo.dsl.pipex.com/data/Gigabyte_GA-P35-DS4_...

To use: extract to a floppy, reboot, and then flash the BIOS during the usual initial POST sequence (I had to hold down "End" to access the BIOS flash menu).

Now on to Vista-64...

This is what I was getting using BIOS F12 in Vista64 after a clean install (with chipset and graphics drivers only. I haven't updated Vista-64 via Microsoft Update yet, because Vista wont "see" my ruddy USB Modem even though the modem has genuine 64-bit drivers! Gah!):

... basically a mirror image of what was seen in XP-32.

Opening a few windows sent it wappy, though:

Now Vista64 with new BIOS version F13b:-

When it's all settled down (there's absolutely loads of spikes when the OS has first loaded up), and without optimising anything other than disabling ethernet, I get average of 59 microseconds. It oscillates tightly between 57 and 60 microseconds, apart from random spikes (anything up to 5000 microseconds):

Disabling Aero barely affected the values. However I went the whole hog and disabled ALL fancy frills, setting processor scheduling to Background services, etc., but then...

.. Disabling my Samsung SH-S203P DVD-RW drive (via Device Manager) took the average down to 29 microseconds:

Still get spikes when changing windows and stuff, though:

... these can be anything up to 5000 microseconds, as mentioned, and can last a second or two.

But still pretty surprised Vista got down that far, on the whole. I haven't even updated it yet, or installed SP1, etc.

All my tests/screegrabs were when the systems (XP-32 and Vista-64) were IDLE. I don't have any projects to test it as yet, as up until now I've generally been more hardware based, with a little bit of software. I can now work to integrating all my hardware with my computer, and get my hands more dirty with the software side of things.
April 26, 2008 3:49:39 AM

Thanks Maddog!

I was getting the same issue - a huge spike every 4-5 seconds and hadn't made any headway over several days and several BIOS changes (and numerous google searches). After I read your post I unplugged all my optical drives and eSATA connections from the board and the problem went away. Plugged them all back in, and the problem came back. Realized that I had an eSATA cable connected to one of the ports on the back but not connected to any drive. I pulled that off and the problem was gone instantly.

As far as BIOS files go, Gigabyte gave me the F3f beta bios for my EP35-DS3R and it did clean up the latency in general, but the real fix was the stupid eSATA cable.

Cheers...
April 26, 2008 8:37:51 PM

Creepster, so would you still recommend getting this board?

I just ordered a Q6600 and I was really planning on pairing it with a EP35 DS3R but after reading this thread im really having second thoughts. Im trying to hit 3.6ghz, and ill be cooling with a TRUE120.

Ive just read alot of people with the gigabyte boards hit 3.6 more than those with the ip35 pro who typically get ~3.3
April 28, 2008 7:36:55 PM

err ... same here with ga-p35-s3g rev1. bios f1. on a brand new machine.

it crashes every other time i try to play any game. sometimes on video too. the crash always starts with sound stuttering. can only be removed with restart. otherwise the system is stable.

used the latency checker and suddenly it went from 100-500 to 16000us with a record of 42000us.

go figure ... new bios maybe? broken ram/graphics/mobo?? (drivers shuldn't be the issue)

May 3, 2008 4:51:01 PM

First post, GAEP35-DS3R (F2 BIOS) owner here with same latency problem. Just emailed Gigabyte about it, hope to hear from them soon. Thanks to all here posting info!
May 3, 2008 5:15:03 PM

Disconnecting the external SATA didn't help me at all. All I have is the F2 BIOS to play with, the others on the Gagabyte web site for ver 2.1 motherboard don't fix the problem according to past posts.
May 9, 2008 6:44:10 PM

I updated my P35-DS3R rev. 1 to bios version 1.12f last week and the issue is still there i.e. audio (with VST plugins) and video playback stutters if I do anything else on the box, like opening another program (Q6600, 4GB, M-Audio Delta). I didn't even try recording anything at this point - if I can't get acceptable playback, how can I expect to record on multiple tracks with plugins, VST intruments etc.

Anyway, I'm back to F5 - it spikes according to DPCLatency, but it works for me. Only problem with F5 is that the CPU fan speed is low (800 RPM vs 1300 RPM on F11/F12).

I'll email support, but I'm not holding my breath - this board is getting hard to find new :-/
May 11, 2008 7:49:14 PM

Problem fixed! I've updated my BIOS to F3g (from Gigabyte, you must ask) and normal latency is now 5us. Also found I had a problem with Nero Scout, which I disabled. If you have Nero, you should check this!
I'm up on XP-SP3 this morning and so far so good.
May 28, 2008 2:36:15 PM

Hmm I have the EP-35-DS3P and it was fine until I unplugged my Plantronics USB Headset and plugged in a Cyber Snipa Sonar USB headset. Tried uninstalling the driver and headset and plugged in my Old Headset and NOW IT SKIPS on EVERYTHING...
May 28, 2008 8:18:51 PM

For those with the same issue. I had an ESATA external drive plugged in but powered off, I unplugged it and the problem went away!
June 3, 2008 10:45:46 AM

I read this thread and got a bit ahead of myself, installing an F4 BIOS on a P35 DS3R Rev 2.1 board. Now my computer won't boot up. Just restarts every couple seconds. If anyone's had this problem, or knows how to fix it, I've started a separate thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250253-30-ds3r-bios-r...
June 29, 2008 1:37:45 PM

I have a permanent fix for the P35 DS3R Rev. 1.

I upgraded to bios F12j (F5 and F12h gave similar results). Unfortunately, I was still getting nasty DPC latency spikes using these at first (up to 8000+), although much smoother than F11 and workable for audio work.

Then I upgraded my Nvidia drivers to Forceware 177.35 and all hell broke loose. I had weird DPC spikes every few seconds. I got suspicious, and tested Forceware versions from 167.** to 177.** - and found a fix. The recently pulled Forceware 175.19 solved ALL the DPC latency spikes on my system. These drivers were pulled because of poor benchmarks, but I can confirm that all DPC latency spikes are gone, even under load!!

Before, opening and closing programs or maximizing a window would cause spikes - all gone now.

I will post this on the official Gigabyte forums.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-motherboards-dpc-la...

Edit: After 24 hours, the spikes returned - no idea why - sigh
July 9, 2008 9:46:46 AM

I posted earlier about having these problems and tried rolling back to the F4 BIOS. I should warm people that if you're using the DS3R 2.1, don't do that. Anything before F9 or F10 won't work on the board. I had to RMA the board and now it's back to F12f, but is still having latency problems. I'm watching the DPC tester right now, and it has 7 second cycles-

1s - 800
2s - 40
3s - 250
4s through 7s - 40

When I play Counter Strike or EvE Online, latency will eventually get up to 4,002,220. Yeah, 4 million. I have to hard boot my computer at this point because it becomes all but non-responsive. I've been researching this problem for well over a couple weeks and Gigabyte has still not gotten back to me with the Beta F13 BIOS. I saw someone uploaded the F13 BIOS for the DS4 boards, does anyone possibly have it already for the DS3R (Rev. 2.1) board? Given Gigabyte's complete lack of timely responses (not the first tme, either), I'm really hoping someone can help me out here.

I've tried just about everything that has been suggested in over a dozen different threads on this topic, but if you still have questions, just ask, I'll be watching this thread for any replies. It's been the most informative thread by far, so I'm hoping it will pay off again.
November 24, 2008 12:27:17 PM

I want to thank Maddog,

This issue was drinving me crazy om an Asus P5K-Pro board (also P35). Reading your post it all made sense. I disconnected the power from my DVD-RW drive and since then everything went wrong. Just like a lot of peaple I have been searching the web for an awnser for days. The solution is so simple... You don't want to know wat I already tried to fix this!

Thanks again!

Joris
May 29, 2009 11:13:02 PM

hey folks!!

I'm using Traktor Scratch Pro to dj w/ the audio8 soundcard. I have been pulling my hair out for the past bit trying to get my latency down. Its running at about 35-40 but every 15 seconds it spikes to above 500, so you can imagine what that does when traktor is running with the timecode. Ive gone throught the device manager, and stripped windows down to just about nothing. I actually formatted, and did the whole recovery process, and then added 2 more gigs of ram. It still won't help. I somehow stumbled this thread, its pretty interesting what you guys are saying about flashing the BIOS. Ive never heard of that. I'm not too sure if i would attempt that, but i may try unless any of you may have some ideas.

I'm running

toshiba laptop A210
AMD Turion 64x2 @ 1.9 ghz
4 gigs ram
windows vista 32 bit

Ive heard of a hacked xp, called tinyxp. I'm all for paying for software, and everything, but, f this is a vista issue, I would like to try tinyxp to see if it would work any better. Do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!!
Tim
May 29, 2009 11:15:37 PM

oops, i didn't realize this was for gigabyte only pc boards. sorry lads and lass's!
June 6, 2009 7:06:02 PM

I use a GA-EP35C-DS3R board (and Vista 64). When I start my computer, my latency is around 1500us, with a maximum of 9000 us. If I keep my computer on for a couple of days, the latency rises sharply -- right now, my average is 10000us and the maximum is 138787us(!). Music sounds horrible.

Disabling the onboard Realtek network adapter (which, by the way, uses the latest drivers) reduces the problem to its original level, but there has got to be a better solution than Never Using The Internet Again.

Any ideas?
August 19, 2009 7:36:48 AM

Hi! I just want to drop a note about how I solved the problem. I also dopped it here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-motherboards-dpc-la...

Hope it helps!

2 months or so ago I got a broken P35C-DS3R (Rev 1.x) from a friend because I fired up my DFI. I fixed the broken board, installed my hardware and had some time to be happy... till I installed Windows XP and tried to listen to some music with my Creative X-Fi audio card. Massive crackling and drop outs occured which drove me nuts. I did some research and found this and another thread about the DPC latency problem, grabbed DPC latency checker and saw that I suffered from the same problem.

Ok, enough background story, what did I do to finally fix it? At first I tried out BIOS versions F10 and F12, no enhancement. After that I downgraded to the old F4 BIOS, well it helped somewhat but I wasn't satisfied at all with the results. My next step was to contact the Gigabyte support team and ask for a beta BIOS because that's how (most of) the other people fixed it. They send me BIOS version F12f and suddenly the massive latency spikes seemed to disappear.

Well, not long after I installed Vista (64Bit) and the problem occured again, but only in Vista, XP was still running fine. So I again contacted the Gigabyte support and they told me that the problem is fixed with the F12(a?)* and above and I should uninstall all my installed drivers and update them to the newest version and retest. I did, still the same problem but I found out that if I run the tool CPU-Z *massive* drop outs accour. Well, they told me that's normal and I should remove the audio card and retest. I don't now if I did because it's some time ago, but I think so... But hold on, we are getting to the end!

Yesterday I installed Win7 64Bit (which by the way suffer from the same latency problems as Vista) and did some systematic tests. I noticed that the latency spikes occur while copying files from my SATA drives (I did not test IDE drives) but they seem to occur a bit arbitrary, sometimes more, other times less. I found a way to make the spikes really heavy: open IE 8 and surfing while copying files from my SATA drive. Now the funny thing: I also found a way making the spikes disappear! Running a program like Prime95 and stress my CPU while doing the same procedure.

I was a bit confused but found the problem quite soon: I had enabled CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU EIST in my BIOS which lowers the clock of the CPU if it don't get stressed by applications. So my CPU was swapping from 2400MHz to 4000MHz (yep, overclocked E8600) while copying files which caused the latency problems. I disabled C1E and EIST and the problem disappeared!

I just want to mention that I also tried to: disable hardware, deinstall / upgrade drivers, unplug every SATA cable that I don't need, use the ICH9 SATA ports / Gigabyte SATA ports, reinstall the OS. But in the end nothing but upgrading my BIOS and disabling the mentioned features helped.

I've gone a bit into detail in the hope others can make use out of my explanations and do some of the tests too if my solution don't work for them.

Cheers and a happy day! Keep away from latency spikes :) 

*maybe the "a" is a typo, because I never seen a F12a BIOS... maybe not

PS: My hardware:

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R (Rev. 1x)
Intel E8600 @4GHz
Nvidia 8800GT (G92)
6 GB Crucial RAM
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality PCIe
WinXP / Win7 / Linux

PPS: Some images from the problem

C1E and EIST on, low CPU load
http://img3.abload.de/img/c1e_eist_low_clockvg43.png

C1E and EIST on, heavy CPU load
http://img3.abload.de/img/c1e_eist_high_clockygfp.png

C1E and EIST off, low CPU load
http://img3.abload.de/img/no_c1e_no_eistzdt1.png
September 23, 2009 10:00:28 AM

Had a similar issue on two Gigabyte motherboards (EP35-DS4 and the X48-DQ6) on Vista x64 systems. Both computers are used as audio production workstations and the Focusrite Saffires connected via firewire were severely crippled in functionality because of very, very high latency spikes (pops, cracks and even complete audio loss).

I tried reverting/upgrading to every possible (official) BIOS to no avail whatsoever, tried disabling devices one-by-one and playing around with all device drivers even remotely possible to cause latency issues. PCI latency tools never worked on Vx64 and the only option left was to start going the 'change hardware' route. I tried switching memory modules, SATA drive ports (and changing cables), even testing the system with a couple of lowbudget graphic cards (in case clashes on the graphic accelerator could cause spikes). Nothing helped.

Until I read the latest post here from Mortan: switching off EIST and C1E functionalities worked beautifully. This IS the cause of all the latency issues on most Gigabyte motherboards with Intel CPUs, Im sure of it.

p.s.: And from what Ive heard about 'insider' beta bios versions so far, Im sure all their staff did was to revert the bios chunk of code related to EIST and C1E functionalities back to nonexistent. It is a speculation, but the "we just used the old code" answer from one of the technicians is fairly self-explanatory.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2009 11:17:22 PM

maddog2k you're a champion. Have had a mad real-time interruption for the last few days since taking out one drive of a 2 drive RAID 0 to send it to Seagate to be unlocked (firmware lockup). I unplugged the power on the other drive but left the SATA cable plugged in. Ever since have had audio and video glitches every 5 seconds or so and massive DPC latency spikes and been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to do as no amount of disabling and uninstalling achieved anything.

Just unplugging the SATA cable fixed the real-time processing glitches. But From this thread and others I also picked up on the underlying P35 DPC latency issue and have flashed the F6 BIOS for my GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard.

As result I've gone from:

to:

Whew - has been a very rough few days trying to figure this one out. Thanks all. :bounce: 

Steve
December 27, 2009 7:12:28 PM

Just thought I would throw out my thanks to you guys that have been posting in this thread. The TomsHardware forums ROCK too!

My music system has been dropping out for the past 2 weeks and I was going crazy trying to see what I might have done to cause it. Ran this utility and mine looked like so many of the others that were having trouble. I went thru the whole gamut of Device Manager disables/enables, and nothing was resolved. Next was a BIOS upgrade... NOPE! Next was chipset driver upgrade... NOPE! Went to TaskManager and began cruising thru there. I noticed this overclocking utility (that I never use) called ET6 (or something like that) so I decided to remove it. As soon as I did the spikes ALL went away. Musta been some kinda timer looking at/for something!

Thanks again, all you guys!
Davey
October 21, 2010 9:34:47 PM

OkieDave said:
Just thought I would throw out my thanks to you guys that have been posting in this thread. The TomsHardware forums ROCK too!

My music system has been dropping out for the past 2 weeks and I was going crazy trying to see what I might have done to cause it. Ran this utility and mine looked like so many of the others that were having trouble. I went thru the whole gamut of Device Manager disables/enables, and nothing was resolved. Next was a BIOS upgrade... NOPE! Next was chipset driver upgrade... NOPE! Went to TaskManager and began cruising thru there. I noticed this overclocking utility (that I never use) called ET6 (or something like that) so I decided to remove it. As soon as I did the spikes ALL went away. Musta been some kinda timer looking at/for something!

Thanks again, all you guys!
Davey

I also want to share my experience with Gigabytes ET6 program that came free with my X58A-UD3R (revision 2.0) Gigabyte Motherboard. Now I know this is a different motherboard then what has been discussed in this thread, but it is a Gigabyte board this type of problem could plague more than one type of Gigabytes boards.

Anyway, while running ET6 (Gigabytes free overclocking tool) even if I did not overclock with the ET6 I got sporadic spikes in latency. As soon as I closed it, the latency disappeared. Gigabyte also has a program called Smart6 which includes a function similar to ET6. When I ran this program I did not get the unusual latency. But as soon as I chose an overclocking setting and restarted the computer, BAM! Latency back. I then tried overclocking my CPU just within the BIOS, after uninstalling both ET6 and SMART6. After windows booted the latency was normal until I started playing a more CPU intensive game, then the Latency would be off the map.... So as of right now...It seems to be an issue with overclocking my CPU on my Motherboard. Since then I have uninstalled both ET6 and SMART6, and determined that these programs where only part of the issue. While attempting to overclock in the BIOS I would still get sporadic latency. Only after I disabled the the CPU EIST Function or the CPU Enhanced Halt function in the BIOS. With these features disabled I have not had any issues, YET.

I have tested every other component other than my Motherboard for hardware and drivers that could affect my latency problem. The issue seems to be obviously between overclocking my CPU on this board.

Thanks!
Dane

System Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 (BIOS F2)
EVGA GTX480 GPU (260.89 Drivers)
Intel i7 920 2.67GHz (Nehalem)
Coolit Systems ECO A.L.C
3x2 Corsair DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) C9, 9-9-9-24
3x2 Corsiar DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) C7, 7-8-7-20
OCZ Vertex 2 (240GB) SATA II SSD
2TB Samsung HD (SATA)