Sign in with
Your question

HD3870 Gigabyte Temp question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 19, 2007 9:13:02 PM

I have done a bit of searching around and most people seem to have there 3870 idling at around 40-55 degrees, however mine is up around 65 degrees idle! Its in a good silverstone case with plenty of ventilation. The 1950pro it replaced idled around 50 (dual slot). I am using it to play bioshock in DX10 mode on vista64 and it seems to perform fine so the temperature doesnt seem to have any negative effect on playability/performace, but i am worried about lifespan.

If i install rivaTuner and force the fan speed to 45% it idles at around 43 degrees and the fan isnt that much louder to listen to.

- Is this an 65 an acceptable idle temperature?
- I cant seem to setup custom fan thresholds in rivatuner as the screen with all the graphs doesnt seem to monitor the card temperature correctly. The auto option doesnt seem to scale the fan up either. Only force fan speed seems to work. Has anyone succesfully got rivatuner or ATItool to correct scale the fan based on GPU temp?
- If 65 isnt safe is it okay to just set the fan to a forced 45% and leave it there? Or will this damage the fan long with long term usage?
- Is it worthwhile to take the HS off the GPU and try re setting it with something like AS5? (I dont have any experince with GPU's but have done a fair amount of HS work on CPUS and overclocking. I assume the application would be similar?)

Sorry for so many questions just a little bit concerned.
December 19, 2007 9:44:55 PM

I would check the Load temps. If they are over 90C then start thinking about aftermarket cooler i.e DuOrb.
December 19, 2007 10:31:00 PM

Leaving it at 45% is okay. Heck leaving it at 100% is cool.
Taking off the heatsink and applying AS5 is a good idea, however it may void your warranty.
Related resources
December 20, 2007 1:43:14 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Leaving it at 45% is okay. Heck leaving it at 100% is cool.
Taking off the heatsink and applying AS5 is a good idea, however it may void your warranty.

Ta, I might just try setting it at 45 ish tonight and testing the load temperature.
!