tenpastseven

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Hi there.

I recently bought an abit fp-in9 and 7950gx2 for a first build project. The first problem i have come across was the fact that the southbridge heatsink *the big blue one at the end of the PCIX16 slots* is in the way of my graphics card from slotting in. It says on the nvidia site that this mobo is compatable but it aint cause of the southbridge heatsink. Is it possible to replace the hs with a smallor narrower one and if so could some help recommend one and where i could get it. Or is it better for me to get another mobo?? Any help would be great=)

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

you sure that you have an FP-IN9 as afaik the heatsinks on that are all black.
Also afaik the sb hs should be below the height of the PCI-E slots?

abit-slots.jpg

tenpastseven

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
my hetsink is big and blue not like the balck one in that image you have shown. Does this mean i have a different version or something? or did the owner before hand have it replaced or something?

I would bet that it was replaced by the previous owner, probably because it was running too hot, or because he was OC"ing it like hell and needed a better cooling solution. Whatever the case, I'm sure you could replace it with the stock one (if that is the case) or get another one that allows room for the GPU.