Rate These Deals...Jump or Wait?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I'm going to be building a new system when the E8xxx series comes out.

This will be for a 24/7/365 LabWork System that needs Lots of Ram. Processing Power is not a Concern and the Penryn will likely not be highly OC'd since the E8400 will provide plenty of juice at stock.

In the mean time I'm scouring Deals.
I usually buy everthing at once, but since I need to wait a couple weeks, I'm just looking.

Sonata III Case with 500w Earthwatts PSU - $80 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024&Tpk=sonata%2bIII

8GB of RAM - $120 AR
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5220687

Should I grab one or both of these now?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking at the DS3L, but if the DS3R has a good sale soon, I will likely grab that. Let me know if you see a steal on either of these or perhaps a steal on an after market cooler. I will likely use stock since there will not be much OCing, but if a crazy deal exists such as nearly free AR, I will be silly not to.

winkgood

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Antec makes some of the best cases out there. I've owned Antec Aria, Super Lanboy 2, Nine Hundred, and Fusion and all are outstanding cases. PSU should be fine as the Antec Earthwatts are pretty solid. Its probably tier 3 which should be fine with a non overclocked system like yours.

I'd hold off on the ram as there are always good deals on memory and like the other guy said, look for some with better timings.

AND free shipping to boot!! Thats another $15 savings. $110 over at Zipzoomfly.
For round the clock ops an 80+ PSU like an Earthwatts is probably ideal.
The rebate is only available through the 14th.

Same RAM at NewEgg is $63 after rebate. That Fry's deal is only good through tomorrow - 12th.

Can't think of any reason not to jump in and grab them early unless you find a better deal before rebates expire.

For a $7 AR HSF look at CM Hyper 2 TX TX 2 Review

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Thanks for the HSF, That is th type of deal I was looking for.

Mazair, I know the timings are not great but the cost/performance ration is more important that a minor tweak. Especially with getting two sets of them. $100 for 1% performance is really not worth it.

I've even verified with OCZ that these particular module will work in the
Gigabtyte Boards I'm looking it.

Yeah, I really like the PSU because it's 80+ certified and has active power correction. I don't recall the Tier, but I think it was Tier III.
It's main drawback is that it provides relatively low power for a 500w PSU and that is why it's rated low. But my system will likely never even draw 150w so that will be fine.

Cheapo 7300LE Graphics just to have something to plug a monitor into.
(20w)

E8400 w/Mild OC - 35w under load. (OMG!)
RAM - 40w (Can't believe my RAM will use more power than my CPU!)
HDD - 15W
Misc Fans - 30w
Mobo - 15w

yeah the $ is good, also its Maziar not Mazair :)

tlmck

Distinguished
A G33 based board will give you some decent on board video, and save a few bucks.

Antec has also had the other Sonata with the 380w Earthwatts for $59 dollars recently. Will probably come around again soon. More than enough power for this type of build.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I bought the stuff as well as picking up a Sony DVD+R for only $23 & Free Shipping.

I've considered the G33 Series because of the build in Graphics, but I'm concerned about their BIOS options. Particularly RAM. I want to make sure taht I can raise the Voltage, Tweak Timings, etc... since often getting 8GB working is not so easy and the RAM is really needed. My 4gb systems are just always short of memory.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
If this comp is going to be used for 24/7/365 lab work and processor power isn't very important, don't even bother overclocking. A stock E6750 would be more than fast enough, not to mention an E8400.

As a side note, I have never tried to discourage anyone from OCing before. It feels a little weird.