XP install wont accept cd key

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Im trying to help my brother install xp on this pc he bought but when i enter the product key found in the unattend.txt,it wont accept it.Also,when he tried it yesterday(he lost the booklet and didnt know about the key in unattend.txt),he tried using the key off this old e-machine and it didnt work either.

He got the cd with a custom pc he bought at an auction.I dont know what version it is but it when you tilt it you see holograms and when you put it in a pc,its labled VRMHOEM or something like that.

The pc were trying to install it on is also custom built.

Im lost here,ive never had this problem.

Solution

the key you are using is the wrong key code. the key off the old machine is the wrong key code. you need the key code on the...

the key you are using is the wrong key code. the key off the old machine is the wrong key code. you need the key code on the software disk envelope, the disk you are installing only, and if you don't have it, it won't work.

Solution

jimb0b

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
allright,thanks ill look into that.

Are you sure thats what it is though?,he said hes installed it on like three machines and always used the label on the case.is that because its a custom built pc?.

All this OEM and different liscense keys stuff,i still dont quite understand.

You are only allowed to install it once. After that the key becomes invalid. It has been installed too many times on too many machines, it's spent. The key is used to prevent people from installing the same disk over and over on different machines. It's a security block. This insures that you will spend more and more money on software. Otherwise, bill would only have 3 trillion dollars instead of 8 trillion dollars. (and add your $60 to that total) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Whoops there's one more thing: If the custom built computer had vista installed on it first, you won't be able to install XP. Vista prevents the computer from being set back to an earlier operating system.