Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My Computer Displays Drives Slowly

Last response: in Windows XP
May 16, 2010 2:34:51 AM

Hi!
When i open "My Computer" it displays drives after 45 seconds.
I have disable WIA and Network Drive Mapping.
Please help some one :) 
Thank You
May 16, 2010 3:28:41 AM

sworoop1990 said:
Hi!
When i open "My Computer" it displays drives after 45 seconds.
I have disable WIA and Network Drive Mapping.
Please help some one :) 
Thank You

You have too many applications installed, not enough RAM memory. This slows the machine to a crawl.
m
l
May 16, 2010 4:03:29 AM

RAM is a possibility. What are your hardware specs?
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2010 12:25:31 PM

Motherboard : Asus P5KPL AM/PS
Processor : Core2Duo 2.93 Ghz (E7500,i think)
RAM : 3 GB DDR2 800 MhZ
Video : 9500GT 1GB
HDD : 500 GB WD Caviar Green

I have a Webcam and HP printers attached.
but non of them were attached when the problem started happening.

All Partitions 99 percent free.
New fresh hard drive.
8 Partitions(may b that's the problem)
The problem happens just after a fresh install.

I have Windows 7 and Windows Xp in dual boot.
Both work smoothly with the exception of this particular "My Computer" problem.
The "My Computer" problem doesn't happen in W7
m
l

Best solution

May 16, 2010 12:53:03 PM

Hi sworoop1990. It may be the 8 partitions that are making Windows Explorer going through some intense reading of those drives, though I'm only assuming this. But it seems with those spects you have given Windows should be able to handel this task. Possibly, soundguruman hit the nail on the head. Free up any system resources from your startup and background programs unnecessarily running. With using System Configuration Utility (Click Run, type in msconfig, enter, then go to the Startup tab) and this website http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.... , as a guide to safely remove (must be very careful in here as you could shutdown needed system processes) any un-needed apps from zapping your resources. Just use the site as a guide to identify the processes running and it will tell you if it is a needed Windows function or not. When you make a change you'll have to reboot and upon rebooting Windows will scold you for the changes. Just make sure to check the checkbox at the bottom of the prompt (Don't ask me this again"..?) or else Windows will undo all that you have done and more...GWB56

NOTE: The steps above will help anyone's' system to regain some of its' resources, but your problem could be those 8 drives.
May 16, 2010 7:14:36 PM

well there you have it, XP and 7 do not go so well together, they are using two different file formats, and lord knows what differences in drivers. Then you are running it on a motherboard that was never designed for windows 7. And the bios? which one was designed to run 7 and XP selectable? OK you need .NET framework i think for the HP printer, and the web cam.
But, no,no,no, aghhhhh! You do have too much stuff on that system. No wonder it takes so long to start, I'm amazed it even starts at all.
I would personally run just XP, and abandon this fantasy of dual boot 7 and XP on the system with (EIGHT) drives??? This is experimental, to put it mildly.
You do however get the award for most creative configuration.
m
l
May 17, 2010 3:02:29 AM

soundguruman said:
well there you have it, XP and 7 do not go so well together, they are using two different file formats, and lord knows what differences in drivers. Then you are running it on a motherboard that was never designed for windows 7. And the bios? which one was designed to run 7 and XP selectable? OK you need .NET framework i think for the HP printer, and the web cam.
But, no,no,no, aghhhhh! You do have too much stuff on that system. No wonder it takes so long to start, I'm amazed it even starts at all.
I would personally run just XP, and abandon this fantasy of dual boot 7 and XP on the system with (EIGHT) drives??? This is experimental, to put it mildly.
You do however get the award for most creative configuration.

Thank you soundguruman and gwb56 :)  for recommendations.
Thank you soundguruman for the award, really appreciate it.

Now to the topic :

Asus P5KPL AM/PS is designed for Windows 7, or so it says on the site and the packaging of the board.
This problem happenes after a fresh install of Windows Xp.
Note : W7 does not have this problem and runs buttery smooth.
This problem happens only in Xp.
Even before i installed W7 in Dual Boot.
W7 is not the problem(and i need W7, to play Just Cause 2)
Yes, i have EIGHT partitions of a single drive. NOT EIGHT drives.
.Net Framework version 3.5 has been already installed.
Thank you.

m
l
May 27, 2010 12:23:06 AM

Best answer selected by sworoop1990.
m
l
!