Crossfire 3870 on Asus P5E not working with 8GB

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Asus
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2007 1:43:31 AM

In the Catalyst Control Center app, when I click on enable Crossfire with 8GB on an Asus P5E, my screen would go black and just sit there. I also got a few blue screens (Vista Ultimate 64). After several iterations of driver unload and loads, I ran into another board where someone had the same problem and figured out that if he took out 4GB of his 8GB, enabling Crossfire worked just fine. So, I removed 4GB and it enabled just fine.

Anyone else run into this? I'm not sure if it's the Asus board or with the ATI cards and Crossfire.

Other than checking into the CCC app every so often to make sure Crossfire is enabled, how do I know Crossfire is really working?

More about : crossfire 3870 asus p5e working 8gb

December 26, 2007 7:51:38 PM

I got the same problem...and it doesn't appear to be confined to asus boards. I pretty sure the problem is with Vista 64. I enabled crossfire on vista 64 on both an asus P5E and an abit x38 board with 8 gigs and identical hardware and my screen went black on both systrems and would not resume. I updated drivers and also installed windows hotfixes recommeded on the ATI website but none of that helped. When I took out 4 gigs (2 sticks) of mem, vista 64 worked fine on both boards.

I also tested crossfire on windows xp 64 and it works fine with 8 gigs installed. Also no problems with 32 bit os.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more complaints regarding this problem. What's the point of running Vista 64 if you can't run crossfire with more than 4 gigs of mem? I hope MS or ati find a solution to this problem soon.

Has anyone been able to run crossfire on Vista 64 with more than 4 gigs? If so can you identfy you setup.
December 28, 2007 4:10:07 PM

Hey, I also have a response in the MSFT Tech Forums and one guy is making a little progress. Here is his latest post. Seems to be a known problem.....

Hi everyone out there.

Hope you all had a good Xmas.

I'm now getting somewhere with this issue.

I have fitted all 8Gb of RAM to my board and made some tweaks here and there but to no avail.

I fitted a Raptor X HDD and all 4 sticks of RAM and reformatted with Vista64 Ultimate. This worked and all 8Gb showed and the system was very stable, BUT when i enabled Crossfire on the ATI Catalyst Control Center i was immediately faced with the BLUE SCREEN. Every time the crash free recovery started the pc up again it would crash on Windows load. I followed the Windows error repoting tool and followed the links but it recommends reinstalling the display driver or searching windows updates, which by the way doesn't fix the problem.

So i called ATI today and spoke to a very helpful chap who confirmed my conclusion that, i quote. "Yes sir we have had a number of calls from customers who are experiencing crashes and instability when running Crossfire with 8Gb of RAM and as of yet we DO NOT know why this is happening.

THERE IS NO FIX FOR THIS ISSUE YET ACCORDING TO ATI.

So my advise to all you gamers for the time being is this.

Fit all your sticks and whatever else you want to use and enable crossfire. If your machine chucks it de-populate the secondary DIMM's and 4Gb of RAM. This will allow you to still use Crossfire but not all your RAM. Lets face it 4gb really is enough but it would be nice to max out and see what performance is available.

I guess ATI will release a fix at some point so we will just need to keep checking for driver updates.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year.
Related resources
January 2, 2008 10:34:32 PM

I got a new response from AMD support and this seems to fix it for me. I'm now running 8GB crossfired.

The first two patches gave me back a response that it did not apply to my system (BTW, I used x64 hot fixes). The last two patches were applied and then I rebooted and then shutdown my system, installed the additional 4GB and BAM, it works!

CCC 7.12 shows Crossfire enabled, my Asus P5E Bios 0502 shows 8GB and other PC tools show 8GB RAM. The weird thing is that Vista only shows 3071 MB (yes, Megabytes!) on the basic information screen (right click on Computer). Ah, always something new! Vista did however, change the Windows experience score from 5.7 to 5.9 after I did a refresh (Control Panel > System Maintenance > Performance Information and Tools).

Anyway, please reply back if this works for you and confirm your memory readings. I don't know if this will hold because I've only been running on 8GB for about 30 minutes. Haven't played any games or run intensive apps yet. Good luck!

Thank you for contacting AMD Global Customer Care for ATI Products.

In order to address your issue, we highly recommend that you have installed all the required updates (hotfixes) for MS Windows Vista.

NOTE: Please install these updates manually since these are not included in the automatic updates that you receive.

737-30139: Microsoft Windows Vista Hotfixes for all RadeonT users

The Microsoft hotfixes that are listed below are recommended for people using a RadeonT based graphics card in Windows Vista.

Compatibility and Reliability:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194

Performance and Reliability:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

DirectX 10 and Crossfire patch:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936710

Virtual Address Space Usage in Windows game development patch:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):

RadeonT HD2900 series
RadeonT HD2600 series
RadeonT HD2400 series
RadeonT X1950 series
RadeonT X1900 series
RadeonT X1800 series
RadeonT X1650 series
RadeonT X1600 series
RadeonT X1550 series
RadeonT X1300 series
RadeonT X1050 series
RadeonT X850 series
RadeonT X800 series
RadeonT X700 series
RadeonT X600 series
RadeonT X550 series
RadeonT X300 series
RadeonT 9800 series
RadeonT 9700 series
RadeonT 9650 series
RadeonT 9600 series
RadeonT 9550 series
RadeonT 9500 series
Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
Windows Vista 64-bit Edition
Symptoms that are addressed by the Microsoft Hotfixes:

The following are a few symptoms that the Microsoft patches address:

The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver.
The computer stops responding, and you receive a "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error message. You can restart the computer only by pressing the computer's power button.
The computer stops responding or restarts unexpectedly when you play video games or perform desktop operations.
The screen goes blank after an external display device that is connected to the computer is turned off.
There are stability issues with some graphics processing units (GPUs).
Visual appearance issues occur when you play graphics-intensive games.
You experience poor playback quality when you play HD DVD disks or Blu-ray disks on a large monitor.
After you resume the computer from hibernation, it takes a long time to display the logon screen.
You experience a long delay when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
You experience issues with DX10 performance in Crossfire mode.
RadeonT cards with large amounts of memory (512 MB or greater) are causing virtual address space issues when using certain applications
Additional notes on these fixes are available from the Microsoft knowledge base links listed above.

Solution:
Make sure your PC is configured to install all Microsoft Vista updates available through Windows Update automatically.

Download and install the hotfixes listed at the top of this article (which are not available through Windows Update).

In addition, please ensure that you confirm that you system is compatible with MS Windows Vista - see the MS Windows Vista Hardware Compatiblity List. Ensure that you have updated your motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers (if available).

In you still experience these issues, please submit your comments through the Catalyst Crew Feedback Form for immediate consideration of your driver and software related issues for inclusion in future driver releases:

Catalyst Crew Feedback Form:

http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894...

We appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

Thank you for choosing AMD!

AMD Global Customer Care for ATI products
January 3, 2008 3:51:59 AM

Updates rock!
!