4x1gig Memory problem help...

izreal

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Hello all, I recently bought another 2x1gig RAM its all the same type PC2-5300.... But my motherboard had problems with them for some reason when i install them and turn on the computer its goes to the motherboard screen and doesnt load windows,, THEN... sometimes it loads windows and then when i restart the machine it doesnt want to load windows again it takes me like 4-5 restarts to get the windows load screen..

Im using P5N-e ASUS mobo.... I know windows doesnt allow more than the allowed number but when i installed all 4x1 it said 3.25 RAM thats not the problem.. ITS getting my system to turn on lol!!! I thought it might be a problem with the ram so i brought it back to the store and got a new pair and still has the same problem so now i link the problem to the mobo... because i have enough power on my PS to run it i checked that also i dont know what else to do!!! Maybe a problem in BIOS???? Help please....... Thanks.

neocortex

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
there are some things you can try
1- try to run the motherboard with the new rams alone and see if it loads fine...then try putting all 4 rams and start removing one by one...might be that one of the sockets is damaged...like first remove the first one from the right (3gigs remain) and then try to boot...if it didnt work then put it back and remove the 2nd one from the right and so.

2- try to check for a BIOS update and flash it with ASUS flashing tool

3- check the ram voltage in the BIOS and see if its set to the proper value as there might be some voltage instability issues

izreal

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
ok thanks for the reply, Ive just done a BIOS update relating to some problems with memory compatibility and other hardware issues testing, my ram voltage is set at auto at 1.8 its all correct... as for a damaged socket, might be checking all my ram again now because of my update.. wish me luck! lol

izreal

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
No not running Visa was going to wait untill a SP1 came out first for Vista and wanting to get 64.. waiting for cash also lol,..... Ok ive done the most strangest thing ever i tested all my ram sticks in single channels switching them around they all worked...

THEN i took my first slot stick and placed it in the 3rd slot and took my 3rd slot stick and placed it in first slot and computer turned on and works now.... Problem is tho when i put in my forth stick it loads up but stops loading at the windows screen and freezes hmmm so i said forget about the forth stick and left it at 3x1gig.... But im confused on the part where is says in CPU-Z that all 3 are in single channel?? whats up with that? hmmm thanks for reply tho...

izreal

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
How would you make a pair??? Something to do with BIOS??? because i thought that if you had 2 in 1channel it would automaticly make a pair??

loosscru

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Dual Channel means that you have two sticks working together. So if you have 4 slots, and the first and third slots are filled you have your Ram in dual channel mode. (usually it is 1 and 3 is channel 1 and 2 and 4 is channel 2, some motherboard manuals will start counting at 0 and go to 3, so adjust acordingly).

Therefore, if you have three sticks in your mobo, you can not be in dual channel because one of them would be alone without a pair.
So you are right, if you have 2 in 1 channel it would automaticaly make a pair, but if you put a third stick in and it is not paired with a fourth then the third stick is in single channel. The motherboard has to treat all the slots the same, so either they are all in dual channel (two or four sticks) or none of them are (one or three sticks).

Hope that answered the question

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
If you ahve all 4 in there, it should run dual channel.

Try increasing ram voltage past whats required. Standard ddr2 goes up to 2.1v so try what you want.

Also: Try increasing the northbridge voltage - it might be having trouble jumping through hoops to access the memory.

Bios update would be a must.